Safespeed spoilsports

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:48:05 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I've spent hours and hours on the same problems. One way to get noise reduction is to run a
>> rolling average, and I've done that for 2,3,4,5 and 10 years. All it appears to do is confirm the
>> exponential decay curves I'm using. I've seen no better long term fits than exponential decay.

>I've done a least squares regression fit on a 10 year rolling average using an exponential trend
>and the data fits well up until the years including 1999 onwards. But we already know that the
>method of data collection changed in 1999, all of the stats produced have a footnote "Data from
>1999 onwards cannot be directly compared to years before 1999".

The change affects annual total billion vehicle km and amounts to only about 0.2%. We can do little
except neglect it. I wonder if they've done it to distract us? Probably not.

>And I don't know how you can possibly point to a particular year when you have a 10 year rolling
>average. But at the very least, if there really was a step change in 1991, I would expect it to be
>obvious in the rolling average by 1986-1996 but it isn't (at least to me).

Ten years is probably wrong. I was much happier with 3 and 5 years.

In such case you have to compare y-5 with y+5.

The good years in the early 90s were due to the recession; reduced annual mileages and probably
reduced "high living".

>Taking the 10 year improvements,

>1960-1970 through to 1976-1986, accident rates fell by about 40% per decade.

>1977-1987 through to 1981-1991 accident rates fell by about 45% per decade although this isn't as
>consistent a reduction, even when averaged over 10 years.

>1982-1992 thought to 1986-1996 accident rates fell by about 50% per decade

Mainly due to the recession 1990 - 1993.

>1987-1997 through to 1989-1999 accident rates fell by about 45% per decade.

Same again.

>Beyond 1999 the method of stats collection changed but the figures are sitting somewhere abound
>35-45% for the two years I have. Yes the decade 1991 to 2001 is the worst in the period I have
>considered but this is only one period, there were worse periods in the 1960-1970 through
>1976-1986.

>Finally, there were four exceptional years in succession, 1991 - 12% fall, 1992 8% fall, 1993, 10%
>fall, 1994 7% fall. These four years occured after the magic 1991 "speedcamera" year. I would
>expect speed cameras to be placed first at the worst accident blackspots and then only later get
>installed at the less "accident prone" sites so although 1991 may only have had a few speed
>cameras, they were probably sited at the places which could give the best improvement. I remember
>the Bham New Road that regularly used to have serious accidents because of cars jumping red lights.
>You could almost overnight see the difference once the traffic light cameras got installed. There
>were a few speed cameras on this road but, in general, if people drove at speeds where they could
>stop for a red light, then then generally wouldn't be exceeding the speed limit much anyway. (I
>rarely drive this road now and am not local so I don't know whether the accident improvements have
>been maintained but I hope so)

Speed cameras were trialed in 1992 and started to be used seriously in 1993.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:07:00 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Finally, there were four exceptional years in succession, 1991 - 12% fall, 1992 8% fall, 1993, 10%
>>fall, 1994 7% fall. These four years occured after the magic 1991 "speedcamera" year.

>So we can conclude that the introduction of cameras brought about a massive improvement in
>road safety?

Nope. They were first trialed in Hammersmith in 1992 and not used more widely until 1993.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:27:58 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I'm sure that decisions and approaches are open to criticism. But I can't find any other
>> conclusions which fit the facts as I understand them.

>> If there's ANY error or ambiguity, I'll be pleased to correct it.

>Well the biggest problem I see is that you need to identify specific changes to the different
>components of your hate list.

>Cameras didn't all pop up over night. Why have you identified 1993 as year zero? How many cameras
>were there then? How have they spread? Is that speed consistent with reduced road safety?

I've tried so hard to get a list of how many cameras have been installed and active for each year,
but no national data is available. I've got some figures, but no overall picture. We do know they
effectively started in 1993. I've got a few spot figures, including 1994 and 2001...

>Similar questions for changes in policing, various road safety campaigns etc.

There's this:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/police.html

>Specifically, since you allocate much of the problem to driver distraction -- what evidence do you
>have of accidents consistent with driver distraction? Have there been significant changes in single
>car accidents near camera sites? etc.

Very hard to get such data, but I wouldn't expect camera sites to be especially affected anyway.

>Why did the government paint the cameras yellow? Did they know something we don't? Has this changed
>the accident figures? (That was a very quick change. If there were significant numbers of accidents
>at camera sites caused by late sighting of the camera and lose of control and rear ending accidents
>as a consequence these should be obvious from the figures.

Political decision. Too much hatred of "sneaky" grey cameras. No road safety investigation.

>Picking a change in trend and just saying that you can't think of anything other than cameras that
>caused it simply is not adequate.

I can only do my best to find the proof or the disproof.

