saddle sores

cyclevita

Dec 27, 2006
last year i experienced my first saddle sore while training for a few months in tucson. it was like a pimple but really painful. i couldn't stay on the bike for more than a few hours at best. finally in july i just couldn't ride anymore. i've used assos and always wear clean kits, but this was the first time i've ever had anything like this. i did over 7k miles in 5 months and it happened. pretty much shot my whole year out last year. i want to avoid this again, but i still feel a little pimple there, my question is did it ever go away and what is it? help please....
this is a kinda icky subject but would appreciate any input. i wanna ride :)

cyclevita said:
last year i experienced my first saddle sore while training for a few months in tucson. it was like a pimple but really painful. i couldn't stay on the bike for more than a few hours at best. finally in july i just couldn't ride anymore. i've used assos and always wear clean kits, but this was the first time i've ever had anything like this. i did over 7k miles in 5 months and it happened. pretty much shot my whole year out last year. i want to avoid this again, but i still feel a little pimple there, my question is did it ever go away and what is it? help please....
My advice on something like this is simple. See your doctor. When in doubt, see your doctor.

If they don't seem to know much about the problem, get another doctor.

Wayne

cyclevita said:

Did you ever find out what was going on? Thanks. I heard hemorroids are a popular issue among cyclists.

cyclevita said:
Hi,
i had the same problem happen to me in the midst of my race season last year and it really shot the rest of my year. I thought i had a saddle sore too. it was just as you described. like a pimple. and it hurt to put pressure on it (like when sitting on a hard saddle). i went to the doctor a couple times and she would just lance it (make a little incision) and just drain the puss. But low and behold it would just come back again. Then the next time she cut in there she noticed what she thought was one hair that had doubled back and went back into the skin and had apparently gotten infected. so when she finally removed that hair, problem gone! i'm all healed up and it hasn't come back. and i'm ready for a better season this year. good luck!

Ariel said:
Hi,
i had the same problem happen to me in the midst of my race season last year and it really shot the rest of my year. I thought i had a saddle sore too. it was just as you described. like a pimple. and it hurt to put pressure on it (like when sitting on a hard saddle). i went to the doctor a couple times and she would just lance it (make a little incision) and just drain the puss. But low and behold it would just come back again. Then the next time she cut in there she noticed what she thought was one hair that had doubled back and went back into the skin and had apparently gotten infected. so when she finally removed that hair, problem gone! i'm all healed up and it hasn't come back. and i'm ready for a better season this year. good luck!

Thanks for sharing this info. Wow, it is too bad that they couldn't find that earlier. That makes a lot of sense.