Saddle Suggestions For 140mm Sit Bones? 155mm Specialized Toupe A No Go. 168mm Romin?

kokamiguardz

Jun 28, 2015
I tried the Specialized Toupe in 155mm, and it is a no go. I did an initial 100km and it seemed fine last week, but this week I did 2 60km rides the past 2 days, and my perineum is very very sore.
It didn't bother me while ridding, but after the fact it has hurt a lot.

I read that your saddle should be 20-30mm wider than your sitbones, but you do not see many 170mm rod bike saddles out there.

The Specialized Romin comes in 168mm, but it is rounded more so I don't know how that would work out. The big issue with trying that one out, is I will have to special order it from the shop I bought the Toupe from, and they do not allow exchanges on special orders so it will be a roll of the dice.

Phorm S 310 Max or the SQlab road saddles.

i have the Phorm, and it measures 175mm in width. Very nice saddle, but a little too wide for me now. I'm getting a SQlab saddle to replace.

Try the new Power Saddle from Specialized. Supposed to be a hybrid of all the best features of their other saddles. I've only gotten a handful of miles on mine so far and seems promising. YMMV.

I have the exact same sit bone width as you and also had that same Spec saddle for a while. I switched to a Fizik Aliante Versus. Even though I am very flexible and that saddle is supposed to be for the other end of the spectrum. It is very comfortable, even for hours on end, where the specialized had me numb and / or in pain after 90 minutes.

My Specialized Phenom is working out okay...I believe it's 143... i would suggest that.

although, if it's your perineum that's sore, maybe you should investigate something aside from the saddle itself.. maybe adjusting the height, maybe adjusting the fore and aft... sometimes that's all it is... I know that's what I had to adjust to find the right feeling and I do tons of Km's every week on a very stiff bike.

I don't know if any of this will be pertinent to the OP but I've been having issues with saddle fit as well. My sitz bones measure at 143. So, I have several 143 saddles. All are uncomfortable. BTW I've never heard that a saddle should be 10 mm wider than the sitz bones measurement. What I discovered over the past year was eye opening. First, the profile of the saddle when viewed from the rear is critical for me. Flat saddles do not work. What I need is a rounded saddle. I also am much more comfortable with a 130-135 width saddle. Unfortunately, it's been a trial and error sort of thing so I now have four saddles that are relatively new and unusable for me. Good ones too. A Specialized Avatar, two Paradigms and a Cobb. These days I am pretty comfortable with a San Marco Concor Racing saddle. But, even then I discovered that my saddle was a little low and when I raised it the saddle was even more comfortable. So, in short, it isn't always what it seems and fit to the bike is important.