Saddles (yet again)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan Guest

    Hi all,

    Yet another saddle question I'm afraid. I used to have a Brooks B17 that went on many a long ride
    (most of Europe at one point), however I no longer have it. I have used a few different (Salle, WTB
    etc) Ti saddles and found them to be not to bad, but this has mostly been on MTB's. I'm now doing
    about 40-50 miles a day on my new touriong bike, and find that the saddle supplied is ok, but not
    fantastic (my bum hurts a bit). So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles,
    I've been thinking about getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight). GB Cycles
    have got one for £65 (p+p inc) so it doesn't seem that bad a price.

    So what do people think of them, are they worth the extra money or should I get a Pro, or stick with
    the plastic and gel ones?

    Thanks

    Bryan

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Bryan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Yet another saddle question I'm afraid. I used to have a Brooks B17 that went on many a long ride
    > (most of Europe at one point), however I no longer have it. I have used a few different (Salle,
    > WTB etc) Ti saddles and found them to be not to bad, but this has mostly been on MTB's. I'm now
    > doing about 40-50 miles a day on my new touriong bike, and find that the saddle supplied is ok,
    > but not fantastic (my bum hurts a bit). So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks
    > saddles, I've been thinking about getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's
    > weight). GB Cycles have got one for £65 (p+p inc) so it doesn't seem that bad a price.
    >
    > So what do people think of them, are they worth the extra money or should I get a Pro, or stick
    > with the plastic and gel ones?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bryan

    I've got a Swift Titanium on my Genesis Day and it is a fantastically comforatable saddle. Highly
    recommended. However, if you want an armchair ride, then consider a Brooks Conquest. I've got one on
    my hybrid and it really is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. My hybrid has no suspension but
    I can ride on really bumpy bridleways with this saddle in complete comfort whilst the rest of the
    bike rattles to bits. I bought the Conquest on ebay for £40.

  3. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Smudger <[email protected]> writes

    >I've got a Swift Titanium on my Genesis Day and it is a fantastically comforatable saddle. Highly
    >recommended. However, if you want an armchair ride, then consider a Brooks Conquest. I've got one
    >on my hybrid and it really is the most comfortable seat I've ever had. My hybrid has no suspension
    >but I can ride on really bumpy bridleways with this saddle in complete comfort whilst the rest of
    >the bike rattles to bits. I bought the Conquest on ebay for £40.
    Brooks Flyer under my bum on my hybrid. Ridden on it only half a dozen times so far and it seems to
    get more comfortable with each rotation of the pedals. Totally amazed 'cos when I bought it, it
    felt like I was sitting on a breeze block - of course being 105kg may have something to do with its
    rapid break in.
    --
    DP

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles, I've been thinking about
    > getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight).

    There is a titanium version of the B17. I would have thought that's worth the expense if happy with
    the shape. Isn't the Swift narrower?

    ~PB

  5. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    > Bryan wrote:
    > > So following on from my previous good experience of Brooks saddles, I've been thinking about
    > > getting a Swift (the problem with the B17 really is it's weight).
    >
    > There is a titanium version of the B17. I would have thought that's worth the expense if happy
    > with the shape. Isn't the Swift narrower?
    >
    > ~PB

    The Swift is narrower but still wider than most modern "razorblade" saddles. The Swift has a more
    modern appearance than the old fashioned looking B17 but is a perfectly usable saddle. A halfway
    house may be the Brooks Colt. I don't know if they make this any more but you can find them here and
    there on the web.

  6. Forget about the weight and get a B17. It won't slow you down much.

    I've used Colt (2), Conquest (2) and B17 (3) as well as Wright (3).

    They're all great.

  7. Trealaw Boy

    Trealaw Boy Guest

    I have to agree.

    Brooks saddles will be comparatively heavy, but then you get the comfort. The relatively small
    increase in weight is offset by the comfort. I've got two conquests which are excellent. They have
    the advantage of springs, but the B17 is widely used for touring.

    If you insist on a lighter saddle then you need to consider the San Marco Rolls. I have one of these
    too, which is very good.

    Regards

    TB

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" wrote:

    > Forget about the weight and get a B17. It won't slow you down much.
    >
    > I've used Colt (2), Conquest (2) and B17 (3) as well as Wright (3).
    >
    > They're all great.

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Trealaw Boy wrote:
    > Brooks saddles will be comparatively heavy, but then you get the comfort. The relatively small
    > increase in weight is offset by the comfort. I've got two conquests which are excellent. They have
    > the advantage of springs, but the B17 is widely used for touring.
    >
    > If you insist on a lighter saddle then you need to consider the San Marco Rolls. I have one of
    > these too, which is very good.

    Hello? The B17 Ti is the option for those who like the shape of the B17 but insist on a
    lighter saddle.

    ~PB

  9. How about a B17 Titanium special?

    http://www.brookssaddles.com/index.php?type=mens_road