Saddle's a pain in my ***

brad g

Jul 22, 2006
I am using the stock saddle on my Trek 7.2 fx, and at first it didn't seem too bad, but I wasn't riding a whole lot. Since I've started commuting to work, the rear-end pain has become cumulative, I guess because there isn't enough time to fully recover between rides. I was just wondering if this is something that I will adjust to, or will I need to replace the saddle?

Just curious, do you wear bike shorts when riding? The bit of padding they offer may help on that a bit.

I haven't been wearing bike shorts, don't really have the $ to invest in much right now since I tapped out on the bike itself. I will be getting the proper apparel asap. I usually wear cotton shorts and some kinda jersey type sleeveless shirt. I also figure that as I lose weight, the saddle will become less brutal. When I started, I weighed in at almost 260lb, but I'm at about 238 right now, and it's only been a month.

When I first got my mountain bike ( a cheapy from Wal-Mart ), the ride was absolutely terrible. The seat seemed to be created only to cause pain. That, combined with me not having any tools (mine were stolen) to adjust the bike to me (6'5) made it even worse.

I spent $20 on a new seat (of course, it's probely going to be a lot more for your bike) and adjusted my position. It was a huge change, and my riding was a lot more pleasant.

I've just started road biking, but I've noticed that with my bike shorts the ride is very pleasant compared to without. If you can get the spare time, shop around a bit. I spent $25 on my shorts (nothing fancy, but for now they more than do the job).

new saddles have a breaking in period, and your butt will need some time to be broken in as well.
it will get better.
good on you for the weight loss too!!
decreasing the load on your saddle has to help!

ok....you're 250+ and not wearing bike shorts? your poor butt doesn't stand a chance. you DON'T have to spend a fortune on bike shorts. but you DO have to have some padding. or get a padded seat. seriously.

and yes, your butt will definately get tougher. is the pain a numbness in your crotch? if so the seat might be angled up a bit. if it's just overall soreness, get some shorts and just put on the miles. or just put on the miles and the soreness will eventually go away.

It definitely manifests itself as numbness in my crotch, an extremely strange feeling. So you say that the seat is angled up too much? That's easily remedied. Since I'm going on a recreational ride tomorrow, I will fix that and try it. Thanks.

just make a very slight adjustments down and take test rides. the saddle should be pretty level. def the nose should not be up higher than where your butt sits.

I can see from here that the nose of the saddle is pointed up in relation to the back. I guess I didn't think of the possibility because I thought it was adjusted properly by the bike shop. But I will level it and bring my allen wrenches with me tomorrow to make minor adjustments.

The other thing to look at is whether you are sitting far enough back on the saddle. If not, move the seat forward on the rails so that your sit bones are on the wide part of the saddle. I was 265 pounds in December and am now down to 200. Moving the saddle forward and wearing padded cycling shorts made a bigger contribution to the comfort of the saddle than did the weight loss.

If your primary problem is numbness, I would stay away from the gell saddle covers. The numbness is caused by compression of the nerves and blood vessels in the soft tisue between the sit bones. The gell saddle covers tend to bunch up in the middle and add more pressure to where you do not want pressure.

brad g said:
I am using the stock saddle on my Trek 7.2 fx, and at first it didn't seem too bad, but I wasn't riding a whole lot. Since I've started commuting to work, the rear-end pain has become cumulative, I guess because there isn't enough time to fully recover between rides. I was just wondering if this is something that I will adjust to, or will I need to replace the saddle?
I understand how you feel. I got my first road bike about 2 months ago and that seat was something else. I dreaded sitting on it everytime I road. Shorts will defitnely help you out, they did me, and after awhile you will grow use to the seat. Your sit bones aren't use to having to sit on something so unforgiving but your body will adapt. Also tinker with your seat height and if that doesn't work that it may be the tilt in your seat, itself. Just stick with it and you hould be fine.

I did what you all suggested and tipped the front of the seat down a little, and also moved it forward a bit. The ride is much more comfortable now and I don't think I'll need a new saddle after all. No more numbness, except for in my feet after about 45 min. I can live with that. Thanks a bunch for all the advice.

nice. no problem. just keep putting on the miles and pretty soon you'll go from "oh ****. a hill" to "sweet! a hill! let's see if i can do it faster this time!" :D

remember every 5 minutes or so to get off the seat and pedal a bit. that'll keep the blood moving through your grundle.

also when your feet start getting numb dismount and jog a few meters (or until they have feeling again) and then remount.

Nashbar.com has some bike shorts for as low as $15. A lot of people here will tell you that you must pay $50 or more for quality shorts. Maybe, I say. I bought a couple pairs of $20 Ascent shorts, which are Nylon with a bit of strech Lycra and 8-panel, and "so far" they seem comfortable and breathable. As for durable, I'll have to see how they hold up at the end of next season I guess. Bike shorts make a huge difference, especially on long rides. At your weight you might be embarrassed, but once you wear them you'll never go back. :)

I don't know how much lighter I will acutally get because along with the cycling I am also weight lifting 3 days a week. I'm going for bulk right now as I lose weight so that I don't lose any strength or muscle. I'm not worried about how I look in bike shorts as much as I am concerned with buying any clothes right now because they won't fit me when I reach my target weight. I hate wasting money like that.

brad g said:
I don't know how much lighter I will acutally get because along with the cycling I am also weight lifting 3 days a week. I'm going for bulk right now as I lose weight so that I don't lose any strength or muscle. I'm not worried about how I look in bike shorts as much as I am concerned with buying any clothes right now because they won't fit me when I reach my target weight. I hate wasting money like that.
I know what you mean. The clothes I bought to wear at my nephew's wedding in April are two sizes too big now. On the other hand, I am in better shape now than I was 25 years ago. I only buy pants or cycling shorts or jerseys one at a time until I get to my goal.

brad g said:
When I started, I weighed in at almost 260lb, but I'm at about 238 right now, and it's only been a month.
It will get better as the fat starts turning into muscle. You're pinching soft tissue between the saddle and your pelvic bones. As muscle displaces fat, the padding on your butt will be better matched to the padding on your saddle.

But on the way, you might want to use a more thickly padded saddle. Often, dealers who swap these from new bikes will sell them cheap.

Treat yourself to a properly designed saddle

Check out the research published by Selle SMP and choose one from their range - you can pick them up on ebay from about UK£20