Salsa Caballero FS Scandium frame.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Spider, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Well, just was dinking around and looking at websites, and saw that Salsa has hopped on the
    Hypetainium bandwagon.

    I'm guessing $850-950 for the frame with the SID? I wonder what the warranty is going to be (LOL!)

    It would be interesting to ride one, just to see how it felt. The specs looked generic, even at 4"
    of travel. I'll bet finding a built-up one at a bike shop would be tough.

    Looks nice, tho'. Black's the fastest, lightest color, right? ;)

    Spider

    Tags:

  2. Spider

    Spider Guest

    [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Well, just was dinking around and looking at websites, and saw that Salsa has hopped on the
    > Hypetainium bandwagon.
    >
    > I'm guessing $850-950 for the frame with the SID? I wonder what the warranty is going to be (LOL!)
    >
    > It would be interesting to ride one, just to see how it felt. The specs looked generic, even at 4"
    > of travel. I'll bet finding a built-up one at a bike shop would be tough.
    >
    > Looks nice, tho'. Black's the fastest, lightest color, right? ;)

    Update:

    I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to smaller
    seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!

    Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)

    I have similar questions in to Castellano about the Fango. Will post with MTB CONTENT FOR PENNY as
    soon as they reply back.

    ROTFL,

    Spider

  3. Penny S.

    Penny S. Guest

    "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Update:

    > I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to
    > smaller seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!
    >
    > Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    > short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    > warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)
    >
    > I have similar questions in to Castellano about the Fango. Will post with MTB CONTENT FOR PENNY as
    > soon as they reply back.
    >
    > ROTFL,
    >
    > Spider

    haha, saw that ;-)

    now if you'd quit dogging HWMNBN that would be great... why bother isn't it sort of like hitting
    your head against a wall? Never mind, I don't want to know the answer to that.

    p.

  4. Spider

    Spider Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Update:
    > >
    > > I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to
    > > smaller seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!
    > >
    > > Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    > > short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    > > warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)
    > >
    > > I have similar questions in to Castellano about the Fango. Will post with MTB CONTENT FOR PENNY
    > > as soon as they reply back.
    > >
    > > ROTFL,
    > >
    > > Spider
    >
    > haha, saw that ;-)
    >
    > now if you'd quit dogging HWMNBN that would be great...

    Oh, now - you know better than that. "Mark thread read," etc.

    > why bother isn't it sort of like hitting your head against a wall?

    Well, yes and no.

    Yes, because he'll never "get it." And no because some misguided soul might actually believe that he
    has some sort of science background, or that his claims are legitimate in any way. Or, just because
    it fun to humiliate him by playing his own game against him. *I* don't take him (or myself) too
    seriously.

    > Never mind, I don't want to know the answer to that.

    Heh. *You* had to go and ask...

    BTW, invoking his name won't cause magic spells to be unleashed, nor will *not* speaking his name
    keep him out of a.m-b. Might as well go ahead, unless one decides that he might do searches on
    his name in some way so as to respond in those threads. I find "Vandespam" to be an excellent
    moniker. :)

    MTB content:

    I have been in further communication with Salsa over the comments made in the return e-mail. The
    responder has been pretty forthright, and has answered some tough questions. I will post and
    update soon.

    Spider

  5. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Well, just was dinking around and looking at websites, and saw that Salsa has hopped on the
    > > Hypetainium bandwagon.
    > >
    > > I'm guessing $850-950 for the frame with the SID? I wonder what the warranty is going to be
    > > (LOL!)
    > >
    > > It would be interesting to ride one, just to see how it felt. The specs looked generic, even at
    > > 4" of travel. I'll bet finding a built-up one at a bike shop would be tough.
    > >
    > > Looks nice, tho'. Black's the fastest, lightest color, right? ;)
    >

    > Update:
    >
    > I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to
    > smaller seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!
    >
    > Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    > short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    > warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)

    <snip>

    Salsa hasn't been Salsa since 1997, and they really took a dive when Ross Schafer left in June/July
    of 1999. Of course Schafer really hadn't been Schafer since he closed "Red Bush".

