Saddle time and PSA tests

tree queer

Jan 13, 2010
Does anyone have any evidence suggesting a correlation between time on a bike seat and elevated PSA levels? I would appreciate any information you could share. Thanks

tree queer said:
Does anyone have any evidence suggesting a correlation between time on a bike seat and elevated PSA levels? I would appreciate any information you could share. Thanks

What's PSA?

Prostate Specific Antigen, elevated levels of which correlate with a higher probability of prostate cancer.

jarodwinn said:
What's PSA?
I've been riding about 5K miles a year for the last decade. Last fall after my annual blood lab, doc said I've got one of the lowest PSA he's ever seen, particularly at my age (62). So, based on my experience (n=1), would say that cycling lowers PSA.

If my blood pressure and cholesterol levels only looked as good, I'd be set to ride forever :)

My advice to any one who is concerned about there PSA is to pay the "big buck" and get a saddle that has a midline split. PSA is just an average number not to many urologist use PSA as a definitive answer to prostate problems, its the getting up at night, frequent urination, etc... I would recommend a baseline exam before the cycling season then after the season get another exam. There is not much information on saddles and prostate cancer, I genetically inherited my prostate problem (BHP). Actually I more worried about my type II diabetes then prostate CA.