Safespeed spoilsports

Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> Where did the crash energy go in 1299 cases, when we can assume that in something in the order of
> 70% of them, the vehicle was exceeding the speed limit when the incident started?

Paul, if you are really that unfamiliar with what delta-V means, and the fact that drivers often
brake during an accident, you might want to take down your web pages and see if you can do a GCSE
physics course and have a few basic introductory driving lessons.

On 01 Mar 2003 18:03:31 +0000, Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:

>> Where did the crash energy go in 1299 cases, when we can assume that in something in the order of
>> 70% of them, the vehicle was exceeding the speed limit when the incident started?

>Paul, if you are really that unfamiliar with what delta-V means, and the fact that drivers often
>brake during an accident, you might want to take down your web pages and see if you can do a GCSE
>physics course and have a few basic introductory driving lessons.

You know damn well that the question was rhetorical.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:16:26 +0000, John B <[email protected]> wrote:

>Which cycle race is this then?

Fair enough, John.

The four-wheeled one that's far less intersting than any cycle race.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

James Hodson wrote:

> On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:00:59 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >...but I suppose the GP is in the middle of the night since it takes place in Australia.
>
> The TV prog starts at 01:55 so I'd guess the "race" will begin at either 02:30 or 03:00. Probably
> 03:00 as Aus is 11 hours ahead ... I think.

Which cycle race is this then?

John B

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:16:46 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 15:13:53 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>You certainly can.
>
>>>The release of 70mph's worth of kinetic energy in a crash is almost certain to kill.
>
>>And the release of 12mph's worth is almost certain not to, unless there's a pedestrian on the
>>other end of it.
>
> I thought you had a shred of interest and reasonable helping of decency.
>
> I thought you were interested in illuminating the debate.
>
> I also thought you were interested in the truth.
>
> Are you not just a little concerned and interested that since in the vast majority of cases the
> previous kinetic energy has gone before the smash, that there might be something worth observing,
> discussing and understanding? People are dying out there and 1/2.m.v^2 does not come anywhere
> close to explaining reality.

Paul. 1/2mv^2 is reality. Together with F=d(mv)/dt

But think about it. I know you don't like the studies but IIRC the Austrialian 60kph study found
that in 25% of the crashes they studied the driver didn't brake at all before the crash. Regardless
of what you think about their conclusions and methods I think we can probably all agree that they
probably got this about right.

Now, I would probably be reasonable to assume that this proportion will transfer to other roads in
other countries, maybe not exactly but say something between 10% and 50% of crashes on "fast" roads
the driver(s) don't brake before collision.

So, take the lower limit, 10% of crashes on the motorway occur without braking. Lets assume 10% of
those are 70mph crashes - the rest being people in queues who don't realise that the traffic has
stopped again and have a minor bump. (I suspect both these 10% are on the low side)

So we have 1% of crashes on the motorway occur at 70mph+. If V=dV then we would expect basically all
of these to be fatal. But I think less that 1% of crashes on the motorway are fatal, therefore one
or more of the assumptions must be wrong. I have picked what I think are probably low numbers for
the percentages therefore it must be the V=dV assumption which is wrong.

And this is where you are having problems - if I am driving along the motorway at 69mph and someone
runs into the back of me at 70mph then, provided I don't end up in a spin and hit something else,
expecially something sturdy and stationary like a bridge pillar, I am unlikely to be hurt.

So this part of your mantra is right : "THE SPEED DOESN'T MATTER".

But "THE DELTA V DOES". and as a basic rule of thumb, dV(max) = 2V(max) for two way roads and
dV(max) = V(max) for motorways and dual carriageways

But what you want is:

dV(average) - which if I recall your 12mph page correctly you calculate[1] as 21mph = \alpha
V(ave-accident) where V(ave-accident) bears some resemblence[2] to the speed of the drivers who do
crash on the road in question _before_ you consider how much braking etc they actually do.

Finally, once you have got an average value for \alpha you need to think about where that comes
from. I would be very suspicious of any interpretation that doesn't end up with an expression for
\alpha which isn't at least quadratic in V(accident) (Maybe linear but it is so far away from my
fields of experience that I really don't know how all the various things like driver attention,
braking ability of cars at varying speeds, risks of skidding etc might interact)

This work is EXTREMELY difficult to do, even finding "rules of thumb" from real world crashes is
difficult to do because separating out the random variables from the contributary variables is
tricky and population sample sizes tend to be small compared to the enormous number of degrees of
freedom there are.

