Salanson dead

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Alexander Lackn, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Tispectrum

    Tispectrum Guest

    French rider Fabrice Salanson dies

    (adds quotes from team manager, details)

    DRESDEN, Germany, June 3 (Reuters) - French cyclist Fabrice Salanson died in his sleep
    on the eve of the Tour of Germany in Dresden, race officials said on Tuesday.

    Race director Roland Hofer told a news conference that the 23-year-old Brioches La
    Boulangere rider was found in his hotel room and had died between 0230-0400 local time
    (0030-0200 GMT).

    It was not known what caused his death, Hofer said, and a post mortem would be carried
    out at the local hospital. Police were investigating.

    Team manager Jean-Rene Bernadeau said that Salanson's room mate Sylvain Chavanel had
    found him lying at the foot of his bed when he went to wake him in the morning.

    "Chavanel told me that they (the riders) had a quiet evening on Monday. He (Chavanel)
    only realised Fabrice was dead when he went to wake him up," said Bernadeau.

    "We can't make any comments about the cause of the death as Fabrice was in great
    physical shape. We have to wait for the post-mortem.

    "This is the kind of things which can sometimes happen but it's a terrible tragedy."

    The team decided to withdraw from the Tour, said Bernadeau and were returning to France.

    German rider Udo Bolts told Reuters in Dresden: "I was in the same hotel and the other
    riders were in a state of complete shock. They don't know what to say."

    Salanson joined the Brioches team this year after riding with Bonjour from 2000-2002.

    He won two professional events, with his most important victory on the second stage of
    the Midi Libre in May 2002.

    Salanson also had a stage win in the Tour de l'Avenir in 2000, his first year of
    professional cycling.

    Brioches were one of six French teams named last month to ride in this year's
    Tour de France

    "Alexander Lackner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > just read it on http://www.radsport-news.com/news/salanson2003t.shtml Fabrice Salanson (Brioches
    > Boulangère) found dead in his hotel room by team-and roommate Chavanel, just before the start of
    > the Tour of Germany
    >
    > no details yet
    >
    > Alexander

  3. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    the inside scoop is tooooooooooo much EPO......speculative of course..............

  4. E P O

    They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    > E P O
    >
    > They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.

    Now if you only knew what you were talking about.

    PS EPO causes heart failure from overload when the blood count gets up above 60. Since they have
    been testing blood counts athletes have been forced to keep it below 50 even if they were
    taking EPO.

    Let's wait for the autopsy. Lots of people have hidden physical abnormalities that don't seem to be
    a problem while they are young but are fatal in the early 20's for athletes.

  6. "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in news:bbj0un$p8e$1 @slb9.atl.mindspring.net:

    > E P O
    >

    > They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.

    Of course... its all sooo clear now. Otherwise, how could they all be professional, and you not be
    professional? Obviously, since you are the cyclist with superior talent, desire, and training, they
    must be cheating somehow.... EPO. I'm kicking myself for not realizing sooner.

    - Boyd S.

  7. Khoomei

    Khoomei Guest

    Pantani is only 33, but he looks about twice his age. Whatever he's taken in the past must have
    taken its toll on him.

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 23:58:00 GMT, "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> E P O
    >>
    >> They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.
    >
    >Now if you only knew what you were talking about.
    >
    >PS EPO causes heart failure from overload when the blood count gets up above 60. Since they have
    > been testing blood counts athletes have been forced to keep it below 50 even if they were
    > taking EPO.
    >
    >Let's wait for the autopsy. Lots of people have hidden physical abnormalities that don't seem to be
    >a problem while they are young but are fatal in the early 20's for athletes.

  8. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    > E P O
    >

    > They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.

    Are you sure that's the reason for his death? As long as you're speculating with no information, I'm
    surprised you didn't blame it on his not wearing a helmet.

