Salmon Road Mudguards - Info here

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Msa, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Msa

    Msa Guest

    So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
    road bikes without clearance for normal guards.

    Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
    cheap, but I had no other alternative.

    The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
    seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
    front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
    modified a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome,
    but again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

    The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under it. Because my bike has
    virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket tightly up under the
    frame using a hammer and a piece of wood to protect it.

    The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the fork at all.

    Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in a couple of seconds,
    leaving just the brackets in place.

    The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.

    Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing as
    there isn't...8/10

    Hope this is of use to someone!

    I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.

    http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:02:50 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing as
    >there isn't...8/10
    >
    >Hope this is of use to someone!

    Yes, very useful, been contemplating Salmon guards for a while now. Thanks for the info.

    Could you let us know how they actually perform? They look awfully narrow and I'd like to know just
    how effective they are at keeping the wet off.

    Bob

  3. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:02:50 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    as
    > >there isn't...8/10
    > >
    > >Hope this is of use to someone!
    >
    > Yes, very useful, been contemplating Salmon guards for a while now. Thanks for the info.
    >
    > Could you let us know how they actually perform? They look awfully narrow and I'd like to know
    > just how effective they are at keeping the wet off.
    >

    > Bob
    > --
    > Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

    I'm off in the morning on a 100k ride. If it's wet, I'll report back! For info, I have 23mm tyres
    and the guards are exactly the same width...I'm guessing they will stop 90% or so of the spray.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    as
    > > there isn't...8/10
    > >
    > > Hope this is of use to someone!
    > >

    > Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
    >
    > I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance
    > so I can use 23s.
    >
    > Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit
    > like yours?

    OK, back from the 100k ride..and as always on a Sunday, it was raining! Ta Da!!!...my arse stayed
    completely dry! I was riding in a group of 5, 2 who don't have guards so my front got fairly
    dirty, but the back of my longs, and the back of my jacket stayed clean and dry, as did my saddle.
    So they come recommended, no rubbing at all and no rattles...although that could be down to the
    expert fitting!

    Now the bracket question...yes they can be purchased separately. Salmon's site is crap! Got to
    http://www.cyclesdsalmon.com/ and click on the link right at the bottom "Click here for accessories
    GB", that will take you to the page where the bits and bobs are. Email Salmon with your
    requirements, they seem to reply the next day. Warning...they speak poor English! If you can speak
    French then phone them, alternatively do what I did and translate an email to them using
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/. I understand postage is free until the end of January.

    Good luck.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    as
    > > there isn't...8/10
    > >
    > > Hope this is of use to someone!
    > >

    > Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
    >
    > I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance
    > so I can use 23s.
    >
    > Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit
    > like yours?

    I must say that those brackets and stuff seemed like a bit of messing about. I'd have thought
    getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping could get you something
    similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree bends)

    As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I can do - although I do not
    have any old guards to butcher.

  6. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but
    seeing
    > as
    > > > there isn't...8/10
    > > >
    > > > Hope this is of use to someone!
    > > >

    > > Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
    > >
    > > I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would
    like
    > > to have more clearance so I can use 23s.
    > >
    > > Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my
    existing
    > > guards to fit like yours?
    >

    > I must say that those brackets and stuff seemed like a bit of messing
    about.
    > I'd have thought getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping could
    > get you something similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree bends)
    >
    > As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I can do - although I do not
    > have any old guards to butcher.

    Must admit I did think about doing this. Halfords have some nice mudguards for £11.99 that I was
    going to adapt. However, at the moment I just haven't got the time.

    Let us know how you get on though if you decide to take this route, I'd be interested to see how
    you get on.

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  7. W K

    W K Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "W K"

    > > I'd have thought getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping
    > > could get you something similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree
    > > bends)
    > >
    > > As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I
    can
    > > do - although I do not have any old guards to butcher.
    > >

    > Must admit I did think about doing this. Halfords have some nice
    mudguards
    > for £11.99 that I was going to adapt. However, at the moment I just
    haven't
    > got the time.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on though if you decide to take this route, I'd be interested to see how
    > you get on.

    I'm really lazy at the mo, my rather large garage barely has a couple of square feet to move in, and
    I'm supposed to be preparing for a 1/2 marathon. Add to this that the bike in question needs a new
    headset, and I've not been using it.... ... we'll see.

  8. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
    > road bikes without clearance for normal guards.
    >
    > Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
    > cheap, but I had no other alternative.
    >
    > The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
    > seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
    > front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
    modified
    > a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome, but
    > again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
    >
    > The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under
    it.
    > Because my bike has virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket
    > tightly up under the frame using a hammer and a piece
    of
    > wood to protect it.
    >
    > The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the
    fork
    > at all.
    >
    > Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in
    > couple of seconds, leaving just the brackets in place.
    >
    > The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.
    >
    > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    > as there isn't...8/10
    >
    > Hope this is of use to someone!
    >
    > I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.
    >

    > http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388
    >

    > --
    > Mark
    > ______________________________________
    >
    > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
    >

    > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=8413

  9. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased
    was
    > > the GBF1D, designed for road bikes without clearance for normal guards.
    > >
    > > Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
    > > cheap, but I had no other alternative.
    > >
    > > The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
    > > seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece
    of
    > > paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the front fixing goes onto
    the
    > > fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
    > modified
    > > a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome, but
    > > again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
    > >
    > > The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under
    > it.
    > > Because my bike has virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort
    > > tapping the bracket tightly up under the frame using a hammer and a
    piece
    > of
    > > wood to protect it.
    > >
    > > The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the
    > fork
    > > at all.
    > >
    > > Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed
    in
    > > couple of seconds, leaving just the brackets in place.
    > >
    > > The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.
    > >
    > > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    as
    > > there isn't...8/10
    > >
    > > Hope this is of use to someone!
    > >
    > > I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.
    > >

    > > http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388
    > >

    > > --
    > > Mark
    > > ______________________________________
    > >
    > > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
    > >

    > > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=8413

    Good link for fittings. If anyone is thinking of ordering though, bear in mind these aren't the ones
    that go OVER the rear brake. Apparently the NEW ones aren't available in the UK yet???

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  10. Jimbob

    Jimbob Guest

    > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
    > as there isn't...8/10
    >
    > Hope this is of use to someone!

    Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.

    I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance so
    I can use 23s.

    Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit like yours?

  11. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:40:10 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >OK, back from the 100k ride..and as always on a Sunday, it was raining! Ta Da!!!...my arse stayed
    >completely dry! I was riding in a group of 5, 2 who don't have guards so my front got fairly
    >dirty, but the back of my longs, and the back of my jacket stayed clean and dry, as did my saddle.
    >So they come recommended, no rubbing at all and no rattles...although that could be down to the
    >expert fitting!

    Thanks for the info Mark, very useful :eek:)

    Bob

  12. Call Me Bob