There is a short essay by Isaac Asimov (I can't recall the title but I can probably find it for
you if you would be interested) about the "Laws of Nature" and where they come from. To
paraphrase (badly).

I throw a green rock into the air and it falls down again. I repeat it again and again. I make a
discovery "All green rocks when thrown into the air fall down again".

I now try a blue rock, a yellow rock etc. Wow, I can generalize my "Law of green rocks" to a "Law of
rocks" - "All rocks when thrown into the air fall down again"

I now try a tennis ball, a jam jar etc. etc. Yet more generalization - It's looking good here "Law
of Nature" - "Everything that is throw up comes straight back down."

Ah. You say - I've got this budgie. I throw it up into the air, it flies away, it doesn't come
down. I ponder a little - It will come down when it dies. Maybe I have to loosen my law a
little, "Everything that is thrown up comes down again but not necessarily straight away." Not
looking so good now.

Space rockets, space probes etc, Some will never return to Earth.

Oh dear. "Everything that is thrown up comes down again but not necessarily straight away and only
if it is doing less than 7 miles per second when it leaves my hand"

Dust. While it is probable that all dust will return to Earth (and get blown up again etc) it is
theoretically possible that a piece of dust once airbourne will never return to the Earth.

I hope you can see that a simple rule is getting extremely complicated with all the conditions you
need to consider.

F = d(mv)/dt is so remarkable because there really aren't many special cases. And if you do get into
the realm where v->c there is a slightly more complicated equation to do the same job.

And this very simple equation will work regardless of how complicated the crash is. It will even
account for the fuel that is burned between the crash becoming inevitable and the crash happening
if you want.

Joksch (Hope that is right) has come up with the "Everything that is thrown up comes down again but
not necessarily straight away and only if it is doing less than 7 miles per second when it leaves my
hand" sort of rule of thumb. And then you are applying it to a Saturn V rocket on its way to the
moon. It's not that your calculations are wrong: as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with
your maths, it's that they are meaningless. This seems to be the stumbling block you are having.

The same thing occurs with your strange lines and predictions on the accident rate curves. I don't
know how you have got them or why you are so sure they are right. I've played with the figures and I
just don't know how to make any predictions from the data it all seems so random. I'm sure there are
some people who post here who have sufficiently advanced stats knowledge that they know whether any
sort of best fit has any meaning. I suspect that the answer would be that you can't make a fit to
that sort of data and say something changed in 1991 (or whenever) and they could probably back it up
with pages of maths about variances, regressions etc but they don't need to. They can take one look
at the data and say "You can't do that, it won't work." The onus is then on you to prove that the
noise etc isn't sufficient to invalidate your claims, not on them to prove you wrong. Maybe you are
the new Galileo, Copernicus or whoever. Maybe you are going to prove the experts wrong. But Galileo
and Copernicus knew their opponents fields well, and they could point out the problems with their
opponents arguments. Now, maybe a stats professor should take the data, do the umpteen hours work,
and give you the confidence figures for there being a sudden change in accident rate in 1991. But
given that you have given no evidence that you would understand that work, why should they waste
their time?

I'm sorry if this seems a bit blunt. I think you mean well. You have made the effort to improve your
driving and you want the roads to get better and safer. That is a laudible aim. But you are way out
of your depth in the theoretical stuff you are doing and it just looks silly.

In addition, cyclists tend to come from the higher socio-economic groups and be better educated than
the population at large. So you are far more likely to find a lot of people on u.r.c. who are going
to look at your work and say "that can't be right" rather than "I don't like speed cameras and I
don't understand this work so I think it is great because it 'proves' cameras are dangerous".

Regards,

Tim.

[1] I have some concerns with the way you calculated this figure. I think the calculation is more
complex than you have done but that is a gut feeling. I suspect there ought to be integrals in
the calculation somewhere but I'll accept it for the purposes of this posting.

[2] I have no idea what sort of average this needs to be, but whatever average you do use you need
to be able to justify it even if you can't prove it is the right average.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 04:07:11 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>*Everyone looks at the speedo... takes 0.5 seconds.

