Saddles for Heavier People

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
I've had a few posts about trying to get the right saddle. I've now been through a few. A stock Specialez that came with my bike, a specialized Romin, SMP Lite 209, and now a Selle Italia SL. I'm still getting some sit bone pain after 7-10 miles. I'm thinking of trying a Fizik saddle next. I'm a heavier rider around 220 pounds, does weight affect saddle pain? Is there something else I should be trying?

I'm a heavier rider around 220 pounds, does weight affect saddle pain?

Yes it does.

I've often heard saddles cry out in pain when heavy riders sit on them.

tsshhh booom!

I've heard from several sources that saddle padding should be generally matched to the padding on the rider's butt. In short, if your butt's soft, look for a softer saddle I've also heard that longer, slightly wider, more generously covered saddles work better for big riders. Check out the Regale and Rolls by Selle San Marco, and the Turbo and 1990 Flite reissues by Selle Italia. Also, WTB's MTB/road crossover saddles are worth a look. And I know a couple of 200+ pounders who are happy with Fizik's Aliante, the one for bulls. Beware, though, it is a bit short, so a big guy won't get much room to move.

Thanks for the article. One question, when you're measuring from deltoid to deltoid, where on the deltoid do you measure from, the top?

Originally Posted by jwroubaix .

Thanks for the article. One question, when you're measuring from deltoid to deltoid, where on the deltoid do you measure from, the top?
Not sure about what the scale is on the article and though the rule of thumb may work for some, it's better to measure actual sit bone width. Any LBS that sells Specialized should have the actual tool or you could just sit on a material that depresses, a padded cloth seat for instance, and measure the space between the two depressions that usually lingers for a few secs after getting up. A significant other could also do this right on your derrier with a tape measure, feeling for the bony landmarks. On the Specialized site they had an interesting anecdote from Jens Voight (a pro) some time back who was amazed that they now measure these things, and more amazed that some of the smaller guys on the team actually needed wider saddles than some of the big guys. Thats Jens though, who has a way of making anything sound amazing when it comes outta his mouth.

It has to be kept in mind that the sit bone measurement does not guarantee success. Consider it just a tool that might help identify saddles that might work.

Measure the distance between your ears...now...add 26 to that...then divide by 12 (unless you are south of the equator, then multiply by 6)...add your age to that result.

The number you get is the amount of money, in pesos, you need to speed. Any saddle in that price range, give or take 40 yuan, will be a perfect fit.

It's the scientific method at work.