Salt Lake City

Robert McMillen

Guest
Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
rent a road bike or mtb (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).

Thanks, Robert McMillen [email protected] www.ssrc.msstate.edu/robert

mnt bike: wasatch touring http://www.xmission.com/~wtouring/ the're the closest to downtown.......
kinda depends on what section of town you'll be in. If you're actually up the hill in Park City,
Jans http://www.jans.com/ or Cole Sport http://www.colesport-usa.com/home/home.html have both our
best mtn riding may still be snow covered in May......

Robert McMillen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
> decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
> rent a road bike or mtb (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).

Can't recommend a shop per se, although there are quite a few good ones:

Fisher, Canyon, Guthrie, Highland, REI are places you might try. Great road rides include any of
several canyons: Little Cottonwood (steep and relatively short, Big Cottonwood (steep for a part of
the early going and longish), Mill Creek (steep in sections and often snowed in at this point in the
year, although snows were weak), Emigration (most gentle and continues over to the east side for a
quite long ride). Any number of mtb routes in the foothills with excellent views and tracks.

> Thanks, Robert McMillen [email protected] www.ssrc.msstate.edu/robert

"Robert McMillen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
> decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
> rent a road bike or
mtb
> (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).

I don't know about bike shops, but Steven Sheffield might be able to give you some tips about
wives 2,3 & 4.

Robert McMillen wrote:
> Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
> decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
> rent a road bike or mtb (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).
>
> Thanks, Robert McMillen [email protected] www.ssrc.msstate.edu/robert

The usual shops have been recommended. May is a good time to do the flats that start from the
airport and head up toward Antelope Island. If your timing is right, there should be an annual
supported century ride with plenty of serious riders in "early" season training. Last year the temp
was 95... Cruel for that early in the season.

Emigration and East Canyons is a very popular road ride, not too vertical (well over 2000' though).
City Creek is immediately north of downtown, and is a sometimes-steep ride essentially closed to
cars, lots of foot traffic and a 15mph "speed limit". (Just ride politely and you'll be okay.) Oh,
there's a slot limit on it, I always forget whether it's an odd or even route for bikes. Try the
other canyons if you want your ass kicked.

Antelope and Stansbury Islands are good mtb rides that time of year. Check at the shop to see if
they have any bug reports though. If they're already buggy, the foothills will be open. The
Shoreline trail northeast of downtown, accessible from Memory Grove (one block east of the north end
of State Street) is a good ride. Mormon Flats, top of East Canyon, is a short easy one with a few
technical spots. Park City has some low elevation or south face trails worth riding.

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young
soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what
would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world into ever
greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
> Robert McMillen wrote:
>> Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
>> decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
>> rent a road bike or mtb (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).
>>
>> Thanks, Robert McMillen [email protected] www.ssrc.msstate.edu/robert

> The usual shops have been recommended. May is a good time to do the flats that start from the
> airport and head up toward Antelope Island. If your timing is right, there should be an annual
> supported century ride with plenty of serious riders in "early" season training. Last year the
> temp was 95... Cruel for that early in the season.

> Emigration and East Canyons is a very popular road ride, not too vertical (well over 2000'
> though). City Creek is immediately north of downtown, and is a sometimes-steep ride essentially
> closed to cars, lots of foot traffic and a 15mph "speed limit". (Just ride politely and you'll be
> okay.) Oh, there's a slot limit on it, I always forget whether it's an odd or even route for
> bikes. Try the other canyons if you want your ass kicked.

> Antelope and Stansbury Islands are good mtb rides that time of year. Check at the shop to see if
> they have any bug reports though. If they're already buggy, the foothills will be open. The
> Shoreline trail northeast of downtown, accessible from Memory Grove (one block east of the north
> end of State Street) is a good ride. Mormon Flats, top of East Canyon, is a short easy one with a
> few technical spots. Park City has some low elevation or south face trails worth riding.

How is the snow melt progressing? Is the Pipeline accessible yet?

> Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning
> young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight
> in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world
> into ever greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

In article <[email protected]>, "Kurgan Gringioni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Robert McMillen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
> > decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
> > rent a road bike or
> mtb
> > (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).
>

> I don't know about bike shops, but Steven Sheffield might be able to give you some tips about
> wives 2,3 & 4.

Right now, I'm too busy buying a house to keep wives 8, 9, and 13 happy ...

pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est

Clovis Lark wrote:

> How is the snow melt progressing? Is the Pipeline accessible yet?

Heck, it's been years since I rode the Pipeline. I'll guess that it still needs a couple weeks. It's
70+ here today, but we got snow two days ago.

Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young
soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what
would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world into ever
greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

I was down on the east bench by mill creek today (70+ degress) and it looks like everthing around
7000' is pretty clear, and by mid may ought to be no problem....

Clovis Lark wrote:
> Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Robert McMillen wrote:
>>
>>>Hi. I'm traveling to Salt Lake City for work in mid-May. Can anyone recommend a shop that rents
>>>decent bikes? Also, any ride recommendations would be appreciated? I have not decided whether to
>>>rent a road bike or mtb (weather and bike availability will influence that decision).
>>>
>>>Thanks, Robert McMillen [email protected] www.ssrc.msstate.edu/robert
>

>>The usual shops have been recommended. May is a good time to do the flats that start from the
>>airport and head up toward Antelope Island. If your timing is right, there should be an annual
>>supported century ride with plenty of serious riders in "early" season training. Last year the
>>temp was 95... Cruel for that early in the season.
>

>>Emigration and East Canyons is a very popular road ride, not too vertical (well over 2000'
>>though). City Creek is immediately north of downtown, and is a sometimes-steep ride essentially
>>closed to cars, lots of foot traffic and a 15mph "speed limit". (Just ride politely and you'll be
>>okay.) Oh, there's a slot limit on it, I always forget whether it's an odd or even route for
>>bikes. Try the other canyons if you want your ass kicked.
>

>>Antelope and Stansbury Islands are good mtb rides that time of year. Check at the shop to see if
>>they have any bug reports though. If they're already buggy, the foothills will be open. The
>>Shoreline trail northeast of downtown, accessible from Memory Grove (one block east of the north
>>end of State Street) is a good ride. Mormon Flats, top of East Canyon, is a short easy one with a
>>few technical spots. Park City has some low elevation or south face trails worth riding.
>

> How is the snow melt progressing? Is the Pipeline accessible yet?
>

>>--
>>--
>>Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning
>>young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight
>>in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it could only plunge that part of the world
>>into ever greater instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

And that means a nasty burning season is about to start again. Encourage all to be dilligent...