SAG Support

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by George Maxwell, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What exactly does SAG mean?

    George

    --

    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
     
    Tags:


  2. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:09:59 GMT, <[email protected]>, "George Maxwell"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What exactly does SAG mean?
    >
    >George

    According to Sheldon Brown's Glossary:
    -----------
    Sag Wagon

    A car or truck that picks up or otherwise assists riders who have had to stop riding, either due to
    fatigue, injury, or mechanical failure. This is primarily a touring term, racers call the
    corresponding vehicle the "broom wagon."

    Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an acronym
    for "Support And Gear."
    --
    zk
     
  3. Thanks

    George

    "Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:09:59 GMT, <[email protected]>, "George Maxwell"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What exactly does SAG mean?
    > >
    > >George
    >
    > According to Sheldon Brown's Glossary:
    > -----------
    > Sag Wagon
    >
    > A car or truck that picks up or otherwise assists riders who have had to stop riding, either due
    > to fatigue, injury, or mechanical failure. This is primarily a touring term, racers call the
    > corresponding vehicle the "broom wagon."
    >
    > Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an
    > acronym for "Support And Gear."
    > --
    > zk
     
  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:37:13 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an
    >acronym for "Support And Gear."

    And since it was in common use uncapitalised[1] long before I ever heard it used as an acronym, I'm
    one of the former :)

    [1] So long ago in fact that such runs were referred to as "oil assisted" in the runs list. Honest.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  5. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote re:SAG :

    >>Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an
    >>acronym for "Support And Gear."
    >
    >
    > And since it was in common use uncapitalised[1] long before I ever heard it used as an acronym,
    > I'm one of the former :)

    Maybe the Screen Actor's Guild threatened a lawsuit?

    In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.

    Scott :)
     
  6. Rmg

    Rmg Guest

    "George Maxwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What exactly does SAG mean?
    >
    > George
    >
    > --
    >
    >
    > -----------------------------------------------------------------
    > "It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
    >
    >

    from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html

    Sag Wagon A car or truck that picks up or otherwise assists riders who have had to stop riding,
    either due to fatigue, injury, or mechanical failure. This is primarily a touring term, racers call
    the corresponding vehicle the "broom wagon." Some people believe that the term derives from the verb
    "sag", others maintain that it is an acronym for "Support And Gear."
     
  7. Todd Kuzma

    Todd Kuzma Guest

    Scott Lindstrom wrote:

    > In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.

    You mean they aren't on their RAdio Detection And Ranging?

    Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
    http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com
     
  8. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:04:02 -0600, <[email protected]>, Todd Kuzma
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Scott Lindstrom wrote:
    >
    >
    >> In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.
    >
    >
    >You mean they aren't on their RAdio Detection And Ranging?
    >
    Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
    --
    zk
     
  9. Pbwalther

    Pbwalther Guest

    >What exactly does SAG mean?
    >>

    Well the Sheldon Brown definition is a good functional one. I have heard that it comes from Support
    a Group or less seriously Snacks and Goodies. I have even heard someone claim it has a french
    derivation.
     
  10. [email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >What exactly does SAG mean?
    > >>
    >
    > Well the Sheldon Brown definition is a good functional one. I have heard that it comes from
    > Support a Group or less seriously Snacks and Goodies. I have even heard someone claim it has a
    > french derivation.

    i always thought it came from the English verb 'to sag,' as in what a bag does when it's too full.

    In older (70's-80's) cycling books/guides I've gotten my hands on, 'sag' is just
    that--uncapitalized. a normal verb--'sag wagon' becomes jargon because of the pleasing
    internal rhyme.

    When did it become an acronym?
     
  11. Harley

    Harley Guest

    SAG- (1)to sink down from weight or pressure. (2)to hang unevenly (3)to lose
    determination, firmness.

    Thus; needing a ride in the "SAG" wagon.
     
  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 14 Feb 2003 20:59:27 -0800, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

    >i always thought it came from the English verb 'to sag,' as in what a bag does when it's too full.

    Yes - it is a Britsh equivalent to "bonk" - bonk having quite a different meaning in Britain :-/

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  13. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning

    I'm sorry, but that smells an awful lot like a backronym
     
  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:26:42 GMT, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
    >I'm sorry, but that smells an awful lot like a backronym

    Bodged Abbreviation Created Knowingly Representing Old Names You've Mangled?

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...