>Paul, you may be onto something. I am fairly convinced that you are not and that you are just a
>loon -- but I concede that it is possible that you have seen something in the figures. If so you
>need solid evidence not vague speculation. And I dismiss almost everything currently in your web
>site at present as either vague speculation or pretty but meaningless pictures.

<shrug>
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:49:29 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I'd welcome alternative views of the data or trends (as it says on the page). My objective in this
>>is to highlight a problem which I'm certain is real and the more evidence and the more rigourous
>>the better.

>You don't need to get rid of the noise. The right trend lines fit well enough. The problem is that
>you have fitted the wrong ones.

Please, sincerely, feel free to do better.

>>>But, I've just discovered http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad/english/englisch.html

>>>Looking at "Road fatalities by traffic participation and age, Germany in 1999/2000 had the same
>>>fatalities as Britain in 1980. So, as a first approximation, it isn't surprising that Germany is
>>>achieving the safety improvements now that we were achieving in 1980. (Germany has done very well
>>>with child (0-14) fatalities and has practically caught up with the UK but the other figures
>>>swamp this)

>>Quite so. But the ~5% pa general trend has been long established, and I can find no reason to
>>doubt that the trend could have continued.

>There is no reason to assume that it could continue. It is a management target and not the result
>of a physical law.

... in a big system fed by (in order of importance):

1) Policy
2) Engineering improvements
2a) vehicles
2b) roads
3) technological change
4) social change

Didn't we go into these yesterday?
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >You are a sample of one. Statistically irrelevant.
>
> Of course I'm not. Emails of support outnumber the other sort by at least 10:1. I get 40 non list
> emails each day. I have police traffic officers, accident investigators, advanced driving
> instructors (lots of those!) and road safety officers who agree and support my campaign, not to
> mention enthusiast...

So why do you dally here? Do you enjoy the ritual abuse?

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:51:26 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Paul Smith
><[email protected]> writes

>>But I can't find any other conclusions which fit the facts as I understand them.

>I can't see any evidence that you've considered any explanations or conclusions other than the ones
>which support your thesis.

I do a lot. I run a campaign, a web site, I mine the figures, I work for a living, I even have a
social life.

I get some help, but basically I'm doing all I can, and presenting info is very time consuming. I've
got loads that's never been presented, and when something shows "no connection" there's little
motivation to present it.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:38:35 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Turning to the second point that I wanted clarified -- how the 3 deaths per day was calculated.

>>It seems clear that this is the difference between your extrapolation from pre 1992 figures to
>>today as compared with the current figures (rounded and approximated).

>That's my conclusion too and neither can I understand why he won't confirm this.

But it's all laid out on the web page... Do you find something unclear?

>As I've tried to demonstrate in my other post his understanding of trend lines is not good and one
>of his lines is just a plain misrepresentation of the data. But what he is consistently saying is,
>"if the trend had continued 3 people fewer would be dying every day". His explanation for the
>failure of the trend to continue is the government's concentration on "speed kills" and cameras.
>Unfortunately for him he has no evidence to support this assertion but this doesn't mean that his
>observation that something appears to have happened (or not!) in the mid-90's that led to a
>decrease in the rate of improvement in the accident rate is wrong.

Hurrah!

>Fundamentally his mistake is that he is using a trend line as a predictor of future performance and
>this is always a questionable practice. Improvements in road safety do not occur in accordance with
>some physical law or other. They are the result of conscious interventions by government, car
>designers and traffic participants. Without these interventions there won't be any improvement. He
>implies that the concentration on speed regulation is the reason for failure to maintain previously
>attained rates of improvement in accident statistics. This is completely unfounded.

It's not unfounded. I can give you cause, effect, results, mechanism and projections. I can show you
at least 4 other countries getting the same effect for the same reason and at least four other
countries not getting the effect where the reason is absent.

And to cap it all these results were IMMEDIATELY OBVIOUS to me and many enthusiasts and instructors
that I knew at the time in the late
1980s.

>To me, it looks as if the authorities have decided to reduce the previous emphasis on road safety,
>resulting in a reduction in the improvement rate. (I hasten to add that I'm not sure that I'm not
>reading too much into the data.) Perhaps they feel they've reached a point where further
>improvement would be too expensive?

AFAIK spending on road safety has increased in real terms, but not by much.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:35:23 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>The good years in the early 90s were due to the recession; reduced annual mileages and probably
>>reduced "high living".

>Mileages were constant, they didn't reduce so that's not an explanation.

But against a background of constant growth. One assumes that individuals' mileages did tend to
reduce, while at the same time more took to the roads. I think that's in the figures somewhere.

>"Probably reduced 'high living'" isn't an adequate reason either. It's a guess.

Not an unreasonable guess I'd say. A lot of road deaths are associated with holidays and pubbing and
clubbing for example.

>Come on, we're trying to help here but you need to acknowledge where your arguments are weak and
>then obtain proper evidence to shore them up.

