Salsa Primero

SlowRunner

Guest
Does anyone out there have experience with the Salsa Primero? It's a
lightweight True Temper S3 steel frame that I'm considering for my
next road bike. I've scanned the internet looking for negative
comments. About the only negative I've found so far is that the thin
steel tubes may be easy to dent.

Ride quality seems good, though it's hard to gauge a frame on a test
ride with a different saddle, wheels and components than I'm used to.

If anyone's got a Primero in their stable, I'd love to hear your
comments.

-JR

I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

Steel is a great material for frames - I have enjoyed a 853 'cross
bike for several seasons will add a lugged classic road frame to my
stable at some point, but I think the thin tubing genre is an attempt
to push the limits of the material to keep up with the CF revolution.

YMMV

Lou D'Amelio

On Jun 18, 4:52 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
> whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
> rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
> steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
> durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
> poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
> of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
> a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
> tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
> the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
> probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

Good points all around. I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic
recreational rider: I like long rides interspersed with hard/fast
workouts, but I don't really race. I do some time trials and I'm
hoping to start triathlons maybe next year, but centuries are my
priority.

I'm also considering something like a Serotta Fierte -- one of the
'regular' steel bikes you refer to. It would stretch my budget, but I
get the impression it might serve me better in the long run.

Thanks for your input.

-JR

On Jun 18, 12:47 pm, SlowRunner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 4:52 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
> > whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
> > rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
> > steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
> > durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
> > poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
> > of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
> > a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
> > tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
> > the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
> > probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

> Good points all around. I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic
> recreational rider: I like long rides interspersed with hard/fast
> workouts, but I don't really race. I do some time trials and I'm
> hoping to start triathlons maybe next year, but centuries are my
> priority.
>
> I'm also considering something like a Serotta Fierte -- one of the
> 'regular' steel bikes you refer to. It would stretch my budget, but I
> get the impression it might serve me better in the long run.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> -JR

How about the Salsa LaRaza, looks like a more durable alternative to
the Primero. Serottas are pretty sweet also, but more of a "money is
no object" design.

Chris

On Jun 18, 5:21 pm, Chris Nelson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 12:47 pm, SlowRunner <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 18, 4:52 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
> > > whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
> > > rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
> > > steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
> > > durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
> > > poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
> > > of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
> > > a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
> > > tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
> > > the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
> > > probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

> > Good points all around. I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic
> > recreational rider: I like long rides interspersed with hard/fast
> > workouts, but I don't really race. I do some time trials and I'm
> > hoping to start triathlons maybe next year, but centuries are my
> > priority.

> > I'm also considering something like a Serotta Fierte -- one of the
> > 'regular' steel bikes you refer to. It would stretch my budget, but I
> > get the impression it might serve me better in the long run.

> > Thanks for your input.

> > -JR

> How about the Salsa LaRaza, looks like a more durable alternative to
> the Primero. Serottas are pretty sweet also, but more of a "money is
> no object" design.

Cost is definitely an object with Ben Serotta: the higher the better.

On Jun 18, 10:47 am, SlowRunner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 4:52 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
> > whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
> > rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
> > steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
> > durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
> > poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
> > of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
> > a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
> > tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
> > the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
> > probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

> Good points all around. I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic
> recreational rider: I like long rides interspersed with hard/fast
> workouts, but I don't really race. I do some time trials and I'm
> hoping to start triathlons maybe next year, but centuries are my
> priority.
>
> I'm also considering something like a Serotta Fierte -- one of the
> 'regular' steel bikes you refer to. It would stretch my budget, but I
> get the impression it might serve me better in the long run.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> -JR

Waterford and Gunnar as well..far better choice than the Serotta,
from a gadget driven company. Carbon ass end on a steel frame is
marketing, nothing more. Take a great riding frame, glue some carbon
to it and get a mediocre riding frame that won't last as long...dummm

On Jun 19, 9:46 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:47 am, SlowRunner <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 18, 4:52 am, Lou D'Amelio <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I don't know this particular bike but will comment on the genre as a
> > > whole. What do you want the bike to do ? If you're a club/recreational
> > > rider and want the ride/aesthetic of steel, there are many 'regular'
> > > steel bikes out there which will serve you better in terms of
> > > durability. If you race or want ultimate durability, these bikes are a
> > > poor compromise. Steel's strength/weight is inherently less than that
> > > of the other 3 materials (Ti, Al alloy, carbon) and it is hard to make
> > > a steel bike that is competitive weight-wise despite what steel alloy,
> > > tube thickness, etc. one uses. Extremely thin steel tubing might get
> > > the weight in a 'reasonable contemporary' range (3 lb frame) but
> > > probably will compromise durability and be 'dentable'.

> > Good points all around. I'm what you'd call an enthusiastic
> > recreational rider: I like long rides interspersed with hard/fast
> > workouts, but I don't really race. I do some time trials and I'm
> > hoping to start triathlons maybe next year, but centuries are my
> > priority.

> > I'm also considering something like a Serotta Fierte -- one of the
> > 'regular' steel bikes you refer to. It would stretch my budget, but I
> > get the impression it might serve me better in the long run.

> > Thanks for your input.

> > -JR

> Waterford and Gunnar as well..far better choice than the Serotta,
> from a gadget driven company. Carbon ass end on a steel frame is
> marketing, nothing more. Take a great riding frame, glue some carbon
> to it and get a mediocre riding frame that won't last as long...dummm-

Probably costs less to make, definitely sells for more $; it's easy to
see why they do it.

On Jun 19, 8:46 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Waterford and Gunnar as well..far better choice than the Serotta,
> from a gadget driven company. Carbon ass end on a steel frame is
> marketing, nothing more. Take a great riding frame, glue some carbon
> to it and get a mediocre riding frame that won't last as long...dummm

Aside from their lack of carbon, what makes Waterford/Gunnar far
better? According to their website, there are no dealers in my area,
so I'd have to travel some distance even to test-ride one.

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the "major" brands: Giant,
Felt, Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Scattante, etc.? From what I've
seen, ~$3K will get you high-end components (Dura-Ace window dressing)
on a so-so frame.

Thanks...!
-JR