I timed it today. I look at the speedo about twice per minute or less. I can tell by the change in
engine note and the speed at which I'm passsing the scenery if my speed changes significantly. And
it takes much less than 0.5s to check the speed.

>I'm working on inattention as a background project. There are some revelations to be had.

Starting with the fact that using a phone on the move makes full attention on driving impossible.

Now why do I get the feeling that 100% of your effort will be placed on maximising the theoretical
danger of that 0.5s you assign to looking at the speedo?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 17:54:46 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I then tried to read the clock and look out the window in alternation as many times as possible in
>15 seconds

Invalid. The sweep hand moves more than the speedo needle does; when checking the speedo (and
assuming you are looking directly at it rather than the more normal use of peripheral vision to make
sure it's in roughly the right place) you look at the magic number (which doesn't move) and see
which side the needle is. No firther attention is required provided the answer "close / below" comes
up. This takes very little time.

Of course if you have no idea how fast you are going or what the speed limit is and suddenly see a
Gatso so decide you must brake to below 30mph, there is a chance you will watch only the speedo
while braking. Hopefully this will result in you being rear-ended by the truck behind which is
legally doing 50 (that being the limit) and banned for dangerous driving, because dangerous it
undoubtedly is.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:16:46 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>I thought you had a shred of interest and reasonable helping of decency.

What, you think it unkind kickiong a man while he's down and losing on all fronts? Maybe it is.

>I thought you were interested in illuminating the debate.

That would certainly explain the observed facts: that I've spent more time than I like to recall
pointing out where you are wrong.

>I also thought you were interested in the truth.

Of course. As soon as you come up with some, rather than unfounded assertions which you claim are
true simply because you put them on your website, I'll be very interested.

>Are you not just a little concerned and interested that since in the vast majority of cases the
>previous kinetic energy has gone before the smash, that there might be something worth observing,
>discussing and understanding? People are dying out there and 1/2.m.v^2 does not come anywhere close
>to explaining reality.

Paul, you are an idiot. There is no other possible explanation. You are the only one here who hadn't
worked out that the fact which made your ludicrous 12mph and 30mph asseritons completely invalid,
was that drivers brake.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:39:04 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:

>So this part of your mantra is right : "THE SPEED DOESN'T MATTER".

It does, though - it reduces the time available to assess and react, and increases the danger when
taking evasive action.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

>> Are you not just a little concerned and interested that since in the vast majority of cases the
>> previous kinetic energy has gone before the smash, that there might be something worth observing,
>> discussing and understanding? People are dying out there and 1/2.m.v^2 does not come anywhere
>> close to explaining reality.

>Paul. 1/2mv^2 is reality. Together with F=d(mv)/dt

No. It's physics. On the road it's of great importance once a collision has started, and as far a
crashes are concerned, little interest at other times.

This is a massive problem with a conventional mechanistic approach to road casualties. We look at a
crash and ask: "How could we make that crash different?" We examine a series of coincidences of
chance events and ponder changing some of them. Meanwhile, and if we succeed, there's a risk that
the crash will simply "pop up somewhere else" with a different series of chance events.

I'm trying to take a broader view. Instead of looking at accidents and how they might be reduced, I
want to look at avoidances of accidents and see how they might be improved. There's no KE to worry
about. (yeah yeah brake heat... blah blah).

From the non-accident side there are still plenty of failures to examine, many more failures
actually. But by luck, or something, they don't develop into actual accidents.

>But think about it. I know you don't like the studies but IIRC the Austrialian 60kph study found
>that in 25% of the crashes they studied the driver didn't brake at all before the crash. Regardless
>of what you think about their conclusions and methods I think we can probably all agree that they
>probably got this about right.

I have that study on my HDD somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. It's not under "Australia",
where it should be. ISTR that it studied accident where an ambulance was called, which is a big
filter for big accidents. Non-braking accidents are likely to be bigger accidents (to an enormous
degree actually), so I think the study did a large filtering job.

>Now, I would probably be reasonable to assume that this proportion will transfer to other roads in
>other countries, maybe not exactly but say something between 10% and 50% of crashes on "fast" roads
>the driver(s) don't brake before collision.

