Saddles: To gel or not to gel?

nssane

Aug 22, 2004
I don't live somewhere where I can just swing by the LBS and try out a few different models of saddles so I am stuck mail ordering stuff a lot of times. Most saddle brands seem to offer a model then for a few dollars more they have the same model with a gel option. Is getting the gel always a better way to go? Is it worth it to spend the extra dollars?

Specifically I'm looking for any input on Selle Itallia Flite Trans Am vs Selle Itallia Flite Gelflow or Selle San Marco Arami vs Selle San Marco Arami Gelaround. These are the four sadlles I've narrowed my mail order search to.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input.

nssane said:
I don't live somewhere where I can just swing by the LBS and try out a few different models of saddles so I am stuck mail ordering stuff a lot of times. Most saddle brands seem to offer a model then for a few dollars more they have the same model with a gel option. Is getting the gel always a better way to go? Is it worth it to spend the extra dollars?

Specifically I'm looking for any input on Selle Itallia Flite Trans Am vs Selle Itallia Flite Gelflow or Selle San Marco Arami vs Selle San Marco Arami Gelaround. These are the four sadlles I've narrowed my mail order search to.

Thanks everyone I appreciate your input.

Saddles are very much a personal preference thing. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. Unfortunately you have to ride one for a while to see whether or not it works for you.

Personally I don't like the "squishyness" of a gel saddle. When it comes to saddles less is more in my opinion.

I agree with Meehs on this one, though again, every ass is different. I've found that many modern innovations designed to improve saddle comfort -- cutouts, gels -- seem to work against my anatomy. My rear tends to favor flat, firm surfaces, as opposed to highly contoured, softer surfaces.

I think a big part of this that you can't overlook is your OWN 'gel' pad. (IE, your butt) How much fat and/or muscle do you have back there? I know after I lost a lot of weight I found that my rear was no longer as 'padded' as it used to be. As such, I chose a gel saddle since the hard seat became uncomfortable quickly. If you have well defined and firm buttocks then you probably won't need a gel seat. If your rear is 'lacking' inherant padding, then a gel seat may be wise.

Do you have any friends with a gel seat? Perhaps you could arrange to borrow their seat for a ride and see how it feels.

Regards,

Savant

Yep, those of us who seem to be on a lifelong pursuit of the ideal saddle often feel that gel has to be the answer but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

For me, and as others have said, this is highly personal, it seems to be more related to contour and shape than the softness of the surface. In fact, I have yet to sit on a gel saddle and think, "wow, that feels good." Under my butt, that gel can be just as hard as any other saddle.

And the big problem with saddles is that appearance has no correlation to comfort. Based on the appearance of comfort, the saddle I am currently using is probably the last one I would have bought, but it came on a new bike I purchased and just happen to feel very good right from the beginning. Go figure!

In your situation, my only advice would be to make sure you shop where you can get a return guarantee.

I bought an inexpensive Gel cover, from Bell, for my saddle. My problem was that the inner part of the seat seemed to cut into my bones more then I liked and I'm not even a supper thin guy. The gel padding helped improve the comfort for me. Getting a cover won't be as expensive and could be an inexpensive way to try out the gel comfort and see if you like it before buying a gel seat.