saddles for pressure?

sam218

Sep 6, 2004
Are saddles with cutouts helpful for long rides? Do they solve an important problems? (Urologists' input welcome)

Not necessarily. Unless I'm the only person around with a weird *rse. (And no, I'm not posting any pics. :D)

I've tried half a dozen or so each of ordinary saddles and cutout saddles, and for me practically all of the cutout models were excruciating, even the near universally loved Terry Liberator (ouch!).

The only cutout-ish saddle I like is a Specialized Body Geometry something-or-other*. It's V-shaped rather than having the usual central cutout that closes off at the rear of the saddle. But it's not my favourite saddle.

* bought it from eBay, don't know the model

Mouse Potato said:
Not necessarily. Unless I'm the only person around with a weird *rse. (And no, I'm not posting any pics. :D)

I've tried half a dozen or so each of ordinary saddles and cutout saddles, and for me practically all of the cutout models were excruciating, even the near universally loved Terry Liberator (ouch!).

The only cutout-ish saddle I like is a Specialized Body Geometry something-or-other*. It's V-shaped rather than having the usual central cutout that closes off at the rear of the saddle. But it's not my favourite saddle.

* bought it from eBay, don't know the model
If you are trying all of these saddles, and none seem to work, then the problem may be with your shorts. Finding the right biking shorts is just as important as finding the right saddle when trying to solve the problem of a sore butt. Without biking shorts, my saddle begins to cause discomfort after about a half an hour, but with the right shorts I can go for hours with little or no discomfort.

I've ridden the larger saddles on hybrid bikes that have the cutouts in them and those that don't and I can't tell a bit of difference. On my own bike I do not ride with one of them.

gerardbjr said:
If you are trying all of these saddles, and none seem to work, then the problem may be with your shorts. Finding the right biking shorts is just as important as finding the right saddle when trying to solve the problem of a sore butt. Without biking shorts, my saddle begins to cause discomfort after about a half an hour, but with the right shorts I can go for hours with little or no discomfort.
Thanks, gerardbjr. :)
But I think I wasn't clear enough. ;)

I was trying to say that cutout saddles don't seem to suit me, while ordinary saddles do. With the exception of that Specialized, all the cutout saddles I tried were hideous. But most of the ordinary, non-cutout saddles were adequately comfortable for rides of say 1-2 hours, and a few were great even after 4 hours (e.g. Fizik Vitesse). The quick summary is that there was only one cutout saddle I liked, while there was only one non-cutout saddle that I hated. Which means I'd only try a cutout saddle now if you paid me!

However, I agree that the "right" bike shorts make a big difference too. I've got a fair collection, and there's a noticeable difference even between various styles from the same manufacturer. I just wish I could find some more of my favourite Nalinis...

[So,

What does the study from the european journal of urology mean?
I don't understand it.

What is mean ptc O2?
bakhurts
how does this apply to females?