At 1 to 5%, I'd have a chance of agreeing.

>So, take the lower limit, 10% of crashes on the motorway occur without braking. Lets assume 10% of
>those are 70mph crashes - the rest being people in queues who don't realise that the traffic has
>stopped again and have a minor bump. (I suspect both these 10% are on the low side)

>So we have 1% of crashes on the motorway occur at 70mph+. If V=dV then we would expect basically
>all of these to be fatal. But I think less that 1% of crashes on the motorway are fatal, therefore
>one or more of the assumptions must be wrong. I have picked what I think are probably low numbers
>for the percentages therefore it must be the V=dV assumption which is wrong.

No way! These motorway crashes have low average impact speeds. I've got some work in preparation
which models the safety system failures and matches the real results. It's essentially very simple.
But it might take a bit of explaining. I'll do a quick sketch here, but if it's insufficient we'll
have to wait until the new SafeSpeed "inattention" page is ready.

*Drivers always try to plan to be able to stop before they crash. They look out for obstructions and
slow when required. Most of the time they have a view of a clear braking space ahead. They are
following the safe speed rule.

*But they are imperfect. Their imperfections have the effect of making them SLOW TO REACT to changes
ahead. This slowness to react can be the result of inattention, poor observation, distraction, bad
planning, hazard perception failures.

*The profile of these failures in drivers is such that failures amounting to larger number of
seconds are very less frequent. Inattention lasting 1 second is extremely common (and manageable)
Inattention lasting 10 seconds is very rare and very dangerous.

*If you create a braking model with inattention and look at impact speeds CONSIDERING at the same
time that before the inattention the driver was able to stop within the distance he could see to be
clear you soon get a profile of crash speeds and fatality risk which matches reality.

End of sketch. The stuff is coming along and I should be able to put it online soonish.

>And this is where you are having problems - if I am driving along the motorway at 69mph and someone
>runs into the back of me at 70mph then, provided I don't end up in a spin and hit something else,
>expecially something sturdy and stationary like a bridge pillar, I am unlikely to be hurt.

Agreed.

>So this part of your mantra is right : "THE SPEED DOESN'T MATTER".

The speed matters a great deal when it is matched to the amount of clear space ahead. The speed on
the tin sign has little to offer, in fact it's a bit of a distraction.

>But "THE DELTA V DOES". and as a basic rule of thumb, dV(max) = 2V(max) for two way roads and
>dV(max) = V(max) for motorways and dual carriageways

But only after the safety system failure.

>But what you want is:

>dV(average) - which if I recall your 12mph page correctly you calculate[1] as 21mph = \alpha
>V(ave-accident) where V(ave-accident) bears some resemblence[2] to the speed of the drivers who do
>crash on the road in question _before_ you consider how much braking etc they actually do.

We're back to the mechanistic approach, and it's hard or impossible to make a match with
non-accident driving.

>Finally, once you have got an average value for \alpha you need to think about where that comes
>from. I would be very suspicious of any interpretation that doesn't end up with an expression for
>\alpha which isn't at least quadratic in V(accident) (Maybe linear but it is so far away from my
>fields of experience that I really don't know how all the various things like driver attention,
>braking ability of cars at varying speeds, risks of skidding etc might interact)

>This work is EXTREMELY difficult to do, even finding "rules of thumb" from real world crashes is
>difficult to do because separating out the random variables from the contributary variables is
>tricky and population sample sizes tend to be small compared to the enormous number of degrees of
>freedom there are.

All true. But what about the driver?

>There is a short essay by Isaac Asimov (I can't recall the title but I can probably find it for
>you if you would be interested) about the "Laws of Nature" and where they come from. To
>paraphrase (badly).

>I throw a green rock into the air...

[snip Azimov]

>I hope you can see that a simple rule is getting extremely complicated with all the conditions you
>need to consider.

Sure.

>F = d(mv)/dt is so remarkable because there really aren't many special cases. And if you do get
>into the realm where v->c there is a slightly more complicated equation to do the same job.

>And this very simple equation will work regardless of how complicated the crash is. It will even
>account for the fuel that is burned between the crash becoming inevitable and the crash happening
>if you want.

