Salmon Road Mudguards - Info here

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Msa

So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
road bikes without clearance for normal guards.

Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
cheap, but I had no other alternative.

The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
modified a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome,
but again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.

The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under it. Because my bike has
virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket tightly up under the
frame using a hammer and a piece of wood to protect it.

The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the fork at all.

Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in a couple of seconds,
leaving just the brackets in place.

The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.

Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing as
there isn't...8/10

Hope this is of use to someone!

I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.

http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388

--
Mark

"Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:02:50 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing as
>there isn't...8/10
>
>Hope this is of use to someone!

Yes, very useful, been contemplating Salmon guards for a while now. Thanks for the info.

Could you let us know how they actually perform? They look awfully narrow and I'd like to know just
how effective they are at keeping the wet off.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 21:02:50 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
as
> >there isn't...8/10
> >
> >Hope this is of use to someone!
>
> Yes, very useful, been contemplating Salmon guards for a while now. Thanks for the info.
>
> Could you let us know how they actually perform? They look awfully narrow and I'd like to know
> just how effective they are at keeping the wet off.
>
>
>
> Bob
> --
> Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

I'm off in the morning on a 100k ride. If it's wet, I'll report back! For info, I have 23mm tyres
and the guards are exactly the same width...I'm guessing they will stop 90% or so of the spray.

--
Mark

"JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
as
> > there isn't...8/10
> >
> > Hope this is of use to someone!
> >
>
>
> Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
>
> I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance
> so I can use 23s.
>
> Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit
> like yours?
>
>

OK, back from the 100k ride..and as always on a Sunday, it was raining! Ta Da!!!...my **** stayed
completely dry! I was riding in a group of 5, 2 who don't have guards so my front got fairly
dirty, but the back of my longs, and the back of my jacket stayed clean and dry, as did my saddle.
So they come recommended, no rubbing at all and no rattles...although that could be down to the
expert fitting!

Now the bracket question...yes they can be purchased separately. Salmon's site is ****! Got to
http://www.cyclesdsalmon.com/ and click on the link right at the bottom "Click here for accessories
GB", that will take you to the page where the bits and bobs are. Email Salmon with your
requirements, they seem to reply the next day. Warning...they speak poor English! If you can speak
French then phone them, alternatively do what I did and translate an email to them using
http://babelfish.altavista.com/. I understand postage is free until the end of January.

Good luck.

--
Mark

"JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
as
> > there isn't...8/10
> >
> >
>
>
> Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
>
> I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance
> so I can use 23s.
>
> Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit
> like yours?

I must say that those brackets and stuff seemed like a bit of messing about. I'd have thought
getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping could get you something
similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree bends)

As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I can do - although I do not
have any old guards to butcher.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "JimBob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but
seeing
> as
> > > there isn't...8/10
> > >
> > > Hope this is of use to someone!
> > >
> >
> >
> > Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.
> >
> > I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would
> > to have more clearance so I can use 23s.
> >
> > Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my
existing
> > guards to fit like yours?
>
>
> I must say that those brackets and stuff seemed like a bit of messing
about.
> I'd have thought getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping could
> get you something similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree bends)
>
> As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I can do - although I do not
> have any old guards to butcher.
>
>

Must admit I did think about doing this. Halfords have some nice mudguards for £11.99 that I was
going to adapt. However, at the moment I just haven't got the time.

Let us know how you get on though if you decide to take this route, I'd be interested to see how
you get on.

--
Mark

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "W K"

> > I'd have thought getting a strip of Al from B+Q, plus a bit of bending drilling and chopping
> > could get you something similar if not lighter. (I would attempt to stiffen it at those 90degree
> > bends)
> >
> > As my bike is almost an instant hack (ie from new), I might see what I
can
> > do - although I do not have any old guards to butcher.
> >
> >
>
> Must admit I did think about doing this. Halfords have some nice
mudguards
> for £11.99 that I was going to adapt. However, at the moment I just
haven't
> got the time.
>
> Let us know how you get on though if you decide to take this route, I'd be interested to see how
> you get on.

