Safe Bike Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pete

I just bought a lightly used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero that I'm in love with. My bike dealer says no
trunk mounted rack will leave the paint unblemished. I have a friend who has a nice car and swears
by the Saris Bones. Does anyone out there have any experience with Saris racks? I'm also open to
suggestions on other makes/models.

Pete wrote:
>
> I just bought a lightly used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero that I'm in love with. My bike dealer says no
> trunk mounted rack will leave the paint unblemished. I have a friend who has a nice car and swears
> by the Saris Bones. Does anyone out there have any experience with Saris racks? I'm also open to
> suggestions on other makes/models.

Anything that touches the paint will eventually damage it. This is especially true if the car is
dirty before you mount the rack.

If the car is kept very clean and well waxed, paint damage can be minimized.

Trailer hitch or roof racks usually don't touch visible paint, so your car is safer.

Barry

>My
>> bike dealer says no trunk mounted rack will leave the paint unblemished. I
>have
>> a friend who has a nice car and swears by the Saris Bones. Does anyone out there have any
>> experience with Saris racks?

I've ben using the Saris Bones rack for three seasons now (3 bike model) and it works fantastic. BUT
it has marred the finish on my trunk lid. Small scratches appeared after a 600 mile trip with heavy
rains, I had removed the rack and replaced and may have trapped debri in between feet and trunk lid.
I am now careful to clean both prior to installation. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.