Saddles (yet again)

Status

Bryan

Guest
Hi all,

Yet another saddle question I'm afraid. I used to have a Brooks B17 that went on many a long ride
(most of Europe at one point), however I no longer have it. I have used a few different (Salle, WTB
etc) Ti saddles and found them to be not to bad, but this has mostly been on MTB's. I'm now doing
about 40-50 miles a day on my new touriong bike, and find that the saddle supplied is ok, but not
fantastic (my bum hurts a bit). So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles,
I've been thinking about getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight). GB Cycles
have got one for £65 (p+p inc) so it doesn't seem that bad a price.

So what do people think of them, are they worth the extra money or should I get a Pro, or stick with
the plastic and gel ones?

Thanks

Bryan

Smudger

Guest
"Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Yet another saddle question I'm afraid. I used to have a Brooks B17 that went on many a long ride
> (most of Europe at one point), however I no longer have it. I have used a few different (Salle,
> WTB etc) Ti saddles and found them to be not to bad, but this has mostly been on MTB's. I'm now
> doing about 40-50 miles a day on my new touriong bike, and find that the saddle supplied is ok,
> but not fantastic (my bum hurts a bit). So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks
> saddles, I've been thinking about getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's
> weight). GB Cycles have got one for £65 (p+p inc) so it doesn't seem that bad a price.
>
> So what do people think of them, are they worth the extra money or should I get a Pro, or stick
> with the plastic and gel ones?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan

I've got a Swift Titanium on my Genesis Day and it is a fantastically comforatable saddle. Highly
recommended. However, if you want an armchair ride, then consider a Brooks Conquest. I've got one on
my hybrid and it really is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. My hybrid has no suspension but
I can ride on really bumpy bridleways with this saddle in complete comfort whilst the rest of the
bike rattles to bits. I bought the Conquest on ebay for £40.

David Pipes

Guest
In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes

>I've got a Swift Titanium on my Genesis Day and it is a fantastically comforatable saddle. Highly
>recommended. However, if you want an armchair ride, then consider a Brooks Conquest. I've got one
>on my hybrid and it really is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. My hybrid has no suspension
>but I can ride on really bumpy bridleways with this saddle in complete comfort whilst the rest of
>the bike rattles to bits. I bought the Conquest on ebay for £40.
Brooks Flyer under my bum on my hybrid. Ridden on it only half a dozen times so far and it seems to
get more comfortable with each rotation of the pedals. Totally amazed 'cos when I bought it, it
felt like I was sitting on a breeze block - of course being 105kg may have something to do with its
rapid break in.
--
DP

Pete Biggs

Guest
Bryan wrote:
> So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles, I've been thinking about
> getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight).

There is a titanium version of the B17. I would have thought that's worth the expense if happy with
the shape. Isn't the Swift narrower?

~PB

Smudger

Guest
> Bryan wrote:
> > So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles, I've been thinking about
> > getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight).
>
> There is a titanium version of the B17. I would have thought that's worth the expense if happy
> with the shape. Isn't the Swift narrower?
>
> ~PB

The Swift is narrower but still wider than most modern "razorblade" saddles. The Swift has a more
modern appearance than the old fashioned looking B17 but is a perfectly usable saddle. A halfway
house may be the Brooks Colt. I don't know if they make this any more but you can find them here and
there on the web.

GearóId Ó Laoi

Guest
Forget about the weight and get a B17. It won't slow you down much.

I've used Colt (2), Conquest (2) and B17 (3) as well as Wright (3).

They're all great.

Trealaw Boy

Guest
I have to agree.

Brooks saddles will be comparatively heavy, but then you get the comfort. The relatively small
increase in weight is offset by the comfort. I've got two conquests which are excellent. They have
the advantage of springs, but the B17 is widely used for touring.

If you insist on a lighter saddle then you need to consider the San Marco Rolls. I have one of these
too, which is very good.

Regards

TB

"Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" wrote:

> Forget about the weight and get a B17. It won't slow you down much.
>
> I've used Colt (2), Conquest (2) and B17 (3) as well as Wright (3).
>
> They're all great.

Pete Biggs

Guest
Trealaw Boy wrote:
> Brooks saddles will be comparatively heavy, but then you get the comfort. The relatively small
> increase in weight is offset by the comfort. I've got two conquests which are excellent. They have
> the advantage of springs, but the B17 is widely used for touring.
>
> If you insist on a lighter saddle then you need to consider the San Marco Rolls. I have one of
> these too, which is very good.

Hello? The B17 Ti is the option for those who like the shape of the B17 but insist on a
lighter saddle.

~PB

Richard Shutt

Guest
How about a B17 Titanium special?

http://www.brookssaddles.com/index.php?type=mens_road

Richard

Bryan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yet another saddle question I'm afraid. I used to have a Brooks B17 that went on many a long ride
> (most of Europe at one point), however I no longer have it. I have used a few different (Salle,
> WTB etc) Ti saddles and found them to be not to bad, but this has mostly been on MTB's. I'm now
> doing about 40-50 miles a day on my new touriong bike, and find that the saddle supplied is ok,
> but not fantastic (my bum hurts a bit). So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks
> saddles, I've been thinking about getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's
> weight). GB Cycles have got one for £65 (p+p inc) so it doesn't seem that bad a price.
>
> So what do people think of them, are they worth the extra money or should I get a Pro, or stick
> with the plastic and gel ones?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan

Status