Salsa chainring quality

I need to replace the 40T middle chainring on my Campy Veloce triple
crank. I have found prices for Salsa rings to be less than half
compared to Campy and TA rings. Salsa are about $25, Campy and TA are
from $50-60. Are the Salsa rings a good deal?

Thanks.

On Jun 19, 6:30 am, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need to replace the 40T middle chainring on my Campy Veloce triple
> crank. I have found prices for Salsa rings to be less than half
> compared to Campy and TA rings. Salsa are about $25, Campy and TA are
> from $50-60. Are the Salsa rings a good deal?
>
> Thanks.

Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..get a TA...$45
in the republic...

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..
> get a TA...$45 in the republic...

TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've never
used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA ring
that warrants the higher price?

James Thomson

On Jun 19, 8:30 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need to replace the 40T middle chainring on my Campy Veloce triple
> crank. I have found prices for Salsa rings to be less than half
> compared to Campy and TA rings. Salsa are about $25, Campy and TA are
> from $50-60. Are the Salsa rings a good deal?
>
> Thanks.

I bought a 26t granny ring made by Salsa. The ring looked like it was
made from aluminum powder that was pressed to form the ring. It looked
kinda cheap. For another bike I bought a set of TA rings to replace
the Ultegra triple chainrings. They looked like they were cut from a
block of aluminum and given a mirror-like finish. The TAs look as good
as Record. I'd put it this way, if you're getting new rings for a
beater bike then get Salsa, if you're buying replacements for your
pride & joy then it's definitely TA.

On Jun 19, 7:29 am, "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..
> > get a TA...$45 in the republic...

> TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
> material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've never
> used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA ring
> that warrants the higher price?
>
> James Thomson

We sell a ton of TA and are Campag.shimano quality. No reason to
change from these. I have them on my rigs and they wear well.

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..
> > get a TA...$45 in the republic...

> TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
> material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've

never
> used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA

ring
> that warrants the higher price?
>
> James Thomson

TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years and their quality is as
good as any chainring available. Salsa chainrings are mid range price and
quality wise.

I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for "compact"
gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD have stainless pins to
help shifting. This is the best shifting chainring I've ever used.

Chas.

"* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years

I know.

> and their quality is as good as any chainring available.

I agree.

> Salsa chainrings are mid range price

As established in the original post.

> and quality wise.

Right, that was the question. Salsa and TA rings use the same material (7075
T6). Salsa rings seem well made and finished. Are they less round than TA
rings? Are the teeth less precisely cut? Are they less durable?

> I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for
> "compact" gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD
> have stainless pins to help shifting. This is the best shifting chainring
> I've ever used.

Shimano make the best-shifting chainrings I've used, but I generally buy TA
because they're durable, and inexpensive on the domestic market.

James Thomson

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>I need to replace the 40T middle chainring on my Campy Veloce triple
>crank. I have found prices for Salsa rings to be less than half
>compared to Campy and TA rings. Salsa are about $25, Campy and TA are
>from $50-60. Are the Salsa rings a good deal?

_I've used salsa rings and they work just fine as far as I can
tell with friction shifting. If you are using indexed shifting,
they might not have all the pins and ramps of the more expensive
brands. Also, you might check that it's really a middle triple
ring and not just the inner ring of a double.

_ Booker C. Bense

On Jun 19, 10:33 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> > > Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..
> > > get a TA...$45 in the republic...

> > TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
> > material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've

> never
> > used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA

> ring
> > that warrants the higher price?

> > James Thomson

> TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years and their quality is as
> good as any chainring available. Salsa chainrings are mid range price and
> quality wise.

Geez, 'back in the day', TA Cyclotouriste rings were made of the
softest cheese on the market (a B-59 on the Rockwell B scale, compared
to a B-86 for DA, B-88 for Campy, and a B-95 for SuntourSprint and
Superbe). The present reality might be OK, but don't be bragging on
TA's past.

> I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for "compact"
> gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD have stainless pins to
> help shifting. This is the best shifting chainring I've ever used.
>
> Chas.

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
> > TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years

> I know.
>
> > and their quality is as good as any chainring available.

> I agree.
>
> > Salsa chainrings are mid range price

> As established in the original post.
>
> > and quality wise.

