Saddleco Flow review?

What's the deal with the Saddleco Flow?

• I've tried it and it's great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've tried it and it's ****.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I haven't tried it, but I'm interested.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I've never heard of it.

Votes: 31 75.6%

• Total voters

captmega

Mar 10, 2003
Ok, it's starting to get warm enough to ride here in CT, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has gotten a chance to demo the new Saddleco Flow saddle? What are your reviews of this thing? Is it the technological breakthrough they claim it to be?

...for this saddle to come out so I can try it, but have not seen it at any retailer. Even Performance has it listed, but has not been able to get it into stock. Their website says it will be available for delivery on 3/28.

So, I'm hopeful I'll get one to try out soon. I think it's a very promising product, for sure!

Cheers! :D

Problem is I heard the first batch was recalled.

Also only one distributor thus it may cause for problems as they may pick and choose whom sells. Thus it may be hard to get, but the company is so small they could never do the job of distributing.

At least they will keep it controlled and no OEM will hit the market so everyone will receive fair prices and a quality seat with real service and warranty. That is the great part.

Just keep on waiting.

Originally posted by captmega
Ok, it's starting to get warm enough to ride here in CT, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has gotten a chance to demo the new Saddleco Flow saddle? What are your reviews of this thing? Is it the technological breakthrough they claim it to be?

Saddleco is now selling factory seconds of their saddle. go to
www.saddleco.com and clidk where to buy, and send an email.
I'd link you directly to the sale page, but I did that from work. I'll get the link from work tomorrow.

Anyway, the saddle is great. I rode it for the first time saturday, and it took some getting used to, but after a few miles, I never thought about it again. IN fact, it was the first ride I was on in months where I didn't get numbness in the *****.

With as humid as it's been here the past few days in the Midwest, I'd buy one of these saddles in a second if the seats are as comfortable as claimed... I'm sick of standing-up to "air-out-my bumm" because there is no ventilation in my saddle or my shorts :eek:

Hello All,

I am president of SaddleCo and they are available now. Here's the way to get them.

1. Go to a bike shop. They can get them at Quality Bicycles who does have them in stock at this moment.
2. www.performancebicycle.com also has them or will back order them for you.
3. We have factory seconds that have some level of material coming through the side at a reduced price.

Yes, our first shipment was recalled - or actually never was shipped because the fabric was too loose. It shouldh't have happened but did.

I don't believe it would be professional to make sales pitches on this site and I question how much anyone would believe me anyway but we are very happy with the results.

Sir,

I have my shop here and wanting to know if we can buy direct. We do not deal with QBP which is weird but since we run all online sales they refuse to open an account.

At Interbike last year I signed up for some saddles and never heard back.

Please let me know.

JohnNeugent,

What is the 'life expectancy' of your new Flow saddles? I.e., are the expected to last forever, or will they lose their shape over a year or so and need replacing? Hard leather saddles seem to "get better with age", but the Flow saddle would seem to me like it may eventually lose it's shape... no?

I've got two rides and about 4 hours on mine so far. This is the first saddle that I've ever tried that felt like an old friend right from the beginning.
No reason to take it off - It's very comfortable and weighs 298 grams.
I'll comment again after I get a hundred hours or so on it.

Nice seats but just had a friend buy one of the 'recalled' ones on sale and his lasted about 80 miles before the back came undone.

However he loved it and we hope the finished product is very durable.

I bought a Flow saddle - a factory second, with minor cosmetic flaws. I proceeded to put 3 consecutive 80km days and 3 days afterwards, a hilly 100 miles! So far this is the "holy grail" of saddles for me. I would caution those riders that are heavy or require a wide saddle, as this saddle will not fit the bill. If you ride a standard or narrow saddle now, it should be fine. Comfort is amazing! I spent 6 hours on it and had no pain or numbness at all. I have tried alot of saddles inlcuding a Brooks B17 and a Koobi Silver, both of which I loved, but this is head and shoulders above them. If it proves durable (so far it's okay), it will be my permanent saddle as long as I contiunue to ride bicycles!

