Salmon Smell

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Fb, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Fb

    Fb Guest

    I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way to
    cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 22:50:43 GMT, "FB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way to
    >cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Cook it at a friend's house.

    Actually, you can grill it outside, weather permitting, or you might want to invest in a good vent
    fan for your kitchen, which can prove invaluable in cooking all sorts of smelly things.

    Boron

  3. Rmiller

    Rmiller Guest

    >I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way to
    >cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Tyr cooking it outside on the grill, it tastes best that way , I think. Rosie

  4. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Buy first class salmon not farmed.

    FB wrote:

    > I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way
    > to cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    FB wrote:

    > I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way
    > to cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    BBQ

  6. In article <[email protected]>,
    FB <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way to
    >cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Steaming works for me. With the stove exhaust fan running.

    Also it helps if the fish is fresh.

    -A

  7. Puester

    Puester Guest

    FB wrote:

    > I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way
    > to cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Cook it outdoors on the grille. Brush with an oil-based herb marinade or plain olive oil or melted
    butter or even mayonnaise so it doesn't stick to the grille. We have salmon often and I don't think
    I have EVER cooked it indoors.

    gloria p

  8. [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Buy first class salmon not farmed.

    That has nothing to do with it. Salmon is a fatty fish. When you cook it, the fats come out and
    release a fishier smell than most fish --especially if you're sauteeing it. I like to poach it in a
    flavored liquid. A bit of soy, ginger and asian spice to the poaching water, with some lemon. Not as
    much smell.

  9. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "FB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of
    days.
    > Is there a good way to cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Sure. Take a piece of foil large enough to wrap the salmon very loosely, oil it and place the salmon
    on it. Season the salmon with salt and papper and whatever else you might like, (I like lemon
    pepper), and close the foil. Place it on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven until the salmon is
    done to your liking. The time will depend on the thickness and temperature of the fish and your
    taste in doneness, but try 20 minutes and have a look; you can always give it more time. When it's
    done throw the foil away. No smell, no washing up.

  10. Dennis G .

    Dennis G . Guest

    "FB" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good way to
    >cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    I'll assume steaks or fillets ??.

    Fish lose the smell if you clean them with a light acid wash. I always(well, nearly) put fish in the
    sink or a bowl of warm tepid water and add a cap of lemon juice or vinegar before cooking. Then I
    rinse it off under the tap.

    Dennis

  11. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 23:59:45 GMT, [email protected]
    wrote:

    > Buy first class salmon not farmed.
    >
    > FB wrote:
    >
    > > I love Salmon but everytime I cook it, my house stinks for a couple of days. Is there a good
    > > way to cook salmon without stinking up the place? Thanks.

    Nope, it's not a farm vs. wild problem. Fresher fish will solve the problem.

  12. Connieg999

    Connieg999 Guest

    >From: Dave Smith <[email protected]>

    >BBQ

    Barbequed salmon? Are you kidding? I've never tasted it and never knew it existed. Don't you negate
    the salmon flavor with the sauce?

    (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

    Connie
    My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

  13. Bob

    Bob Guest

    ConnieG999 wrote:
    >> From: Dave Smith <[email protected]>
    >
    >> BBQ
    >
    > Barbequed salmon? Are you kidding? I've never tasted it and never knew it existed. Don't you
    > negate the salmon flavor with the sauce?
    >
    > (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)
    >
    > Connie
    > My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

    Barbecue is *not* all about the sauce. Sauce is used to cover up mistakes.

    BOB

  14. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ConnieG999 wrote:

    > >From: Dave Smith <[email protected]>
    >
    > >BBQ
    >
    > Barbequed salmon? Are you kidding? I've never tasted it and never knew it existed. Don't you
    > negate the salmon flavor with the sauce?

    Sauce? What sauce? Just toss it on the grill with a bit oil or butter and salt and pepper and add a
    little fresh dill when it is almost done. I think it is the best way to cook salmon. Steaks need to
    be flipped over to cook both sides. Fillets can be cooked skin side down.

  15. Nancy Dooley

    Nancy Dooley Guest

    Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > ConnieG999 wrote:
    >
    > > >From: Dave Smith <[email protected]>
    >
    > > >BBQ
    > >
    > > Barbequed salmon? Are you kidding? I've never tasted it and never knew it existed. Don't you
    > > negate the salmon flavor with the sauce?
    >
    > Sauce? What sauce? Just toss it on the grill with a bit oil or butter and salt and pepper and add
    > a little fresh dill when it is almost done. I think it is the best way to cook salmon. Steaks need
    > to be flipped over to cook both sides. Fillets can be cooked skin side down.

    Ah, you're talkin' GRILLED salmon, not "barbequed" salmon. ;-) Wait 'til the Q-ers see this. ;-)

    N.