>Joksch (Hope that is right) has come up with the "Everything that is thrown up comes down again but
>not necessarily straight away and only if it is doing less than 7 miles per second when it leaves
>my hand" sort of rule of thumb. And then you are applying it to a Saturn V rocket on its way to the
>moon. It's not that your calculations are wrong: as far as I am aware there is nothing wrong with
>your maths, it's that they are meaningless. This seems to be the stumbling block you are having.

I don't agree that they are (were?) meaningless.

>The same thing occurs with your strange lines and predictions on the accident rate curves. I don't
>know how you have got them or why you are so sure they are right. I've played with the figures and
>I just don't know how to make any predictions from the data it all seems so random. I'm sure there
>are some people who post here who have sufficiently advanced stats knowledge that they know whether
>any sort of best fit has any meaning. I suspect that the answer would be that you can't make a fit
>to that sort of data and say something changed in 1991 (or whenever) and they could probably back
>it up with pages of maths about variances, regressions etc but they don't need to. They can take
>one look at the data and say "You can't do that, it won't work." The onus is then on you to prove
>that the noise etc isn't sufficient to invalidate your claims, not on them to prove you wrong.
>Maybe you are the new Galileo, Copernicus or whoever. Maybe you are going to prove the experts
>wrong. But Galileo and Copernicus knew their opponents fields well, and they could point out the
>problems with their opponents arguments. Now, maybe a stats professor should take the data, do the
>umpteen hours work, and give you the confidence figures for there being a sudden change in accident
>rate in 1991. But given that you have given no evidence that you would understand that work, why
>should they waste their time?

I've talked to a LOT of road safety researchers since I started Safe Speed. So far, and completely
without exception, they have known virtually nothing about expert road driving. The degree of
blindness to the road drivers point of view has been absolutely mind boggling.

There's something about driving that makes folk say "I know enough". Drivers do it, and the
researchers do it.

This is why I can illuminate road safety issues and approaches that the researchers have missed.
They universally ignore the specific role that the driver plays in placing his vehicle "at a speed"
and "with respect to hazards".

>I'm sorry if this seems a bit blunt. I think you mean well. You have made the effort to improve
>your driving and you want the roads to get better and safer. That is a laudible aim. But you are
>way out of your depth in the theoretical stuff you are doing and it just looks silly.

This characterisation is false. Not all my hats are a perfect fit, I agree. But I can illuminate and
highlight massively important aspects of the whole debate which are being ignored. I'm not afraid of
pushing back the boundaries, and I'm happy to make mistakes along the way.

>In addition, cyclists tend to come from the higher socio-economic groups and be better educated
>than the population at large. So you are far more likely to find a lot of people on u.r.c. who are
>going to look at your work and say "that can't be right" rather than "I don't like speed cameras
>and I don't understand this work so I think it is great because it 'proves' cameras are dangerous".

Sure. And like I said in another post, at the end of the day it just helps make my case stronger.
--

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:46:16 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 18:39:04 +0000 (UTC), Tim Woodall <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>So this part of your mantra is right : "THE SPEED DOESN'T MATTER".
>
> It does, though - it reduces the time available to assess and react, and increases the danger when
> taking evasive action.

No. delta-V matters. This is why we are hurtling through space at thousands of miles per hour but
not colliding with each other all the time.

But, to all intents and purposes dV(max) = V.

So speed sets an upper bound on dV. And it is dV that limits the time available to react.

But, as my example pointed out, someone doing 70mph running into the back of someone doing 69mph
will only have a delta-V of 1mph but if they then spin into a bridge support the new delta-V
could be 69mph.

Regards,

Tim.

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 19:44:55 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Paul, you are an idiot. There is no other possible explanation. You are the only one here who
>hadn't worked out that the fact which made your ludicrous 12mph and 30mph asseritons completely
>invalid, was that drivers brake.

And you have turned into an obnoxious twerp. Like everything else you've written to me in the last
couple of days your assertion above is diametrically opposed to the truth.