It's not key to my argument to explain the good years in the early
90s. Helpful, perhaps, but not key.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:35:28 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Turning to the second point that I wanted clarified -- how the 3 deaths per day was calculated.

>> >It seems clear that this is the difference between your extrapolation from pre 1992 figures to
>> >today as compared with the current figures (rounded and approximated).

>> That's my conclusion too and neither can I understand why he won't confirm this.

>He very often makes sideways jumps in arguements or just neglects to answer a point (I queried why
>he thought a lack of cameras in Germany was a reason for their better rates of improvement but got
>no answer).

>But I suspect he thinks believes its all perfectly covered and we all just love to trawl through
>the figures on his web site.

>Maybe he suspects we will try to dissect the exact number -- though if he has something any
>improvement would be welcome and 3 daily phenomenal.

>Everything he has is so diffuse -- he seems unable to focus on real hard data or to thoroughly test
>his assersions.

That's because a) there aren't enough hours in the day and b) Much of the data I'd like to work with
is unavailable.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 15:59:20 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >You are a sample of one. Statistically irrelevant.

>> Of course I'm not. Emails of support outnumber the other sort by at least 10:1. I get 40 non list
>> emails each day. I have police traffic officers, accident investigators, advanced driving
>> instructors (lots of those!) and road safety officers who agree and support my campaign, not to
>> mention enthusiast...

>So why do you dally here? Do you enjoy the ritual abuse?

a) it interests me to consider the opposite point of view
b) because you guys help me to refine out any weakness in my arguments
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:39:53 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>There is no reason to assume that it could continue. It is a management target and not the result
>>>of a physical law.

>>... in a big system fed by (in order of importance):

>>1) Policy
>>2) Engineering improvements
>>2a) vehicles
>>2b) roads
>>3) technological change
>>4) social change

>So, are you saying that the 'big system' is like some continuous motion machine that doesn't need
>motivation to keep it going?

Plenty of things are kept in motion by market forces like motor vehicle safety improvements.

Policy is kept in motion by Governments.

But it's a very big discussion in it's own right.

>In another post today I've wondered whether the authorities might not have decided to
>'de-prioritise' road safety.

I've seen various (non-comprehensive) figures and I'm pretty sure that road safety spending is up in
real terms.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:29:03 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Paul Smith
> <[email protected]> writes

>>>So we can conclude that the introduction of cameras brought about a massive improvement in road
>>>safety?
>>
>>Nope. They were first trialed in Hammersmith in 1992 and not used more widely until 1993.
>
> I was responding to the comment about 1991 being "speedcamera" year. What was its significance?

That was me. I don't remember what year they were first introduced but the DTR report into the first
year of the "Cost Recovery System for Traffic Safety Cameras" starts with "Enforcement cameras were
first introduced into the UK in 1991".

Originbluei who sell a "satellite speed trap warning system to save lives and your licence" also
state: "When Gatso cameras were introduced in the UK in 1991, ..."

The law was changed to allow the use of speed cameras in the "Road Traffic Act 1991". (Section 23 of
that act inserts a new Section 20 into the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988)

But RoSPA does state "The first speed cameras in Great Britain were installed in West London in
1992". It looks like this was fairly rapidly expanded to four London boroughs and included red
light cameras.

It also looks like these first cameras were very successful at reducing accidents. The first scheme
claims 70% reduction in fatals in 3-5 years depending on who you read.

So 1991 was certainly a "speed kills" year even if it wasn't a speed camera year.

Regards,

Tim.

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> b) because you guys help me to refine out any weakness in my arguments

No discernable differences in your argument have been detected since you arrived. I suggest you find
a more effective place to 'refine' your arguments.

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:13:34 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Paul Smith
><[email protected]> writes

>>It's not key to my argument to explain the good years in the early 90s. Helpful, perhaps, but
>>not key.

>Well, it certainly wouldn't be if a contributing factor was the introduction of cameras - allowed
>by the RTA 1991, perhaps the publicity had an effect.

> From the RoSPA site: The first speed cameras in Great Britain were installed in West London in
> 1992. In the first three years of operation at the camera sites they: · Reduced the number of
> people killed by 70% · Reduced the number of people seriously injured by 27% · Reduced the number
> of people slightly injured by 8%. A 1996 study found that speed cameras reduced casualties by
> about 28%.

These studies all rely on the "regression to the mean" error. I've got it documented here:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/gambling.html

They've gone on to arrange to site cameras where ever there have been accidents "in the last three
years". Whether by design or by accident, this is a set up to create a "regression to the men"
benefit illusion.

Lass than 20% of accidents now occur at "black spots" due to road engineering treatment of
black spots.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:32:05 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Paul Smith
><[email protected]> writes
>>But I can't find any other conclusions which fit the facts as I understand them.

