Salivary gland tumor

• Thread starter Prabhu Ram Pras
  • Start date

P

Prabhu Ram Pras

Hello,

I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.

My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
various treatment available for the tumor.

Thank you.

Prabhu Ram Prasath

Pleomorphic adenomas are normally benign mixed cell tumors, although there have been reported
malignancies. You did not say if your Mom's was benign or malignant, but here is a number of
articles that mention both: http://www.emedicine.com/cgi-
bin/foxweb.exe/searchengine@/em/searchengine?bo
olean=and&book=all&maxhits=100&HiddenURL=&query=pleomorphic%20adenoma

You may need to cut and paste that entire URL into your browser if you can not click on it to arrive
to the page.
--
Take Care, Sharon Lane
http://www.rare-cancer.org

Prabhu Ram Prasath wrote:

> I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
> medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
>
> My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
> various treatment available for the tumor.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=156027 The treatment of pleomorphic
adenoma is essentially surgical. Though these benign tumours are apparently well encapsulated,
resection of the tumour with an adequate margin of grossly normal surrounding tissue is necessary to
prevent local recurrence as these tumours are known to have microscopic pseudopod like extension
into the surrounding tissue due to "dehiscences" in the false capsule [9]. Spiro reported a
recurrence in 7% of 1342 patients with benign parotid neoplasms and 6% of patients with benign minor
salivary gland tumours [1]. It is logical to infer that the recurrence rate would be higher after
surgery for parapharyngeal tumour of similar histology, as a wide resection may not be possible at
the site due to proximity of vital structures. Postoperative radiotherapy to the parapharyngeal
space could possibly reduce the recurrence rate in such tumours [10].

Pleomorphic adenoma arising de novo in the parapharyngeal space is of rare occurrence. High index of
suspicion and an adequate clearance of the tumour with a cuff of surrounding dispensable normal
tissues is the key to successful treatment of such tumours[]

http://icarus.med.utoronto.ca/carr/manual/salgland.html What is it? Pleomorphic adenoma is the most
common salivary tumour, and is most common in the parotid gland. They are slow growing and well
demarcated tumours which contain mucoid, chondroid, osseous, and myxoid elements.

Signs & Symptoms Patients typically have a firm mass anterior to the ear. It is non-tender and does
not fluctuate in size. Overlying skin is normal.

Investigations Physical exam including:

Palpate the glands (rounded mass palpable) Use bimanual palpation in the floor of the mouth

Imaging CT scan or MRI Fine needle aspiration biopsy

Treatment Superficial parotidectomy for parotid pleomorphic adenomas Excise whole submandibular
gland if tumour located there

I'm not a doctor, I just find the best web sites (I can find) for various views.

Maybe you should go with her and talk with the surgeon about how involved it is, whether there's
symptoms, what the risks are etc.., then ask about radiation therapy? J - not a doctor

J's answer is right on the button. I had an enlarged parotid gland, it was
surgically
removed. This was in 1990. After the surgery and before closing the surgeons
stimulated the
facial nerve that is surrounded by the parotid gland, the setting was on the
probe was too
high. The nerve had not been damaged by the operation, but for about 3
months I had
what appeared to be Bell's palsy. It went away but I still have a numbness
on that side
of my face which has gradually gotten less over the years. The surgeons
apologized
profusely, they were the chief and chief resident of the Head an Neck Clinic
in the hospital.
Since it was the parotid taken out I have a little bit dry mouth and an
unusual sweating that
occurs sometimes just in front of the ear. This happens even in cold
weather. I was 66 at the time
and was in the hospital 2 days if I remember correctly. Actually one of the
easiest surgeries I've had.
Tom
"J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Prabhu Ram Prasath wrote:
>
> > I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
> > medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
> >
> > My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
> > various treatment available for the tumor.
>
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=156027 The treatment of pleomorphic
> adenoma is essentially surgical. Though these benign tumours are apparently well encapsulated,
> resection of the tumour <snip> > Palpate the glands (rounded mass palpable) Use bimanual palpation
> in the floor of the mouth
>
> Imaging CT scan or MRI Fine needle aspiration biopsy
>
> Treatment Superficial parotidectomy for parotid pleomorphic adenomas Excise whole submandibular
> gland if tumour located there
>
> I'm not a doctor, I just find the best web sites (I can find) for various views.
>
> Maybe you should go with her and talk with the surgeon about how involved it is, whether there's
> symptoms, what the risks are etc.., then ask about radiation therapy? J - not a doctor

"Prabhu Ram Prasath" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know about the various treatments that were available for Salivary gland tumor,
> medically known as Pleomorphic Adenoma Parotid Gland.
>
> My mother has got this tumor and she has just got a little bulge below her ears and what are the
> various treatment available for the tumor.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Prabhu Ram Prasath

Surgery is the only good treatment if it is growing. If it's small and growing slowly, and she is
old, it could be watched. Radiotherapy is sometimes given post op