Quoting the conclusion of the page in question:

"Since 12 mph bears no relation to any free travelling speed used on UK roads "something" must
intervene between free travelling and the actual crash. This "something" is of course driver
response. No one wants to crash. Most drivers, most of the time have effective strategies for
avoiding crashes. In practice the failures of these crash avoiding strategies are not normally
massive blunders resulting in impacts at free travelling speeds. Instead they are subtle
misjudgments followed avoiding actions leading to mostly minor crashes."
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>Which is enlightening in that it indicates that you don't understood the mechanics of crashes.
>>>Time to go and read up on the Euro NCAP tests and offset / deformable barriers.
>
>>I almost choked with laughter when I read that bit of Mr Smith's posting.
>
>>Personally I suggest an O Grade book on Newtonian Mechanics. They have been shown over the
>>centuries to be pretty accurate (at low speeds relative to that of light of course).
>
> Some of the people in here can be so very thick sometimes.
>
> The release of 70mph's worth of kinetic energy in a crash is almost certain to kill.
>
> Yet in motorway crashes only 1.4% of those injured die. In terms of accidents to deaths the
> fatalities are around the 0.2% of all accidents.
>
> Now tell me again what's wrong with my statement above.

Because, you stupid prat, noone's suggesting that all the 70mph's worth of kinetic energy is
dissapated by the body of the pedestrian/ driver/cyclist. Most of it's dissapated in deforming the
metalwork of the car, the tree you've still failed to run yourself into, the crash barrier or
whatever. The amount that's actually dissapated into the unfortunate humans is generally only a
small proportion of the total energy, but it doesn't take much of a proportion to kill you. The
actual proportion dissapated into you is a fairly random quantity that's determined by a whole host
of uncaclulable factors, like how the car deforms and stuff like that.

It truly beggars belief that you can even attempt to argue that it's as dangerous to drive at
12mph as it is at 70, even with your garbage about relative speeds. Of course, if you have an
accident at 12mph relative speed, you'll cause the same amount of damage initially. Personally,
though, I'd rather have that crash at an absolute speed of 12mph (with a stationary object)
because at the end of it I have no additional kinetic energy to dissapate, so I'll probably
survive. If I do the same at 70mph, at the end of the initial collision I've still got 58mph of
absolute speed to lose before I come to a halt, Given that my car us unlikely to be under perfect
control and in perfect working order at the end of the initial 12mph impact, that's still a hell
of a lot of kinetic energy to get rid of. Chances are, some of that's going to be dissapated in me
- certainly more than in the 12mph example.

If all the kinetic energy of even a 3mph crash was dissapated in your body you'd look like tomato
sauce. I'd bet that you'd hardly notice if you drove your car at 3mph into a wall, though, because,
luckily for you, the car's bodywork absorbes all the energy. Well, except of course for those of us
who've got their car firmly attached to their ****, of course.

Trev

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote

> The release of 70mph's worth of kinetic energy in a crash is almost certain to kill.

It must depend. It is not possible that most high speed crashes involve a number of smaller impacts?
Braking down to 12mph before the first impact is not a necessity for survival.

NCAP acknowledges that the offset crash is most common. When two vehicles meet like that they will
assuredly spin off each other.

David Roberts

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:53:29 -0000, "DR" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> The release of 70mph's worth of kinetic energy in a crash is almost certain to kill.

>It must depend. It is not possible that most high speed crashes involve a number of smaller
>impacts? Braking down to 12mph before the first impact is not a necessity for survival.

>NCAP acknowledges that the offset crash is most common. When two vehicles meet like that they will
>assuredly spin off each other.

I know it's a generalisation, but it does say "in A crash"... You're supposed to assume that the KE
is dissipated in a single crash. If you glance off or whatever, then not all the KE was dissipated.
--

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:23:47 +0000, Paul Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

>And you have turned into an obnoxious twerp.

Praise indeed.

>Like everything else you've written to me in the last couple of days your assertion above is
>diametrically opposed to the truth.

Unlike SafeSpeed, where truth is measured in terms of belief rather than evidence, obviously.

>"Since 12 mph bears no relation to any free travelling speed used on UK roads "something" must
>intervene between free travelling and the actual crash. This "something" is of course driver
>response. No one wants to crash. Most drivers, most of the time have effective strategies for
>avoiding crashes. In practice the failures of these crash avoiding strategies are not normally
>massive blunders resulting in impacts at free travelling speeds. Instead they are subtle
>misjudgments followed avoiding actions leading to mostly minor crashes."

