Saddle suggestions?

Elliott Selman

Nov 28, 2011
So after about 13 years of not riding a bike, I decided to blow my tax return on a new bicycle yesterday:D (Well, I had been thinking about it for almost a year, and found it was time...plus the bike was more or less "free")
I didn't want, or need anything over the top fancy, so I bought a Trek 820. Took it out on a 15.5km ride today, to get into the swing of things, and everything about the bike is great! (My first name brand bike). However, the seat is less than comfortable.
Just wondering if there are any suggestions on what to buy, or not buy. I dont want to blow a lot of money. Im thinking under $80 if possible. I like the small lightweight factor of the stock seat, but I would like something MUCH more comfortable.

Thanks for any tips :)

Elliott Selman said:
So after about 13 years of not riding a bike, I decided to blow my tax return on a new bicycle yesterday:D (Well, I had been thinking about it for almost a year, and found it was time...plus the bike was more or less "free")
I didn't want, or need anything over the top fancy, so I bought a Trek 820. Took it out on a 15.5km ride today, to get into the swing of things, and everything about the bike is great! (My first name brand bike). However, the seat is less than comfortable.
Just wondering if there are any suggestions on what to buy, or not buy. I dont want to blow a lot of money. Im thinking under $80 if possible. I like the small lightweight factor of the stock seat, but I would like something MUCH more comfortable.
Thanks for any tips :)
What about the saddle didn't you like? Where did it cause pain? Please note that saddle discomfort/pain can be caused by things other than the saddle, namely improper saddle position (for/aft, angle) and sub-optimal bike fit. Unfortunately, the saddle is one bit of kit for which recommendations often don't work. Saddle choice is highly personal, and what works for one person very often doesn't work for someone else. The best way to find a saddle that works is to keep trying them until you find the one that is best. Any bike shop worth your money will allow you to test saddles or return saddles in exchange for another if the one you purchased doesn't work.

You might also hang in there for a bit. If you haven't been riding much lately your contact points may be a bit sinsitive for a few more miles. After a few more short rides it'll probably get better.
A good saddle (the one that's right for you) though will benefit now and later.

Are you riding in cycling shorts? Is the bike correctly fitted/adjusted to you?

Badwolf gave you some fair advice. Hang in there and make certain it's just not the newness of contact with the bike that's causing discomfort.

Thanks for the replies :) The saddle just seemed pretty hard, I guess. I will definitely need to go on a few more rides to "toughen up". Was browsing at the shop I got my bike at, and there is one that is more or less the same size, but with more padding, and its only $30.
I dont have biking shorts, but I see (Again, Im sort of new :p) that they make loose fitting bike shorts, with the padding? Seems like something Ill buy this summer for sure. Sadly, I am on a budget for this stuff, so Ill have to acquire things as I go along this summer.
Thanks again, and I am excited to get back into biking! I need to get into better shape, and this is something I can have fun doing, as well!

Originally Posted by Elliott Selman .

I dont have biking shorts, but I see (Again, Im sort of new :p) that they make loose fitting bike shorts, with the padding? Seems like something Ill buy this summer for sure. Sadly, I am on a budget for this stuff, so Ill have to acquire things as I go along this summer.
Also available are padded underware, aka "liner" shorts, that can be worn under regular shorts, and usually for quite a bit cheaper. Regular cotton undies retain moisture and can become very uncomfortable on a warm day fast. There is no substitute for a good pair of bike shorts on a long ride, but these can be a good compromise for budget, comfort, and extending your street clothes into the bicycle zone.

Something similar to this: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_132249_-1___202484

I forgot all about the padded cycle clothing. That's a big help all by itself.
I started out the first ride of the year on a new bike and got a bit sore before I had finished my ride.
As is usual for me, I tend to over do things so my first ride was a few more miles than I should have gone for the beginning of my riding year.

Originally Posted by Elliott Selman .

Thanks for the replies :) The saddle just seemed pretty hard, I guess. I will definitely need to go on a few more rides to "toughen up". Was browsing at the shop I got my bike at, and there is one that is more or less the same size, but with more padding, and its only $30.
Thanks again, and I am excited to get back into biking! I need to get into better shape, and this is something I can have fun doing, as well!

Your **** needs more miles before it smiles. And yes by all means get a good pair of padded shorts, not the gel kind though, but plan on spending at least $45 for shorts with a chamois. Personally I like mountain bike shorts because I don't like the naked bulging package look but that's just me.

Do not buy a seat because it feels squishy and soft with your hands, those super padded seats are actually less comfortable on long rides then harder seats, the soft seats are great for riding around the block but not after a 3 or 4 miles. Wait a few months before buying a seat and see how you feel once you have some miles under your ****.

You can save money on some clothing articles like socks and jerseys where you shouldn't have to spend more then $20 for a jersey, in fact Walmart or Target jersey that uses 100% polyester for about $12 works just fine; and Walmart or Target 100% polyester socks for $6 for 2 pair work great as well; but you can't go cheap on the shorts...sorry. However, if you keep your eyes open to the big internet cycling stores or Amazon you can find nice shorts that normally sell for around the $65 range for around $45. Read reviews on any short you might be interested in and buy only those that got the higher end of the reviews. You can also get cycling specific jerseys on sale for around $20 on Amazon that would normally retail for about $35 to $40. Some of the Walmart and Target jerseys will fit looser, but I use to live in the high desert of California and rode in 100 plus degree weather and found that a slightly looser jersey would allow air to circulate between the fabric and the skin and I was a bit cooler vs a tight fitting jersey. Walmart or Target jerseys are not cycling specific so they don't have the pocket in the rear, if that's important for you then get a cycling specific jersey on line for as cheap as you can find. I also prefer plain unprinted jerseys because I don't like looking like a rolling billboard, but I do buy neon colors like Lime or Yellow for higher visibility on the road.

If your careful and not buy into the cycling hobby snobby clothing hype you can get your kit cheap without sacrificing comfort.

The problem with softly padded saddles is that instead of providing firm support under the pelvic bones, the padding smooshes down, and then all that softness in the uncompressed regions pushes up into places it isn't supposed to. Experience and training will toughen up the soft tissue over time.

In the mean time, make sure the saddle is more or less level, not too high, and positioned so your pelvis is squarely supported by the widest part.

Even as a daily commuter who does 15-20 miles a day, if I take a vacation that didn't have riding included I notice the sore butt muscles. It is something to keep in mind that, as stated by a few, it can take up to a couple weeks to build up past the muscular stage to tell what is in fact needed. When that stage is reached, you may find you want a wider one or a narrower one than initially thought.

I would try to wear proper pants with good polsters. they can do wonders!!