SAG Support

George Maxwell

Guest
What exactly does SAG mean?

George

"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond

Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:09:59 GMT, <[email protected]>, "George Maxwell"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What exactly does SAG mean?
>
>George

According to Sheldon Brown's Glossary:
-----------
Sag Wagon

A car or truck that picks up or otherwise assists riders who have had to stop riding, either due to
fatigue, injury, or mechanical failure. This is primarily a touring term, racers call the
corresponding vehicle the "broom wagon."

Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an acronym
for "Support And Gear."
--
zk

Thanks

George

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:37:13 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

>Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an
>acronym for "Support And Gear."

And since it was in common use uncapitalised[1] long before I ever heard it used as an acronym, I'm
one of the former :)

[1] So long ago in fact that such runs were referred to as "oil assisted" in the runs list. Honest.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote re:SAG :

>>Some people believe that the term derives from the verb "sag", others maintain that it is an
>>acronym for "Support And Gear."
>

> And since it was in common use uncapitalised[1] long before I ever heard it used as an acronym,
> I'm one of the former :)

Maybe the Screen Actor's Guild threatened a lawsuit?

In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.

Scott :)

news:[email protected]...

from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_sa-o.html

Scott Lindstrom wrote:

> In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.

You mean they aren't on their RAdio Detection And Ranging?

Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, IL 815-223-1776
http://www.heronbicycles.com http://www.tullios.com

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:04:02 -0600, <[email protected]>, Todd Kuzma
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Scott Lindstrom wrote:
>

>> In any event, there are uncapitalized acronyms, although they aren't on a lot of people's radar.
>

>You mean they aren't on their RAdio Detection And Ranging?

Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
--
zk

>What exactly does SAG mean?

Well the Sheldon Brown definition is a good functional one. I have heard that it comes from Support
a Group or less seriously Snacks and Goodies. I have even heard someone claim it has a french
derivation.

[email protected] (Pbwalther) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >What exactly does SAG mean?
> >>

> Well the Sheldon Brown definition is a good functional one. I have heard that it comes from
> Support a Group or less seriously Snacks and Goodies. I have even heard someone claim it has a
> french derivation.

i always thought it came from the English verb 'to sag,' as in what a bag does when it's too full.

In older (70's-80's) cycling books/guides I've gotten my hands on, 'sag' is just
that--uncapitalized. a normal verb--'sag wagon' becomes jargon because of the pleasing
internal rhyme.

When did it become an acronym?

SAG- (1)to sink down from weight or pressure. (2)to hang unevenly (3)to lose
determination, firmness.

Thus; needing a ride in the "SAG" wagon.

On 14 Feb 2003 20:59:27 -0800, [email protected] (Luigi de Guzman) wrote:

>i always thought it came from the English verb 'to sag,' as in what a bag does when it's too full.

Yes - it is a Britsh equivalent to "bonk" - bonk having quite a different meaning in Britain :-/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning

I'm sorry, but that smells an awful lot like a backronym

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:26:42 GMT, Mike <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Abbreviated Coded Rendition Of Name Yielding Meaning
>I'm sorry, but that smells an awful lot like a backronym

Bodged Abbreviation Created Knowingly Representing Old Names You've Mangled?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.