Since this invalidates the rest of the argument of the 12mph page, only one of the two may
simultaneously be true. Your having argued in favour of the 12mph argument indicates that either you
have failed to appreciate the clear and obvious fact that this paragraph invalidates it entirely, in
which case you are a fool, or that the final prargraph was designed to be ignored.

I rode my bike 80 miles today. The only time I felt remotely threatened was on Nine Mile Ride near
Bracknell, where speeding traffic overtakes too close, and with traffic coming the other way. Speed
is more important to them than safety. It isn't to me. At one point a car overtook a group of three
cyclists moving at reasonable speed, and had to cut in sharply to avoid the two horse-drawn gigs
coming the other way. The horses were well and truly spooked, as were the cyclists. Not one driver
waited behind for a safe space before overtaking. Not one. One of the three of us in that group is a
lorry driver, he spends his entire working life on the roads. His judgement was that this was
absolutely typical - that standards of courtesy and care have declined markedly in the last fifteen
years, with many young drivers never having experienced riding a bike or motorbike, or (obviously)
having driven a goods vehicle - they have no idea how stupid, dangerous and inconvenient their
driving is. Or that they rarely gain more than two or three car lengths doing it. If only they would
slow down, he reckoned, the roads would be a lot safer.

Ridden your bike lately?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Paul Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
> "DR" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> The release of 70mph's worth of kinetic energy in a crash is almost certain to kill.
>
> >It must depend. It is not possible that most high speed crashes involve a number of smaller
> >impacts? Braking down to 12mph before the first
impact
> >is not a necessity for survival.
>
> >NCAP acknowledges that the offset crash is most common. When two vehicles meet like that they
> >will assuredly spin off each other.
>
> I know it's a generalisation, but it does say "in A crash"... You're supposed to assume that the
> KE is dissipated in a single crash.

You can't assume anything in an incident involving crashing vehicles.

> If you glance off or whatever, then not all the KE was dissipated.

Yes, exactly. That is why people survive high speed crashes. They might, but not necessarily, brake
down to a survivable speed and have a single impact. That seems to be the whole basis of one of your
theories. It is surely possible to dissipate all the KE into crash energy, none into the braking
surfaces and survive. Not surely possible but actually possible. It just depends on the type of
collision(s).

David Roberts

Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> I know it's a generalisation, but it does say "in A crash"... You're supposed to assume that the
> KE is dissipated in a single crash. If you glance off or whatever, then not all the KE was
> dissipated.

And glancing accidents do happen. So why on earth should we be supposed to assume they don't, just
because it invalidates whatever point you think you are making?

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 19:38:42 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

[just spotted this...]

>>"Since 12 mph bears no relation to any free travelling speed used on UK roads "something" must
>>intervene between free travelling and the actual crash. This "something" is of course driver
>>response. No one wants to crash. Most drivers, most of the time have effective strategies for
>>avoiding crashes. In practice the failures of these crash avoiding strategies are not normally
>>massive blunders resulting in impacts at free travelling speeds. Instead they are subtle
>>misjudgments followed avoiding actions leading to mostly minor crashes."

>Since this invalidates the rest of the argument of the 12mph page, only one of the two may
>simultaneously be true. Your having argued in favour of the 12mph argument indicates that either
>you have failed to appreciate the clear and obvious fact that this paragraph invalidates it
>entirely, in which case you are a fool, or that the final prargraph was designed to be ignored.

It doesn't invalidate it. It was the *entire* purpose of the page.

The average crash energy is tiny compared to the pre-crash energy.

Therefore making changes to the pre-crash energy won't much affect outcomes.

But making tiny changes to the driver intervention between pre-crash energy and crash energy will
have an big effect on outcomes.
--
Paul Smith Scotland, UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk please remove "XYZ" to reply by email speed
cameras cost lives

Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:
> On 01 Mar 2003 18:03:31 +0000, Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Paul Smith <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >> Where did the crash energy go in 1299 cases, when we can assume that in something in the order
> >> of 70% of them, the vehicle was exceeding the speed limit when the incident started?
>
> >Paul, if you are really that unfamiliar with what delta-V means, and the fact that drivers often
> >brake during an accident, you might want to take down your web pages and see if you can do a GCSE
> >physics course and have a few basic introductory driving lessons.
>
> You know damn well that the question was rhetorical.

That's all right, it was a rhetorical response.