  9. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

  10. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Alexander Lackner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >just read it on http://www.radsport-news.com/news/salanson2003t.shtml Fabrice Salanson (Brioches
    >Boulangère) found dead in his hotel room by team-and roommate Chavanel, just before the start of
    >the Tour of Germany

    Riders should be obliged to sleep with the helmet on.

    Now, if LeBlank was consistent, he would kick Let them Eat Brioches out of the TdF and call Domina
    Vacanze instead.

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    With an enlarged heart, they die in action not in their sleep.

    And then there's sleeping pills...

    Alexander Lackner wrote:

    > just read it on http://www.radsport-news.com/news/salanson2003t.shtml Fabrice Salanson (Brioches
    > Boulangère) found dead in his hotel room by team-and roommate Chavanel, just before the start of
    > the Tour of Germany
    >
    > no details yet
    >
    > Alexander

  12. Dan

    Dan Guest

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I don't get how they can say he died in his sleep while they found him (partly) next to his bed.

    I figure a hear attack could be pretty painful. Painful enough to wake you up and make you thrash
    around in bed?

    If you want to get technical, let's say he didn't "die in his sleep".

  13. > Of course... its all sooo clear now. Otherwise, how could they all be professional, and you not be
    professional?
    > Obviously, since you are the cyclist with superior talent, desire, and training, they must be
    > cheating somehow.... EPO. I'm kicking myself for not realizing sooner.

    Boyd, did you see today that when Sammy Sosa's bat broke, it had a cork core in it? You didn't
    think it was talent that was knocking out those home runs did you?

  14. According to http://www.msnbc.com/news/750150.asp, corked bats don't help home run hitters.

    Scott-

  15. Callistus Valerius wrote:

    > Boyd, did you see today that when Sammy Sosa's bat broke, it had a cork core in it? You didn't
    > think it was talent that was knocking out those home runs did you?

    Does a corked bat _definitely_ give an advantage in hitting _home runs_ in baseball? I think the
    equivalent in cycling is when the rider asks the doc for "Doping Product X" and the doc injects
    glucose solution and _calls_ it "Product X"...

  16. "news.sf.sbcglobal.net" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > According to http://www.msnbc.com/news/750150.asp, corked bats don't help home run hitters.

    NASA scientists thought the foam which sheared off the fuel tank had no chance of damaging the wing.

    So they let the mission go on without doing any safety checks.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/30/national/30SHUT.html?ex=1054872000&en=c1bc
    5466ed4bb224&ei=5062&partner=GOOGLE

    Mockup Wing Is Torn by Foam in Shuttle Test By JOHN SCHWARTZ with MATTHEW L. WALD

    OUSTON, May 29 - A piece of insulating foam shot at a mocked-up shuttle wing opened a long slit in
    its leading edge, which may help to explain what caused the loss of the space shuttle Columbia,
    investigators said today. In the experiment, which was conducted for the independent board
    investigating the shuttle disaster, researchers shot a 1.67-pound chunk of foam from a gas cannon at
    a full-size model of the wing's leading edge at about 530 miles per hour. They were trying to
    recreate the circumstances at the Columbia's launching, when a piece of insulating foam from the
    external tank slammed into the shuttle wing at similar speed.

    <snip><end>

    Moral of the story: scientists' theories don't always correctly answer real world problems.

  17. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Another rare moment when Tom nails it. EPO is harmless at levels that allow passing the
    "health" tests.

    > "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > E P O
    > >
    > > They're all on it, don't kid yourself otherwise.
    >
    > Now if you only knew what you were talking about.
    >
    > PS EPO causes heart failure from overload when the blood count gets up above 60. Since they have
    > been testing blood counts athletes have been forced to keep it below 50 even if they were
    > taking EPO.
    >
    > Let's wait for the autopsy. Lots of people have hidden physical abnormalities that don't seem to
    > be a problem while they are young but are fatal in the early 20's for athletes.

  18. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Another rare moment when Tom nails it. EPO is harmless at levels that allow passing the
    > "health" tests.

    And you know this how?

    -WG