I'm really lazy at the mo, my rather large garage barely has a couple of square feet to move in, and
I'm supposed to be preparing for a 1/2 marathon. Add to this that the bike in question needs a new
headset, and I've not been using it.... ... we'll see.

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased was the GBF1D, designed for
> road bikes without clearance for normal guards.
>
> Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
> cheap, but I had no other alternative.
>
> The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
> seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece of paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the
> front fixing goes onto the fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
modified
> a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome, but
> again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
>
> The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under
it.
> Because my bike has virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort to tapping the bracket
> tightly up under the frame using a hammer and a piece
of
> wood to protect it.
>
> The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the
fork
> at all.
>
> Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed in
a
> couple of seconds, leaving just the brackets in place.
>
> The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.
>
> Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
> as there isn't...8/10
>
> Hope this is of use to someone!
>
> I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.
>
>
> http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mark
> ______________________________________
>
> "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
>
>
> http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=8413

"Graham" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > So, the mudguards have arrived from Salmon in France. Model purchased
was
> > the GBF1D, designed for road bikes without clearance for normal guards.
> >
> > Total price including postage etc was 55 Euros, without checking exactly that's about £36. Not
> > cheap, but I had no other alternative.
> >
> > The mudguards come complete with all fixings, including various mounts depending upon your fork,
> > seat-stay thickness. The manual (well, piece
of
> > paper with dodgy photographs) suggests that the front fixing goes onto
the
> > fork dropouts using the brackets provided, I didn't want this so I
> modified
> > a rear adaptor to fit to the fork itself. The rear seat-stay fitting is quite cumbersome, but
> > again I made a small change to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
> >
> > The rear guard goes OVER the rear brake but the bracket still goes under
> it.
> > Because my bike has virtually no clearance at all here, I had to resort
to
> > tapping the bracket tightly up under the frame using a hammer and a
piece
> of
> > wood to protect it.
> >
> > The front guard fits very simply. It does not protrude in front of the
> fork
> > at all.
> >
> > Both guards have an Allen key connection that allows them to be removed
in
> a
> > couple of seconds, leaving just the brackets in place.
> >
> > The mudguards are very secure and do not rattle at all.
> >
as
> > there isn't...8/10
> >
> >
> > I have posted pictures of the mudguards fitted to my bike, which should explain better.
> >
> >
> > http://msa.fotopic.net/show_collection.php?id=11388
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Mark
> > ______________________________________
> >
> > "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"
> >
> >
> > http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/detail.cfm?ID=8413

Good link for fittings. If anyone is thinking of ordering though, bear in mind these aren't the ones
that go OVER the rear brake. Apparently the NEW ones aren't available in the UK yet???

--
Mark

> Quality of product: 7/10 Ease of fitting: 5/10 VFM: 4/10 if there was an alternative, but seeing
> as there isn't...8/10
>
> Hope this is of use to someone!
>

Excellent! Thanks a bundle for your effort - really useful.

I already have some guards fitted with minimal clearance, but I would like to have more clearance so
I can use 23s.

Can the brackets be purchased seperately so that I can butcher my existing guards to fit like yours?

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:40:10 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, back from the 100k ride..and as always on a Sunday, it was raining! Ta Da!!!...my **** stayed
>completely dry! I was riding in a group of 5, 2 who don't have guards so my front got fairly
>dirty, but the back of my longs, and the back of my jacket stayed clean and dry, as did my saddle.
>So they come recommended, no rubbing at all and no rattles...although that could be down to the
>expert fitting!

Thanks for the info Mark, very useful :eek:)

Bob
--

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:40:10 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK, back from the 100k ride..and as always on a Sunday, it was raining! Ta Da!!!...my **** stayed
>completely dry! I was riding in a group of 5, 2 who don't have guards so my front got fairly
>dirty, but the back of my longs, and the back of my jacket stayed clean and dry, as did my saddle.
>So they come recommended, no rubbing at all and no rattles...although that could be down to the
>expert fitting!

Thanks for the info Mark, very useful :eek:)

Bob
--

Status
Not open for further replies.