Safety Kit for dark rides

Gonzalez wrote:

> My SPDs can.

M323 SPDs (with one side flat)? I do have a pair of those on the hack bike - I might think about
moving them over.

Mark wrote:

>>And as that didn't work, I wouldn't mind _really_ being lit up like a christmas tree. How much
>>power would it take to wrap a 100 christmas-tree lights around my bike frame and light 'em up ?
>

> Depending upon how far you were going, you'd need a correspondingly long electric cable to
> plug in.

Just get one of those Kirk magnesium frames and ensure it's set alight with a blowtorch before you
leave home ;-)

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote

> Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part of
> the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's what
> I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff elsewhere
> on all of my bikes and unicycles.

Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got from
one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 22:50:46 +0100, Geoff Bowles <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't cycle much at night, but I drive a lot, and agree about the effectiveness of reflective
> shoes, ankle bands etc - they stand out very well, and make it obvious that it's a bicycle ahead -
> even when visibility is obscured by headlights coming the other way
>
> On the other hand one of my pet hates is cycles with just a flashing light at the rear. Perhaps
> it's just my eyes, but it's very difficult to judge the distance to a flashing light when there
> are no other clues - especially when you have to pick it out from lots of other red lights in
> traffic. If I only have one light on my bike I make sure it's set to "steady light" and that my
> clothing will stand out - including the reflective bits on my bright yellow cycling shoes. If I'm
> planning to ride at night (as opposed to being caught out by darkness) I also use a flashing
> light, but fitted some way from the steady one to provide following drivers with something to
> judge size and distance

Actually, it is very hard to judge the distance to a single light. The problem with flashing lights
is that people see them about four times further away and it is harder to judge closing speed from
200 yards than from 150 feet.

Tim.

"Geoff Bowles" <[email protected]> wrote

> On the other hand one of my pet hates is cycles with just a flashing light at the rear. Perhaps
> it's just my eyes, but it's very difficult to judge
the
> distance to a flashing light when there are no other clues - especially
when
> you have to pick it out from lots of other red lights in traffic. If I
only
> have one light on my bike I make sure it's set to "steady light" and that
my
> clothing will stand out - including the reflective bits on my bright
yellow
> cycling shoes. If I'm planning to ride at night (as opposed to being
caught
> out by darkness) I also use a flashing light, but fitted some way from the steady one to provide
> following drivers with something to judge size and distance

I don't find any problem seeing flashing lights but I was just wondering how you find the varying
frequency of the flashes. I don't think the ones with a high flash frequency are as visible as ones
with a lower one.

Andy P <[email protected]> said:
> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part of
>> the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's
>> what I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff
>> elsewhere on all of my bikes and unicycles.
>
> Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success.

Scotchlite.

http://cms.3m.com/cms/US/en/2-135/ciikFFL/view.jhtml

Scotchbrite is a range of plastic pan scourers and so forth, though we used it for roughening up a
landrover's paintjob before applying a second coat...

> The yellow plasticcy stuff I got from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well
> due to its stiffness.

I got a loop of Scotchlite-containing fabric from a sewing and handicrafts stall on the market for
adorning rucksacks, gloves and the like. You can stitch it and glue it with evo-stik impact, though
I don't know how well it would attach to smooth metal cranks.

Regards,

-david

"Andy P" <[email protected]>typed

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote

> > Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part
> > of the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's
> > what I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff
> > elsewhere on all of my bikes and unicycles.

> Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got
> from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

I think you mean Scotchlite! Scotchbrite is green abrasive pan scourer...

White 'Summit' reflective tape from Halfords (in the car section, by the go faster stripes) or other
motorists' stores is good & not too costly.

Grey Scotchlite is available from people who advertise in the small ads in the cycling press.

> Caving helmets are thin things, related to climbing/mountaineering hats and probably before that
> construction site hats. Bike helmets are fat expanded polystyrene. Ie no, the clips won't work on
> them, as they're designed to clip onto a thin shell, not one an inch thick.

When I've seen their kit, they had two kinds of clips, ones which were rigid and snapped onto the
helmet brim and others which were curly and were bent through ventilation holes in the helmet shell.
The latter would probably work quite well. I have no idea where to get them from since standard
outdoor shops don't seem to stock such things.

> Could you use some velcro straps to hold it in place via the ventilation holes?

That's another option, but since I use the lamp for other purposes I would like to be able to get
it off quickly, something which clips allow since the band just pulls out but straps, cable ties
etc don't.

*snip*

> (hmm, would I ask a university caving club anything like that? probably not - but then I was in
> one for quite a while...)

*g*

They seemed the most likely people to know about such things and where to get them.

Regards,

-david

Andy P wrote:
> Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got
> from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

The stuff I get from Halfords is a plastic tape, available in red, yellow or white (I think they
might do other colours, but those are the colours I use). It's not too stiff, I've never had any
problem sticking it to curved surfaces.

