Saddle Woes!!!

bangacan

Apr 30, 2005
What kinds of saddles does everyone ride? I am on my 3rd saddle and still get pain after 45 minutes. The first one was a Selle Flight which sucked. The 2nd was a Specialized BG comp and was not much better. I now have a WTB Rocket V which I like better because of it's more contoured shape. It's more like my old Selle Italia Turbo saddle which I don't remember causing me as much pain. Maybe I'm getting older but I hope there is a solution. Any thought???

I went through five saddles before I found the right one. Started with an inexpensive Selle - mashed the soft tissues after an hour. Tried Fizik Pave, but got sore. Same with a Serfas dd vado - a bit better, but after an hour I was wiggling around trying to find a comfortable position. Someone gave me a Fizik Poggio, but it just didn't feel right. Selle TransAm was actually pretty good, but you had to sit on it just right or you got sore, very narrow sweet spot.

A few weeks ago, I blew a bunch of money and bought a Fizik Aliante. That did the trick. Ran my favorite 25 mile loop, and came off fresh as a daisy.

Unfortunately, everyone's behind is a bit different, so what got my vertical smile to start smiling again might not be right for you. You'll probably have to go through the same process.

Take a look at:

Specialized Alias
Fizik Arione
Koobi PRS

All three tend to get very good reviews, and although everyone is different, it could be the answer for you.

John

flites do as you state. reason is, the rails are so close to the saddle shell in front they constantly bottom out sending shock waves to your, er, brain.

i use exclusively the San Marco Rolls Titanio.

non embroidered version.
you still see these in the pro, and sunday, peloton. it has been an enduring standard since through the decades for a good reason...

the density of the padding, the shape with flat surface to move round on, resistance to deflecting into a dreaded "hammock shape", firm enough to provide stable platform for applying power, ti rails taking the big hits...these all come together so well i often forget all about it. hmmm, a transparent saddle.

serious road riders tend to stick with the saddle they used when they started, if it works. lookit lance and popo aboard the concor for example.
too bad some started with the flite and its' ouch ouch minimalist ilk.

i have a couple, the broken in one is best. it moves from old to new bike.time and again.

www.excelsports.com has 'em. i get used from ebay, some may be "upgraded" to a flite, my gain.

for the staionary trainer, where saddle pressure increases, this due to sitting there with relatively low pedal pressure compared to the road, i use only
Bel Air SDG Comp Ti. this is a truly comfy saddle for this.

when it comes to saddle comfort my two cents...

when your postion is setup for the road with resultant weight on the pedals and hands on cork taped bars you will maximize saddle comfort.
with miles also you will hover over the saddle courtesy of pedal pressure applied via the legs, gettin' more comfy.
also absorbing the hits by slightly standing before you get to them, and they get to you.

the saddles you describe here post-flite are not apropos for the road in any time honored sense.

bangacan said:
What kinds of saddles does everyone ride? I am on my 3rd saddle and still get pain after 45 minutes. The first one was a Selle Flight which sucked. The 2nd was a Specialized BG comp and was not much better. I now have a WTB Rocket V which I like better because of it's more contoured shape. It's more like my old Selle Italia Turbo saddle which I don't remember causing me as much pain. Maybe I'm getting older but I hope there is a solution. Any thought???

bangacan said:

The problem may not be with your saddle...it may actually be the padding in your riding bib or shorts. You'd be surprised how a good quality short with good padding can make even the mist uncomfortable saddle completely bearable.

Tailwinds,
Vector7

i got through 6 different saddles before settling on a fizik arione.

every saddle has got to hurt a bit, sooner or later, and this can often be the only "unsolved" source of pain for the cyclist - except for a burning in the legs of course! thats why its easiy to be fanatical and why i always wonder if something i havent tried would be more comfortable.

try a few - there is a good second hand market for saddles on ebay and yo ucan usually recoup 2/3 of what you paid - therefore getting the "option" to try one for 1/3 the price.

Vector beat me to it. I was having saddle issues too but just bought some Castelli Kiss shorts and was amazed at what a difference they made. I haven't done any really long rides so it's not to say I won't still change my saddle, but up to 2 hours all is well. If you're getting sore after 45 mins maybe it's worth considering this.

I have been wondering that as well. I have Performance brand Elite big shorts with a gel chamois. I have tried on Pearl Izumi bibs but have been reluctant to drop that much cash. I have also been thinking about my position on the bike. I'm going to ask at a shop that I trust about my riding position.

Vector7 said:
The problem may not be with your saddle...it may actually be the padding in your riding bib or shorts. You'd be surprised how a good quality short with good padding can make even the mist uncomfortable saddle completely bearable.

Tailwinds,
Vector7

bangacan said:
I have been wondering that as well. I have Performance brand Elite big shorts with a gel chamois. I have tried on Pearl Izumi bibs but have been reluctant to drop that much cash. I have also been thinking about my position on the bike. I'm going to ask at a shop that I trust about my riding position.

I can't imagine riding on something as impermeable as a gel chamois. You don't have to go as far as P.I. bibs to get good comfort. Lots of good shorts out there.
Of course, if you can afford the P.I. bibs, they are almost a sure bet for comfort.