    Nothing but HYPE.....

  6. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    On 27 Mar 2003 09:19:11 -0800, Spider <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Well, just was dinking around and looking at websites, and saw that Salsa has hopped on the
    >> Hypetainium bandwagon.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing $850-950 for the frame with the SID? I wonder what the warranty is going to
    >> be (LOL!)
    >>
    >> It would be interesting to ride one, just to see how it felt. The specs looked generic, even at
    >> 4" of travel. I'll bet finding a built-up one at a bike shop would be tough.
    >>
    >> Looks nice, tho'. Black's the fastest, lightest color, right? ;)
    >

    > Update:
    >
    > I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to
    > smaller seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!
    >
    > Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    > short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    > warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)
    >
    > I have similar questions in to Castellano about the Fango. Will post with MTB CONTENT FOR PENNY as
    > soon as they reply back.
    >
    > ROTFL,
    >
    > Spider

    I rode a Ripley for a year, and put quite a bit of mileage on it. A magical bike, for sure, but it
    just didn't fit me. Anyhow, the warranty was ten years on the front end, and lifetime on the back
    (of course, Ibis went belly up, so it's no good trying to get them to honor warranty claims now). If
    you are considering the Fango, don't delay any longer. Get it now.

    Miles

  7. Spider

    Spider Guest

    miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 27 Mar 2003 09:19:11 -0800, Spider <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > [email protected] (Spider) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Well, just was dinking around and looking at websites, and saw that Salsa has hopped on the
    > >> Hypetainium bandwagon.
    > >>
    > >> I'm guessing $850-950 for the frame with the SID? I wonder what the warranty is going to be
    > >> (LOL!)
    > >>
    > >> It would be interesting to ride one, just to see how it felt. The specs looked generic, even at
    > >> 4" of travel. I'll bet finding a built-up one at a bike shop would be tough.
    > >>
    > >> Looks nice, tho'. Black's the fastest, lightest color, right? ;)
    > >

    > > Update:
    > >
    > > I got an e-mail back from them. Scandium is supposed to help "reduce road vibrations due to
    > > smaller seatstays." Uhhh, on a FS MTB? LOL!
    > >
    > > Warranty is 3 years. I asked "well, if the Sc frame is more durable, then why is the warranty so
    > > short?" I mean, it's a nice frame and all, but it's hardly ground-breaking, and without a longer
    > > warranty, I would not buy the thing (especially in it's first year!)
    > >
    > > I have similar questions in to Castellano about the Fango. Will post with MTB CONTENT FOR PENNY
    > > as soon as they reply back.
    > >
    > > ROTFL,
    > >
    > > Spider
    > >

    > I rode a Ripley for a year, and put quite a bit of mileage on it. A magical bike, for sure, but it
    > just didn't fit me. Anyhow, the warranty was ten years on the front end, and lifetime on the back
    > (of course, Ibis went belly up, so it's no good trying to get them to honor warranty claims now).
    > If you are considering the Fango, don't delay any longer. Get it now.
    >
    > Miles

    Tell me more about the Riply, if you would. After some searching around, I found some rag reviews of
    both, but I would rather hear from somebody who actually rode one, and owned it over a period of
    time. Especially the downsides.

    Castellano never did return my e-mail, which is a pisser, because I have some additional tech
    questions for them. But I did find out that the frame was warranteed for LIFE. Sorry Salsa - if a
    tiny framemaker can warranty a flexible aluminum (aluminium for our Limey friends) bike for life,
    then you guys should be able to do the same on you Scandium Caballero.

    Dreamride is offering free, sales-tax-less shipping with an included, installed WTB or King headset
    on their Fango frames. For a fin less than a grand. Not too bad - that puts in right in the same
    territory with the Caballero.

    I'm leaning more toward the Fango, but I am keeping an open mind.

    Spider