saddles and saddle sore

biocycle

Sep 27, 2003
Not to get too personal, but I get terrible cysts on my ass from riding. I do about 300 miles a week and there's been no way around it, I use it to get tough. However, its worse than ever this year. Any ideas as far as saddles that may help. I'm 6 feet tall and 153 pounds, so weight is not an issue. HELP!

Originally posted by biocycle
Not to get too personal, but I get terrible cysts on my ass from riding. I do about 300 miles a week and there's been no way around it, I use it to get tough. However, its worse than ever this year. Any ideas as far as saddles that may help. I'm 6 feet tall and 153 pounds, so weight is not an issue. HELP!

Not a saddle answer, but (butt?)...

A friend gave me three rules for avoiding saddle sores:

1) Get out of your cycling shorts, shower and wash well immediately after every ride;

2) Wash your cycling shorts after every ride;

3) Put triple antibiotic ointment "down there" after every ride.

...seems to work....

Good luck!

Know how you feel. I have a bony bum so I just can't use the regular hard mens seats; I use a female seat, nicely padded, and adjusted at a steep angle.

If anyone has some advice on this would be much appreciated. I've seen some of the new seats out these days with a hole in the middle, or a cut in the back to seperate the two seat cheeks, so maybe they flex a little to give some relief?

One piece of advice I can give is don't shave down there because the stubble is a killer, unless you go the full smooth wax :D.

Originally posted by biocycle

I'm familiar with the cyst problem. A couple of suggestions from my corner:

A liberal smearing of savlon antiseptic before and after every ride works wonders for me, topped off with a big dollop of chamois butter pre-ride.

My old grandad, a successful amateur racer in the 20s & 30s, swore by methylated spirits applied nightly to the "soft parts". I tried thi, and it's NOT for the feint-hearted, but after three weeks my perineum was tough as old shoe leather. I gave the practice up because my wife wouldn't come near me for the metho smell (and she thought I was insane fort trying it).

My buddy swears by anusol - a mild anaesthetic/antiseptic haemorrhoid cream

A liberal smearing of savlon antiseptic before and after every ride works wonders for me, topped off with a big dollop of chamois butter pre-ride.

I agree. Savlon works well for me too.

I keep banging on about them but the Fizik Arione saddle saved my riding. I had 3 or 4 calcified lumps that were agony after about 30 minutes. The flatter profile of the Arione, compared to my previous Turbomatic 3, alleviates the pressure and while I still have the lumps they no longer hurt. A different saddle to your current model may sort you out but it will be a case of trial and error.

In addition to the usual hygiene steps I also use Assos chamois butter applied liberally to the perineum and groin. I've heard about the methylated spirits tip but (on the recommendation of another Cyling Forums poster) I use a dermatological face wash.

Good luck.