They also do white reflective stickers that used to be called Moonshine, I think they might be
called something else now. I've got them stuck on the non-braking surfaces of my rims.

I've bought the grey stuff before from John's Bikes in Bath. It comes as an adhesive tape, but
rather than sticking it on bikes I've stuck it on clothes and then sewn round the edges.

It's all good, anyway.

Thomas Paine

"Helen Deborah Vecht" <[email protected]> wrote

> I think you mean Scotchlite! Scotchbrite is green abrasive pan scourer...

Yeh, don't suppose a pan scourer would show up very well in the dark.

> White 'Summit' reflective tape from Halfords (in the car section, by the go faster stripes) or
> other motorists' stores is good & not too costly.

Ta.

"John Hearns" <[email protected]> of Customer of PlusNet wrote:

>On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:31:59 +0100, Zog The Undeniable wrote:
>
>> Rear reflector, reflective Sam Browne belt and reflective leg bands. Legally I should also have
>> pedal reflectors, but the SPDs can't take them - the leg bands are much brighter anyway.
>
>Seems like reflectors for SPDs might be a good idea. Somebody recently told me that reflectors on
>pedals/ankles are quite effective - following driver notices blobls of light bobbing up and down.
>
>Is there any reflective tape which would stick on to SPDs?

Dunno, but a couple of those little reflective dots stuck on the heels of your cycling shoes has the
same effect.

--
Another victim of Modem Addictus Steph Peters delete invalid from
[email protected] Tatting, lace & stitching page

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Apart from helmet, tail-light and front-light, what other safety gear do people use religiously
> when cycling in the dark?

Respro reflective neoprene ankle bands. I was recently pulled over in High Wycombe by the police to
be complimented on how effective they are.

I have also added silver reflective scotchlite tape to the rear seat stays and for that flashing LED
effect I have added RED scotchlite tape to the trailing edges of the cranks. I think the crank
addition is most effective.

Kind regards,

Daren

Remove outer garment before replying

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]>typed

> The stuff I get from Halfords is a plastic tape, available in red, yellow or white (I think they
> might do other colours, but those are the colours I use). It's not too stiff, I've never had any
> problem sticking it to curved surfaces.

That's the tape I meant also. It sticks fine on curved surfaces (but can chip/tear after a while).
Manufacturers recommend application above 10°C IIRC, and it seems easier if it's not too cold.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part of
> the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's what
> I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff elsewhere
> on all of my bikes and unicycles.

We sell self adhesive reflective pieces ( 75mm x 55mm) in various colours( Green
,Cerise,Yellow,Orange,Blue, White) 6 pieces to a bag, either mixed or one colour, for £4 a bag
inc postage.

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines

"Andy P" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part
> > of the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's
> > what I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff
> > elsewhere on all of my bikes and unicycles.
>
> Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got
> from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

Scotchbrite is that tangled green aramid mat you use for washing up - or for scrubbing the epoxy
bloom off new carbon fibre mouldings prior to bonding them. I know Minnesota Minerals and Mining
also make retro-reflective sticky tape, but I don't know what the trade name for that is.

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

In news:[email protected], Andy P <[email protected]> typed:
> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote
>
>> Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part of
>> the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle. That's
>> what I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the stuff
>> elsewhere on all of my bikes and unicycles.
>
> Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got
> from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

Fear not with all the replies correcting you. I've made the same mistake before (see
http://tinyurl.com/qfkp), with arrogance.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]>typed

> In news:[email protected], Andy P <[email protected]> typed:
> > "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >> Halfords sell rolls of reflective tape (they'll be in the motoring section, i.e. the main part
> >> of the shop), which you can stick to exposed bits of pedal or wrap around the pedal axle.
> >> That's what I've got on the pedals of my seldom used upright bike. I've also got loads of the
> >> stuff elsewhere on all of my bikes and unicycles.
> >
> > Is that the grey Scotchbrite (is that what it's called?) stuff or the yellow plasticcy stuff? I
> > tried to find some Scotchbrite tape last year with no success. The yellow plasticcy stuff I got
> > from one bike shop didn't stick on curved surfaces all that well due to its stiffness.

> Fear not with all the replies correcting you. I've made the same mistake before (see
> http://tinyurl.com/qfkp), with arrogance.

Beware the plasticky stuff can lose its relective properties after a while as the internal prisms
lose their edges. This is a greater problem in plastic items, like a Sam Browne belt that are
subject to much flexion.

> to bonding them. I know Minnesota Minerals and Mining also make

Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing afaik. Disappointingly I think they've formally dropped the
long name.

cheers, clive

news:[email protected]...

> Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing afaik. Disappointingly I think they've formally dropped the
> long name.

Hey -- wot and opportunity. Let's offer them a rebrand. To you $15M say. We could call them -- let's
think about this -- 3M

:~)