Safe route from Chicago to Michigan?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Matt J, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    Hello - I'm considering doing a small tour from a Chicago suburb (northern) to Western Michigan this
    summer. It shouldn't be too hard once we're in Michigan, but does anyone have a suggestion as to how
    to get around Chicago/Gary? Also, are there places to camp around here? I'm sure people have done
    this before. Thanks! Matt

    Tags:

  2. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    I regularly ride the 'Tour-de-Gary' from Chicago to Gary and back.

    Follow the Chicago lakefront path all the way south. Ride on 41 (South Shore Drive) when the path
    ends. Continueon 41 under the Skyway to US12 (Also called Indianapolis Blvd.). Ride 12 all the way
    into Gary. You can probably continue on US 12 to Mich, though I haven't ridden that far.

    Good luck.

    Joel

  3. I assume you've already been North enough times that you've rejected http://www.ssbadger.com/

    --
    *****
    *****The "return to" address embedded in this mail is wrong as an antispam measure. Please address

  4. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    Graham Harrison wrote:
    > I assume you've already been North enough times that you've rejected http://www.ssbadger.com/

    Yeah, I initially wanted to ride all the way there, but my it was pointed out that your suggestoin
    might be prettier and easier anyway - it's looking like we'll do that (though that ferry is
    expensive!) Thanks Matt

  5. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "joel roth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I regularly ride the 'Tour-de-Gary' from Chicago to Gary and back.
    >
    > Follow the Chicago lakefront path all the way south. Ride on 41 (South Shore Drive) when the path
    > ends. Continueon 41 under the Skyway to US12 (Also called Indianapolis Blvd.). Ride 12 all the way
    > into Gary. You can probably continue on US 12 to Mich, though I haven't ridden that far.

    Yes, you can continue on US 12 to New Buffalo; from there, US 12 turns east, but the Red Arrow
    Highway continues straight to St. Joseph. At St. Joseph, one could catch the Blue Star Highway
    (paralleling, and largely west of US
    31) to go up as far as Saugatuck (at least).

    There are some parallel routes possible through Beverly Shores, IN, and along "Lakeshore Drive" in
    Michigan, but that's a lot of typing; the OP can contact me if he really wants details. Even better,
    there are county levels maps of Michigan available from the state, or the Universal Map Co's
    Southwest Michigan map.

    From about Grand Haven on north, there's a route from the League of Michigan bicyclists available
    (you can get maps on their website; I believe it is the shoreline route).

    If the OP can be a little more specific than "western Michigan" I might be able to help a little, as
    I just finished a trip from Kalamazoo to Boyne City and back to Chicago.