Safety equipment..Knee pads

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by E & V Willson, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. I would appreciate opinions on the value of knee pads. I have had the pleasure of sliding down the
    street once or twice, and my hands were saved by gloves, while my face was saved by helmet/glasses.
    Knees and chin got skinned but not too badly. It seems to me that knee pads would have helped a
    bunch. I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just wondering why they are
    not worn. Thanks, Ernie

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "E & V Willson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I would appreciate opinions on the value of knee pads. I have had the pleasure of sliding down the
    > street once or twice, and my hands were saved by gloves, while my face was saved by
    > helmet/glasses. Knees and chin got skinned but not too badly. It seems to me that knee pads would
    > have helped a bunch. I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just
    > wondering why they are not worn. Thanks, Ernie

    I think it has to do with the irritation/hot-as-hell factor versus the perceived protection value.
    In the last 10 years of riding, my knee has been skinned exactly zero times. Maybe I'm just lucky,
    but for me, the value isn't there.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. E & V Willson <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > I would appreciate opinions on the value of knee pads. I have had the pleasure of sliding down the
    > street once or twice, and my hands were saved by gloves, while my face was saved by
    > helmet/glasses. Knees and chin got skinned but not too badly. It seems to me that knee pads would
    > have helped a bunch. I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just
    > wondering why they are not worn. Thanks, Ernie

    Because most of us don't plan on hitting the pavement. Yes accidents happen, but wearing that kind
    of equipment until they do isn't worth it.

    Just my $0.02.

    - Boyd S.

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    I think it has to do with the irritation/hot-as-hell factor versus the perceived protection value.
    In the last 10 years of riding, my head/hat has been skinned exactly zero times. Maybe I'm just
    lucky, but for me, the value isn't there.

    Hats. Now knee pads. The BMXers wear full body armor. When will it end? When will motorists have to
    wear hats in their steel cocoons?

  5. On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:28:09 -0400, E & V Willson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just wondering why they are not
    > worn. Thanks, Ernie

    I wear pads off-road, but not on. Most roadies don't crash enough to make hot, restrictive, heavy
    padding worthwhile.

    It's not like they're hard to get or anything. Any good LBS has a large selection of pads in the
    BMX section.

    Barry

  6. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > I would appreciate opinions on the value of knee pads. I have had the pleasure of sliding down the
    > street once or twice, and my hands were saved by gloves, while my face was saved by
    > helmet/glasses. Knees and chin got skinned but not too badly. It seems to me that knee pads would
    > have helped a bunch. I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just
    > wondering why they are not worn. Thanks, Ernie

    I don't recall EVER skinning my knee in a bike fall. I can only remember three falls total in my
    life: 1975, 1983 and 2003. In '75 it was on ice, so no skin damage done. '83 tore my jacket, and '03
    gave me a small road rash on my hip.

    it's morning".

  7. Hunrobe

    Hunrobe Guest

    wrote:

    >I don't recall EVER skinning my knee in a bike fall. I can only remember three falls total in my
    >life: 1975, 1983 and 2003. In '75 it was on ice, so no skin damage done. '83 tore my jacket, and
    >'03 gave me a small road rash on my hip.

    I hope you knocked on wood when you wrote that. If not, you are now doomed to take a tumble at speed
    that will leave you just one big road rash. Get out the Neosporin and the Tegaderm now. <g>

    Regards, Bob Hunt

  8. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > >David Kerber [email protected]_ids.net
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I don't recall EVER skinning my knee in a bike fall. I can only remember three falls total in my
    > >life: 1975, 1983 and 2003. In '75 it was on ice, so no skin damage done. '83 tore my jacket, and
    > >'03 gave me a small road rash on my hip.
    >
    > I hope you knocked on wood when you wrote that. If not, you are now doomed to take a tumble at
    > speed that will leave you just one big road rash. Get out the Neosporin and the Tegaderm now. <g>

    LOL! You're probably right!

    it's morning".