>Mobile phones. During this period the use of mobile phones grew rapidly.

>Unfortunately, you need to determine the extent to which mobile phones increased accident rates
>before you can put the blame on speed cameras.

Fatal accidents are well investigated and documented. RoSPA trawled Coroners court reports and
found 19 deaths over 12 years which might be mobile phone related. It's nasty, but nowhere near
nasty enough.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> >You are a sample of one. Statistically irrelevant.
>>
>> Of course I'm not. Emails of support outnumber the other sort by at least 10:1. I get 40 non list
>> emails each day. I have police traffic officers, accident investigators, advanced driving
>> instructors (lots of those!) and road safety officers who agree and support my campaign, not to
>> mention enthusiast...
>
> So why do you dally here? Do you enjoy the ritual abuse?

Not only that, but it's almost certainly untrue, it's always the final resort of the confirmed dope
to claim something along the lines of "I know that everyone here thinks I'm a dope, but millions
don't, because I get lots and lots of emails a day tellimg me how wonderful I am!"

Funny that none of the great majority of PS fans seems to be represented here. I guess we're just a
nest of lefty liberal freedom hating facist peegs, then.

Still, every village needs a village idiot, why should this virtual village be anything different?
Just smile at him and sidle past, eventually he'll go away.

Trev

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 17:25:43 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Nope. They were first trialed in Hammersmith in 1992 and not used more widely until 1993.

>> I was responding to the comment about 1991 being "speedcamera" year. What was its significance?

>That was me. I don't remember what year they were first introduced but the DTR report into the
>first year of the "Cost Recovery System for Traffic Safety Cameras" starts with "Enforcement
>cameras were first introduced into the UK in 1991".

>Originbluei who sell a "satellite speed trap warning system to save lives and your licence" also
>state: "When Gatso cameras were introduced in the UK in 1991, ..."

>The law was changed to allow the use of speed cameras in the "Road Traffic Act 1991". (Section 23
>of that act inserts a new Section 20 into the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988)

>But RoSPA does state "The first speed cameras in Great Britain were installed in West London in
>1992". It looks like this was fairly rapidly expanded to four London boroughs and included red
>light cameras.

>It also looks like these first cameras were very successful at reducing accidents. The first scheme
>claims 70% reduction in fatals in 3-5 years depending on who you read.
>
>So 1991 was certainly a "speed kills" year even if it wasn't a speed camera year.

Here's the entire history of "slow down" campaigns from "Think".

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/slowdown/kys99/history.htm

1991 is indeed the start year, but the adverts were laughed at. It took some years before the
message landed at all.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/prgpubs/fprs20.pdf

Contains the following camera stats:

"Use of cameras: The number of police forces using speed and traffic light cameras has increased
steadily in recent years. In 1994, it was estimated that just over half of all police forces were
using cameras. The number of cameras in use then was still relatively small with just over 30 speed
cameras and 54 traffic light cameras. Data from the current study indicates that by March 1996, in
ten forces alone, there were 102 cameras servicing more than 700 sites (475 speed cameras plus 254
traffic light) - confirming the continued growth in the use of camera technology."

Autocar 21 August 2002 reported 7,684 Uk speed cameras.

And the first trials were in Hammersmith in 1992, whatever else might be reported. I've had long
conversations with the man responsible: Kevin Delaney. He deeply regrets starting it, and now works
for the RAC and can frequently be heard criticising speed cameras.
--

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 16:57:37 +0000, Michael MacClancy <[email protected]> wrote:

>>It's not unfounded. I can give you cause, effect, results, mechanism and projections. I can show
>>you at least 4 other countries getting the same effect for the same reason and at least four other
>>countries not getting the effect where the reason is absent.

>OK, point me to the bits of your website where you demonstrate this. I'll take a look.

Cause: we've discussed.

Effect and mechanism: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/tiger.html

Results and projections: we've discussed, but see also: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/wrong.html

Other countries: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/international2.html Sadly that page needs some updates.
So much to do, so little time.

General and background: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/intro.html
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/background.html
--

Paul Smith wrote:

> It doesn't invalidate it. It was the *entire* purpose of the page.
>
> The average crash energy is tiny compared to the pre-crash energy.

But you don't know the average crash energy. You attempted to calculate it, but used a flawed
method, and thus don't know
it.

Any conclusions you draw are thus invalid.

You still don't get it do you?

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:46:18 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>I can't imaging why you want to concentrate on a small contributor to average crash energy.
>

>>Maybe because the bit that is left is the bit that kills people.
>

> That's not good enough. If driver response on average reduces crash CE by well over 95%, we should
> be looking to improve that, rather than the < 5% contribution from pre-incident CE.

Why do you keep repeating the false assertion that 5% comes from the pre-incident CE (sic).

?

Simon