Salmon Mudguards - Info here

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Msa, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Posted originally on uk.rec.cycling, thought it might be of use here too.

    So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
    road bikes without clearance for normal guards.

    Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
    cheap, but I had no other alternative.

    The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
    seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
    front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
    modified a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome,
    but again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

    The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under it. Because my bike has
    virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket tightly up under the
    frame using a hammer and a piece of wood to protect it.

    The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the fork at all.

    Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in a couple of seconds,
    leaving just the brackets in place.

    The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.

    Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing as
    there isn't...8/10

    Hope this is of use to someone!

    I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.

    http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

    Tags:

  2. Alan Fishman

    Alan Fishman Guest

    Does anyone know if anyone in the US sells these or anything similar to this? Given the way this
    winter has been in Ohio I'm ready for something like this.

    Alan

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Posted originally on uk.rec.cycling, thought it might be of use here too.
    >
    > So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
    > road bikes without clearance for normal guards.
    >
    > Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
    > cheap, but I had no other alternative.
    >
    > The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
    > seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
    > front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
    modified
    > a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome, but
    > again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
    >
    > The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under
    it.
    > Because my bike has virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket
    > tightly up under the frame using a hammer and a piece
    of
    > wood to protect it.
    >
    > The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the
    fork
    > at all.
    >
    > Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in
    > couple of seconds, leaving just the brackets in place.
    >
    > The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.
    >
    > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    > as there isn't...8/10
    >
    > Hope this is of use to someone!
    >
    > I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.
    >

    > http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388
    >

    > --
    > Mark
    > ______________________________________
    >
    > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  3. Pooh

    Pooh Guest

    I researched this for my bikes and have come to the conclusion as follows:

    The Planet Bike "Freedy Fenders", are made of polycarbonate which is an engineering structural
    polymer. The stays are steel. Full size fenders. However the polycarbonate material plus mud flaps
    made this product overall a standout. I understand that they come in other colors in addition to
    black. I paid $30 retail, and they are very nice.

    I didn't care for the Zefal brand of fenders at all. Though they have many, all off the non full
    size fenders don't work, they're crap. The full size fenders that they sell use a cellulose based
    polymer that isn't nearly as capable or strong as polycarbonate.

    SKG, makes a nice looking full size fender with an aluminum inner layer so they look shiny and new.
    These are probably very nice and in the same price range too. They didn't have my size at the time.
    The fasteners were good also.

    My recommendation is either Planet Bike Freddy Fenders, or SKG.

    news:<[email protected]>...