Saddles for 200+ lbs riders

quantum

Mar 16, 2004
I’m 6’ 1” 200+ lbs. For the last 3 years I’ve been riding a Selle Italia Flight Ti Gel. (The gel part is a joke). I’m looking to replace the saddle. I’ve read and heard a lot of folks profess their allegiance to their favorite saddle. But most are less than 6 feet tall or under 180-190 pounds.
I want to hear from my fellow Clydesdales out there. What kind of saddle do you guys ride??

I'm 6'4", 200 lbs (during the winter anyway) and I have always liked the regular Selle Italial Flite Ti. However as I get older (and heavier) I'm finding that they're not quite as comfortable.

I have a Brooks B-17 saddle on my cross bike, which is about the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. However, I must stress that this is AFTER breaking it in! I have a WTB Rocket V Laser (I think that's what it's called) on my hardtail mountain bike and that's very comfortable too and much lighter than the Brooks.

Originally posted by quantum
I’m 6’ 1” 200+ lbs. For the last 3 years I’ve been riding a Selle Italia Flight Ti Gel. (The gel part is a joke). I’m looking to replace the saddle. I’ve read and heard a lot of folks profess their allegiance to their favorite saddle. But most are less than 6 feet tall or under 180-190 pounds.
I want to hear from my fellow Clydesdales out there. What kind of saddle do you guys ride??

The shape of the saddle, where and how padding is positioned, and how it supports your sit bones is what is important.

Saddle selection is not easy. It takes riding a saddle over time and many miles to see what works best for your anatomy.

I ride Terry Fly in steel rail and titanium rail versions. They fit my anatomy best.
I weigh 200 lbs.

I am 6ft. 3in. tall 210 lbs. I have been using Selle Italia Turbo's since the late 70's great saddle I just got a new TurboMatic 4 ,I really like it, but that doesn't mean you will.

it depends on your thighs too. mine are big so I need a really narrow saddle. my bones loved my brooks team pro but my crotch did not. nor my thigh's

I am not as tall as the rest of you, but the weight is pretty close. I am 5ft. 10in. tall at 195lbs. On my road bike I ride a Selle Italia SLR Ti (135gr). I put @ 2000 miles on that bike a year without a problem. On my mtn bike (hardtail) I ride a WTB Rocket V Stealth (195gr). On that bike I do @ 1000 miles a year. The Rocket V is the most comfortable saddle I have tried so far on my mtn bike.

Ron

I am 195 right now, and usually a little more in the winter, and find my best saddle combinations in the winter. Riding on the trainer, I finally settlled on a Selle Italia PorLink GelFlow. The shock absorption is great and the cutout in the middle fits just right for me. But everyone is different, and I went through several different saddles before deciding on this one. It's heavy and comfortable . . . and so am I.

I have a Terry Fly with ti rails and I am 6' 195. I've been riding for longer lately and have noticed numbness, and I frequently slip forward on it, no matter what the tilt. I'm looking for a saddle as well. the FLy gets lots of great reviews, but I don't like it much (also the cutout seems to dig into me). Just thought I'd add my experience with the Fly. I'm curious to see what other big guys are riding.

I'm 180-185lbs, 6'2", and having the same saddle deliberation issue. I haven't done it yet, but want to try a bunch side-by-side. I'm tyring to find a LBS that carries Fitzik's, Selle Italia flight's, San Marco's, and the like... so far no dice.

ccdriver said:
I am 6ft. 3in. tall 210 lbs. I have been using Selle Italia Turbo's since the late 70's great saddle I just got a new TurboMatic 4 ,I really like it, but that doesn't mean you will.

I rode one of those (Bernard Hinault signature model!) for years back in the '80s. When I got back into riding after a 10 year gap last year I tried it again. At 6' 0" and 216 lbs, it doesn't work for me anymore. Maybe the padding was just too old but I was getting saddle sores on pretty minimal mileage. So I bought a Specialized BG Comp saddle at the LBS and this made a big difference.

quantum said:
Koobi!!!!!!! I'm in your size range.. and I'm really glad I made the purchase. Expensive yes.. worth it.. yes. www.koobi.com

Saddles tend to be personal things though, but I've NEVER heard about anyone that didn't like them. I also hear the Fizik Arione is really nice, never tried one myself.

John

Both my dad and I are over 6'4" and over 210lb, my dad swears by a Specialized Comfort Plus saddle (from their "Comfort" line of saddles). I have one of their Body Geometry saddles from their Road line of saddles. They were both quite affordable and they've been quite nice.

The advice I got when buying mine was that it's a very personal thing and that everyone is shaped slightly differently and so would prefer different seats. My LBS said they would accept a return of the seat I chose for up to 2 weeks if I decided it wasn't right for me. Finding a place that will let you try a seat out seems like the way to go to me.

6'4" 245lbs, and am loving the Fizik Arione. The Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow was fine as well...Good luck in the search

I am 6'3" 218 lbs and ride a very nicely price pointed Serfas Seca saddle. I have had them all (even Brooks) and these rock.

Selle SLK- but I guess that is what works for me - I'm a circus act at 5'6" and 205. Love the Terry Fly too-especially for longer rides (dads bike has one), but don't have one yet. It's made by Selle Italia anyway

I'm 6' 215LB and use the Specialized Telluride saddle that came standard on my 04" Specialized Roubaix Elite. Its very comfortable and I've used it for 50+ mile rides.