Safe Speed 12mph page

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Paul Smith, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.

    He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.

    Unfortunately his reply contained a number of misunderstandings which require clarification. For
    this reason, I've decided not to reproduce his reply in full.

    His email concludes:

    "Anyhow, since I believe that the data you have available do not allow a valid application of my
    "rule of thumb", I would appreciate if you would drop it from your web site."

    However, I believe I do have the data in question. As a gesture of respect I have suspended the page
    pending clarification.
    --
    Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
    cameras cost lives
     
    Tags:


  2. Paul Smith wrote:
    > I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.
    >
    > He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.

    LOL You find pleasure in the strangest places. To me his words look like a euphemism for "pure
    fiction and crap".
    --
    Michael MacClancy
     
  3. Paul "hand signal" [email protected] Smith of Scotland, UK wrote: ( As a gesture of )
    respect ...

    This reminds me that back in the early 1970s the AA, subsequently the automobile addicts' division
    of Centrica plc, tried to persuade road users that a good way of reducing road rage (it wasn't
    called that back then, was it?) was to make apologetic hand signals. It claimed at the time that on
    the Continent (which I am sure they called Europe) there was a widespread practice of apologising
    with a hand gesture involving a flat palm and the three long fingers extended and separated to make
    an "E" for "excuse me" in several Romance languages. I didn't believe it at the time, and reckoned
    it was a ruse to generate correspondence about the likelihood of someone perceiving the wrong number
    of fingers.
     
  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Paul Smith wrote:
    > I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.
    >
    > He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.

    ROFL!

    > Unfortunately his reply contained a number of misunderstandings which require clarification. For
    > this reason, I've decided not to reproduce his reply in full.

    And again, ROFL!

    > As a gesture of respect I have suspended the page pending clarification.

    What I want to know is, do people as stupid as Paul Smith exist in real life, or only on usenet?

    James
     
  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Paul Smith deftly scribbled:

    > I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.
    >
    > He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.
    >
    > Unfortunately his reply contained a number of misunderstandings which require clarification. For
    > this reason, I've decided not to reproduce his reply in full.
    >
    > His email concludes:
    >
    > "Anyhow, since I believe that the data you have available do not allow a valid application of my
    > "rule of thumb", I would appreciate if you would drop it from your web site."
    >
    > However, I believe I do have the data in question. As a gesture of respect I have suspended the
    > page pending clarification.

    It would seem, then, that you have been wrong on this subject. Would it be to unimaginative to
    suggest you're also wrong on other subjects on your website .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0
     
  6. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > What I want to know is, do people as stupid as Paul Smith exist in real life, or only on usenet?

    Probably -- but they are not normally allowed out without a minder and that piece of string through
    their sleeves to stop them losing their gloves.

    T
     
  7. In article <5olt5[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.
    >
    > He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.

    He's an academic, the phrase shouldn't please you---though it pleases me enormously.

    > Unfortunately his reply contained a number of misunderstandings which require clarification. For
    > this reason, I've decided not to reproduce his reply in full.

    Why not, you were all too happy to post your letter to him? Might his misunderstanding reflect our
    supposed misunderstandings, ie that you have severe problems with the maths?

    > His email concludes:
    >
    > "Anyhow, since I believe that the data you have available do not allow a valid application of my
    > "rule of thumb", I would appreciate if you would drop it from your web site."
    >
    > However, I believe I do have the data in question. As a gesture of respect I have suspended the
    > page pending clarification.

    ROTFLMAO.

    Colin
     
  8. Paul Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> "Anyhow, since I believe that the data you have available do not allow a valid application of my
    >> "rule of thumb", I would appreciate if you would drop it from your web site."

    >> However, I believe I do have the data in question. As a gesture of respect I have suspended the
    >> page pending clarification.

    >It would seem, then, that you have been wrong on this subject. Would it be to unimaginative to
    >suggest you're also wrong on other subjects on your website .. ;)

    Yeah yeah. Very funny.
    --
    Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
    cameras cost lives
     
  9. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "Michael MacClancy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul Smith wrote:
    > > I have received an email reply from Jokcsh regarding the 12mph page.
    > >
    > > He described it as "very imaginative and novel" which pleased me.
    >
    > LOL You find pleasure in the strangest places. To me his words look like a euphemism for "pure
    > fiction and crap".

    Perhaps he's been watching "Yes, Minister" - "novel" and "imaginitive" being two of Sir Humphrey's
    worst insults :)
     
  10. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 28-Feb-2003, [email protected] (Guy Chapman) wrote:

    > Perhaps he's been watching "Yes, Minister" - "novel" and "imaginitive" being two of Sir Humphrey's
    > worst insults :)

    I'm sure brave and/or courageous were also used, with good effect. Do either of these apply to our
    friend from the north.

    Cheers,

    Andy
     
  11. Tim Dunne

    Tim Dunne Guest

    "Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Yeah yeah. Very funny.

    If only it were. Personally, I find it worrying.

    Tim
    --
    Sent from Brum, UK... ...scheduled completion Sept 2003 'What's keeping the White House white? Is it
    chalk, is it fog, is it fear?' Steve Skaith, 'America For Beginners' Look, mum, an anorak on a bike!
    Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
     
  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Paul Smith deftly scribbled:

    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>> "Anyhow, since I believe that the data you have available do not allow a valid application of my
    >>> "rule of thumb", I would appreciate if you would drop it from your web site."
    >
    >>> However, I believe I do have the data in question. As a gesture of respect I have suspended the
    >>> page pending clarification.
    >
    >> It would seem, then, that you have been wrong on this subject. Would it be to unimaginative to
    >> suggest you're also wrong on other subjects on your website .. ;)
    >
    > Yeah yeah. Very funny.

    It wasn't actually meant to be funny.

    If you're wrong, and proved to be wrong to the extent that the original 'creator' (for want of a
    better word) of the equation you use asks you to take down any references to it .. then perhaps your
    other equations, calculations, inferences and sheer, plain old guess work may also be wrong too.

    10 out of 10 for having the balls to admit such a fundamental and (apparently) huge mistake, but
    maybe your whole site is flawed just as seriously. The inferences you drew on the 12mph page were
    almost identical to other inferences all over the site .. maybe they're all wrong.

    It's a possibility you need to explore I think .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...