Salivary gland tumor

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Prabhu Ram Pras, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
    medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.

    My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
    various treatment available for the tumor.

    Thank you.

    Prabhu Ram Prasath

    Tags:

  2. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    Pleomorphic adenomas are normally benign mixed cell tumors, although there have been reported
    malignancies. You did not say if your Mom's was benign or malignant, but here is a number of
    articles that mention both: http://www.emedicine.com/cgi-
    bin/foxweb.exe/[email protected]/em/searchengine?bo
    olean=and&book=all&maxhits=100&HiddenURL=&query=pleomorphic%20adenoma

    You may need to cut and paste that entire URL into your browser if you can not click on it to arrive
    to the page.
    --
    Take Care, Sharon Lane
    http://www.rare-cancer.org

  3. J

    J Guest

    Prabhu Ram Prasath wrote:

    > I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
    > medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
    >
    > My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
    > various treatment available for the tumor.

    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=156027 The treatment of pleomorphic
    adenoma is essentially surgical. Though these benign tumours are apparently well encapsulated,
    resection of the tumour with an adequate margin of grossly normal surrounding tissue is necessary to
    prevent local recurrence as these tumours are known to have microscopic pseudopod like extension
    into the surrounding tissue due to "dehiscences" in the false capsule [9]. Spiro reported a
    recurrence in 7% of 1342 patients with benign parotid neoplasms and 6% of patients with benign minor
    salivary gland tumours [1]. It is logical to infer that the recurrence rate would be higher after
    surgery for parapharyngeal tumour of similar histology, as a wide resection may not be possible at
    the site due to proximity of vital structures. Postoperative radiotherapy to the parapharyngeal
    space could possibly reduce the recurrence rate in such tumours [10].

    Pleomorphic adenoma arising de novo in the parapharyngeal space is of rare occurrence. High index of
    suspicion and an adequate clearance of the tumour with a cuff of surrounding dispensable normal
    tissues is the key to successful treatment of such tumours[]

    http://icarus.med.utoronto.ca/carr/manual/salgland.html What is it? Pleomorphic adenoma is the most
    common salivary tumour, and is most common in the parotid gland. They are slow growing and well
    demarcated tumours which contain mucoid, chondroid, osseous, and myxoid elements.

    Signs & Symptoms Patients typically have a firm mass anterior to the ear. It is non-tender and does
    not fluctuate in size. Overlying skin is normal.

    Investigations Physical exam including:

    Palpate the glands (rounded mass palpable) Use bimanual palpation in the floor of the mouth

    Imaging CT scan or MRI Fine needle aspiration biopsy

    Treatment Superficial parotidectomy for parotid pleomorphic adenomas Excise whole submandibular
    gland if tumour located there

    I'm not a doctor, I just find the best web sites (I can find) for various views.

    Maybe you should go with her and talk with the surgeon about how involved it is, whether there's
    symptoms, what the risks are etc.., then ask about radiation therapy? J - not a doctor

  4. Tom Mastin

    Tom Mastin Guest

    J's answer is right on the button. I had an enlarged parotid gland, it was
    surgically
    removed. This was in 1990. After the surgery and before closing the surgeons
    stimulated the
    facial nerve that is surrounded by the parotid gland, the setting was on the
    probe was too
    high. The nerve had not been damaged by the operation, but for about 3
    months I had
    what appeared to be Bell's palsy. It went away but I still have a numbness
    on that side
    of my face which has gradually gotten less over the years. The surgeons
    apologized
    profusely, they were the chief and chief resident of the Head an Neck Clinic
    in the hospital.
    Since it was the parotid taken out I have a little bit dry mouth and an
    unusual sweating that
    occurs sometimes just in front of the ear. This happens even in cold
    weather. I was 66 at the time
    and was in the hospital 2 days if I remember correctly. Actually one of the
    easiest surgeries I've had.
    Tom
    "J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Prabhu Ram Prasath wrote:
    >
    > > I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
    > > medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
    > >
    > > My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
    > > various treatment available for the tumor.
    >
    > http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=156027 The treatment of pleomorphic
    > adenoma is essentially surgical. Though these benign tumours are apparently well encapsulated,
    > resection of the tumour <snip> > Palpate the glands (rounded mass palpable) Use bimanual palpation
    > in the floor of the mouth
    >
    > Imaging CT scan or MRI Fine needle aspiration biopsy
    >
    > Treatment Superficial parotidectomy for parotid pleomorphic adenomas Excise whole submandibular
    > gland if tumour located there
    >
    > I'm not a doctor, I just find the best web sites (I can find) for various views.
    >
    > Maybe you should go with her and talk with the surgeon about how involved it is, whether there's
    > symptoms, what the risks are etc.., then ask about radiation therapy? J - not a doctor

  5. Steph

    Steph Guest

    "Prabhu Ram Prasath" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
    > medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
    >
    > My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
    > various treatment available for the tumor.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > Prabhu Ram Prasath

    Surgery is the only good treatment if it is growing. If it's small and growing slowly, and she is
    old, it could be watched. Radiotherapy is sometimes given post op