Originally posted by bornagainroadie
So far this is the "holy grail" of saddles for me.... I spent 6 hours on it and had no pain or numbness at all... If it proves durable (so far it's okay), it will be my permanent saddle as long as I contiunue to ride bicycles!

Oh great, now my credit card just came flying out of my wallet and I ordered one... it's all your fault! :p I should have it next week to *make sure you aren't lying to us* :D Besides, I need the SaddleCo saddle to go with my Hermann Miller Aeron chair...

Well, looks like I can be the first one to join the "tried it and don't like it" club :(

I got my Flow seat on Friday from PerformanceBike.com and was really excited to test-drive it on Saturday. My first thought, even before I got the seat on the bike was, "dang, this mesh isn't very rigid... how is it going to support my weight?" Well, the answer is, "it won't."

I'm 6'1", just shy of 175 lbs, and have a "narrow" frame... so I'm not too heavy or big for this saddle. However, within a few hundred yards of getting on my bike, the first thing I noticed is that I could feel the hard plastic frame of the seat almost all the way around. I almost turned-around and took it off, but I figured I'd finish my 40 mile ride and then decide if I like it or not... big mistake. I equate the ride on this saddle to riding on a plastic cookie-cutter. The edges of the saddle only continued to dig-into my rear as I road, and I was regretting that I didn't take the seat off.

Perhaps I got one of the seats that didn't have the mesh pulled tight enough... for Saddleco's sake, I hope so. In general, I guess I just don't like that hard plastic outer ring. I slide-around on my saddle quite a bit, and I found that plastic ring really uncomfortable no matter what, even if I had my rear slid off the back of the seat on a descent and my legs were resting on the seat. Sliding on the seat also seems to be a problem... my rear didn't really slide at all.

So, the saddle will be sent back as soon as possible, which makes me a tad upset 'cause I was expecting this thing to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden... however, it was the worst :(

Hello All,

This is John Neugent, president of SaddleCo, again and I just want to let you know that, at this point, we're getting about a 90% success rate with the fit. To be honest, I am pleased with that since many of the people who use it REALLY like it as you can see from the comments posted.

Our production testing shows that virtually all of the saddles are extremely close in terms of material stiffness so the chances are, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit.

Sorry about that.

We have very good ideas on how to make the next generation that will, hopefully, fit more people but that is still some time off.

Thanks,
John Neugent

What abotu the heavy rider comment brought up? I use a normal or narrow saddle but I weight 250 right now. will it work?

I am 175 and love the saddle. It did not work with the same adjustments as my old saddle. Had to tweak it about 3-5mm forward but after adjusting it I absolutely love it. I have ridden about 350 miles on the seat and have felt nothing.

I rode my Saddleco all summer and my butt enjoyed every mile of it. I'm 215lbs on a rode bike, I do mostly 50 mile plus and century rides. I'll also use the seat on my touring trips next year. I'm now a one seat man. I keep a collection of seats Ive tried over 10 years hanging in the garage. I recommend the seat to everyone that asks and I also recommend you wear pearlizumi microsensor shorts. The Saddleco seats not going to fix a problem with your shorts. As far as wear and tear on the seat it's holding up just fine. If it only lasted 1 season I would by a new seat every year it's been that comfortable. I at first noticed the cookie cutter feel of the seat and it went away after adjusting the seat.

I'm glad some folks are happy with the SaddleCo, but it was a nogo for me. I weigh 175lbs and have been riding on mostly Selle Italia saddles for 20yrs. I bought a SaddleCo from Performance, put it on the bike, and spun on the windtrainer for 60 seconds. It took that long to figure out that it needed to go right back to Performance. There was no way to sit on the saddle that I didn't feel the hard rim. Maybe it will work fine for smaller riders, but if you weigh 175 or more, give it a miss. Maybe they'll come out with another model for us normal size folks.

Bad weather on East Coast but I do have about 12 hours on it and so far it is pretty darn good. Not fantastic, but I do think it has very good potential with a little more consistant riding. I'm 190 lbs so small isn't a requirement.