> Right, that was the question. Salsa and TA rings use the same material

(7075
> T6). Salsa rings seem well made and finished. Are they less round than

TA
> rings? Are the teeth less precisely cut? Are they less durable?
>
> > I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for
> > "compact" gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD
> > have stainless pins to help shifting. This is the best shifting

chainring
> > I've ever used.

> Shimano make the best-shifting chainrings I've used, but I generally buy

TA
> because they're durable, and inexpensive on the domestic market.
>
> James Thomson

Don't know, can't answer those questions. I looked at TA chainrings and a
lot of other brands. The TAs where much better cosmetically so I figure if
they go to that much trouble then they are probably a little better made.

Are the teeth black on the Salsa CRs? If so then they are probably
anodized and may last slightly longer but may wear chains a little more
than exposed aluminum teeth. Theoretical point.

I haven't seen too many problems with smaller chainring as far as shifting
is concerned and you might not notice an out of round condition until it
was way out - BioPace for example.

Chas.

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Jun 19, 10:33 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> a écrit:

> > > Pay less for a chainring and you get what you pay for..
> > > get a TA...$45 in the republic...

> > TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
> > material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've

> never
> > used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA

> ring
> > that warrants the higher price?

> > James Thomson

> TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years and their quality is as
> good as any chainring available. Salsa chainrings are mid range price

and
> quality wise.

Geez, 'back in the day', TA Cyclotouriste rings were made of the
softest cheese on the market (a B-59 on the Rockwell B scale, compared
to a B-86 for DA, B-88 for Campy, and a B-95 for SuntourSprint and
Superbe). The present reality might be OK, but don't be bragging on
TA's past.

> I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for "compact"
> gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD have stainless pins to
> help shifting. This is the best shifting chainring I've ever used.
>
> Chas.

Ouch!

On Jun 19, 1:21 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 19, 10:33 am, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > "James Thomson" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >news:[email protected]...

> > > TA rings are fine, but TA and Salsa rings are both made of the same
> > > material - 7075 T6 aluminium, and those Salsa rings I've seen (I've

> > never
> > > used one) seem well made and finished. What's the advantage of the TA

> > ring
> > > that warrants the higher price?

> > > James Thomson

> > TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years and their quality is as
> > good as any chainring available. Salsa chainrings are mid range price

> and
> > quality wise.

> Geez, 'back in the day', TA Cyclotouriste rings were made of the
> softest cheese on the market (a B-59 on the Rockwell B scale, compared
> to a B-86 for DA, B-88 for Campy, and a B-95 for SuntourSprint and
> Superbe). The present reality might be OK, but don't be bragging on
> TA's past.
>
> > I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for "compact"
> > gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD have stainless pins to
> > help shifting. This is the best shifting chainring I've ever used.

> > Chas.

> Ouch!-

Ouch???

James Thomson wrote:

> "* * Chas" <[email protected]> a écrit:
>
>> TA has been making chainrings for over 50 years

> I know.
>
>> and their quality is as good as any chainring available.

> I agree.

Plus you make a small family owned company rich. Personally I'm much
more likely to spend extra money for such a product than for one from a
big company where marketing and advertisement costs dominate.

> Salsa and TA rings use the same material
> (7075 T6). Salsa rings seem well made and finished. Are they less
> round than TA rings? Are the teeth less precisely cut? Are they less
> durable?

I can't comment on the ones from Salsa as I never used them. Generally
cheap rings will likely have thinner teeth and thus will wear faster. I
remember a set of rings on a Sugino crank that was eaten up in no time
on my MTB. These were of the very cheap, stamped variant.

>> I switched from a Campy 53T to a TA 48T on one of my bikes for
>> "compact" gearing. The TA larger chainrings for 135mm BCD
>> have stainless pins to help shifting. This is the best shifting
>> chainring I've ever used.

> Shimano make the best-shifting chainrings I've used, but I generally
> buy TA because they're durable, and inexpensive on the domestic
> market.

For minimum wear steel rings will be best. I have a Campagnolo Xenon
crank here which performs very nicely. Well finished crankarms and
steel rings which will most probably last forever. The weight penalty
is insignificant at least for touring or commuting.

Günther