Salsa La Raza

msander19

Aug 25, 2006
I was looking at getting one of these frames and having never had a steel bike was wondering how noticeable the extra weight would be? I know it weighs about 4 lbs, and the fork weighs 1.2 lbs. How does this compare to low to mid range aluminum frames? Thanks

It would be a great ride, with the steel feel. I'd go for it, as you could probably lose the difference in weight. It wouldn't be that noticable and would have a great feel over low end aluminium frames, plus it is stronger. I have a steel singlespeed which isn't light (about 3.5-4kg for the frame and fork) but is a great ride and very fun. The carbon fork included isn't a heavy one, but it has an aluminium steerer so it won't be light. That aside, it would build up to be a great bike, probably under 10kg (22lb) depending on the components.

You will notice the extra weight, but you should also notice a more cushy ride (I know nothing of the bike you are mentioning). The fact is, for most of nice a slightly heavier frame means nothing, as we have ample... body weight to make for it! Enjoy the ride, remember, steel is real! :rolleyes: :D