  9. E & V Willson wrote:
    > I would appreciate opinions on the value of knee pads. I have had the pleasure of sliding down the
    > street once or twice, and my hands were saved by gloves, while my face was saved by
    > helmet/glasses. Knees and chin got skinned but not too badly. It seems to me that knee pads would
    > have helped a bunch. I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just
    > wondering why they are not worn. Thanks, Ernie

    I've had roadrash twice this year on my knees and it was neither painful nor bothering. The hip and
    butt took a lot harder punishment when contacting asphalt. The second time around I also managed to
    crack my helmet open, but still not very badly bruised on the knees. This is riding on roads with a
    roadbike. Now if you start going downhill........

    --
    Perre

  10. E & V Willson wrote in message <[email protected]>...

    You're in the wrong newsgroup, go to rec.dorks.on.blades and ask some lameO rollerbrader.

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:28:09 -0400, E & V Willson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I have yet to see anyone on a road bike wearing knee pads. I was just wondering why they are not
    > > worn. Thanks, Ernie
    >
    > I wear pads off-road, but not on. Most roadies don't crash enough to make hot, restrictive, heavy
    > padding worthwhile....

    I thought you were supposed to bleed when riding off-road, otherwise you are not trying hard enough.

  12. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    David Kerber wrote:

    > > >David Kerber [email protected]_ids.net
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >I don't recall EVER skinning my knee in a bike fall. I can only remember three falls total in
    > > >my life: 1975, 1983 and 2003. In '75 it was on ice, so no skin damage done. '83 tore my jacket,
    > > >and '03 gave me a small road rash on my hip.
    > >
    > > I hope you knocked on wood when you wrote that. If not, you are now doomed to take a tumble
    > > at speed that will leave you just one big road rash. Get out the Neosporin and the Tegaderm
    > > now. <g>
    >
    > LOL! You're probably right!
    >
    > --
    > David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    > morning".
    >
    > Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

    Well I must confess I made the big dive for home plate about 4 weeks ago. Ripped my knees pretty
    good. The scabbing is nearly 100% over with now and I am working on more mobility. I won't go into
    the details of what the car was doing, but I shoulda known better than to try to manoeuver around
    her like I did - what with the RR tracks and all - Cracked a rib, severely bruised the heels of both
    hands (wear gloves kids!), gloves saved the hands from r/rash. My German friend 'Helmut' saved the
    ear and right side of my face from some heavy pavement grind. I figger I was doing over 30 kph when
    I bit it. My point? Cyclists would prefer to ride in something simple like a speedo or a loincloth
    or something in the summer. Forget all that damn gear! Commuting with kneepads? Fuggeddaboudit.

    Best regards, Bernie

  13. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Fri, 15 Aug 2003 21:08:05 -0700, <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I won't go into the details of what the car was doing, but I shoulda known better than to try to
    >manoeuver around her like I did - what with the RR tracks and all -

    Now you do.

    Damn ribs.

    Heal well.
    --
    zk

  14. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > Well I must confess I made the big dive for home plate about 4 weeks ago. Ripped my knees pretty
    > good. The scabbing is nearly 100% over with now and I am working on more mobility. I won't go into
    > the details of what the car was doing, but I shoulda known better than to try to manoeuver around
    > her like I did - what with the RR tracks and all - Cracked a rib, severely bruised the heels of
    > both hands (wear gloves kids!), gloves saved the hands from r/rash. My German friend 'Helmut'
    > saved the ear and right side of my face from some heavy pavement grind. I figger I was doing over
    > 30 kph when I bit it.

    Glad you're healing ok!

    > My point? Cyclists would prefer to ride in something simple like a speedo or a loincloth or
    > something in the summer.

    I used to do this all the time when I was a kid: Speedo swimsuit and plain leather moccasins.
    Luckily never crashed while wearing that outfit.

  15. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:

    > My point? Cyclists would prefer to ride in something simple
    like a speedo or a> loincloth or something in the summer. Forget all that damn gear! Commuting with
    kneepads? Fuggeddaboudit.

    At long as it complies, at least in spirit, with mom's advice about clean underwear and
    accidents :-0

    Hope ya feel better soon.

    cheers, Tom