SADDLE WIDTH QUESTION

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by roubaixjoe, Dec 15, 2009.

1. roubaixjoe

roubaixjoe New Member

Ok may be stupid question but I know everyones "butt" is different but....
    I've sat on one of the cushions that is supposed to measure your sit bones and I'm supposedly around 143mm wide. I've been looking at SMP (to expensive and not a LBS that has one to even look at. I also like the Selle Italia Max Flight Gel, thanks to a response from another cyclist that recommended it. The Max flight is 150mm wide and most of the SMP's are narrow 129-137mm (at least the ones I like. My question finally is - if had to go up or down in width in relation to my actual sit bones is it better to go narrower or a little wider? Or does it matter??

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Actually you should get a saddle that is a little wider than your sit bones to begin with. Never get a saddle that is narrower than your sit bones, otherwise your weight is going to be supported by the soft, sensitive tissue and nerves between your sit bones which can be very uncomfortable and can end your sex life. 150mm is good for your width, or even a little wider wouldn't hurt. Good luck getting a saddle that you like. If you can, find a LBS that has an exchange program on new saddles in case you get one and don't like it. I know Performance shops have the exchange program and a couple of others in my area.

3. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

:D Glad you liked the max flite idea. If it makes you feel any more comfortable I also measured a 143mm, and the max flite fits me perfectly.I think you will really like it! The thing you need to remember is that just because the max flite measures at a 150mm, you need to remember that you have the entire length of the seat to use. I feel most comfortable with my seat more forward and sitting on the back of the saddle. Some like to sit in the dead middle of the saddle, but it all depends on what you are doing at the time on your saddle (climbing, descending, flat road just pedaling...etc.). So just remember that you can use different parts of the saddle which will feel most comfortable to you. The things I like most about the max flite is that the channel down the center is wide and cushioned along with a nice flex that feels nice while riding. Good luck!

4. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

The saddle width measurements don't take into account the shape of the saddle. Some (like Sella Flites)round downward significantly so that the outside portion offers no/little support of the "sitz bones".

FWIW, I measured ~125mm on the cushion thingy. I went from a Flite to a Specialized Toupe (143mm). It works for me and has halted most/all of the hip wiggling that I believed was causing tightness in my QL's.

In the end, saddle choice is incredibly personal. You need to try several different saddles and see which one works for you and the way that you sit on the bike.

Dave

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

There's a few good points in there - all of which I considered when getting my Specialized Toupe a few years ago. The Toupe cames in a few widths (I got the 143mm) and the local bike shop said they'd swap it out for a different size if it felt really uncomfortable on the first couple of rides. It can't really say much about it other than I don't really notice it when I'm riding which I guess is the ultimate goal of a saddle.

Following that experience I got the Specialized BG shoes - which were equally as impressive.

I think I need to give their gloves a go!

6. jellymuscles

jellymuscles New Member

you might want to go to a bike store that carries the selleanatomica and try it. It is a leather saddle similar to the
    Brooks B17 in basic construction only it has a slit down the middle. You can buy it on ebay but first take a look at www.selleanatomica.com . Everyone I know who uses one for long distance riding loves them.