Salt or Salt Subsitute?

Atkins Dude

Guest
Do most of you avoid salt on induction? If so, do you use a salt substitute
(0 sodium) instead of regular salt? Does using salt or a salt substitute
have any negative effect during induction?

Thanks.

I don't recall (but I could be wrong) Atkins restricting sodium on the
plan. I think you'd be safe using either in moderation unless directed
otherwise by a medical professional

DW
"Atkins Dude" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do most of you avoid salt on induction? If so, do you use a salt
> substitute (0 sodium) instead of regular salt? Does using salt or a salt
> substitute have any negative effect during induction?
>
> Thanks.

No, salt's effect is always temporary, if you eat a bunch in a day you may
retain a bit of water and not see a weight loss but if you eat less the next
day the water will leave.

In news:[email protected],
Atkins Dude <[email protected]> stated
| Do most of you avoid salt on induction? If so, do you use a salt
| substitute (0 sodium) instead of regular salt? Does using salt or a
| salt substitute have any negative effect during induction?
|
| Thanks.

There is no need to restrict salt intake as part of Atkins. I do try
not to use too much, but that is just because we all tend to get lots
of it from many sources. I'd only really be monitoring it if it were
necessary for a medical condition, eg hypertension.

"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No, salt's effect is always temporary, if you eat a bunch in a day you may
> retain a bit of water and not see a weight loss but if you eat less the
> next
> day the water will leave.
>
> In news:[email protected],
> Atkins Dude <[email protected]> stated
> | Do most of you avoid salt on induction? If so, do you use a salt
> | substitute (0 sodium) instead of regular salt? Does using salt or a
> | salt substitute have any negative effect during induction?

This is not how it works for everyone! I eat excess salt 1 day I spend the
next week trying to get rid of it.. Of coarse I am dumb enough that I dont
learn my lesson to NOT do it again ;)

Tori

--
Xavier 10/04 "Hey mommy I can reach the middle of the coffee table if I
stand right here"

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tori M." <[email protected]> wrote:

> "FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > No, salt's effect is always temporary, if you eat a bunch in a day you may
> > retain a bit of water and not see a weight loss but if you eat less the
> > next
> > day the water will leave.
> >
> > In news:[email protected],
> > Atkins Dude <[email protected]> stated
> > | Do most of you avoid salt on induction? If so, do you use a salt
> > | substitute (0 sodium) instead of regular salt? Does using salt or a
> > | salt substitute have any negative effect during induction?

> This is not how it works for everyone! I eat excess salt 1 day I spend the
> next week trying to get rid of it.. Of coarse I am dumb enough that I dont
> learn my lesson to NOT do it again ;)

It's just retained water. You don't need to "do" anything to get rid of
it.

--
---
Chris Smolinski

"Chris Smolinski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Tori M." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > No, salt's effect is always temporary, if you eat a bunch in a day you
>> > may
>> > retain a bit of water and not see a weight loss but if you eat less the
>> > next
>> > day the water will leave.
>> >
>> > In news:[email protected],
>> > Atkins Dude <[email protected]> stated

>> This is not how it works for everyone! I eat excess salt 1 day I spend
>> the
>> next week trying to get rid of it.. Of coarse I am dumb enough that I
>> dont
>> learn my lesson to NOT do it again ;)

> It's just retained water. You don't need to "do" anything to get rid of
> it.

Well next time your ankles feel like a over inflated balloon for a week you
can not try to help it get off. I prefer to activly get rid of the excess..
after all it is uncomfortable.

Tori

--

Atkins Dude wrote:

> Do most of you avoid salt on induction?

No. Atkins is a fat loss system. Avoiding salt
is based on the false idea that since salt causes
water retention that water is actually fat.
Water actually is not fat. Extremely hard concept
for someone standing on a scale looking at a
number.

Atkins triggers water loss without avoiding salt.
Avoiding salt means you haven't paid attention to
the principles of the plan. Then again eating
excess salt isn't a part of the plan either so
salting your food isn't mandatory. Restaurant
food is generally over salted so if you don't
want to salt your food at home that doesn't
automatically count as avoiding salt.

> If so, do you use a salt substitute
> (0 sodium) instead of regular salt?

No. There is no reason to avoid sodium. There is
reason to pursue potassium so you are't completely
off. The stuff to use is lite salt that's 50-50
sodium and potassium salts.

> Does using salt or a salt substitute
> have any negative effect during induction?

Salt has no effect on fat gain or fat loss. Salt
effects water retention. Water is not fat no matter
how much staring at the scale makes you want to
think it is. Use a tape measure and only use the
average readings over a period of time not the
scale reading or any one day. Learning what of
the scale readings is fat and what is water is a
very hard lesson for a lot of people.

Avoid salt only if you still have bloating
problems after you have completed Induction. Since
Induction cures most bloating problems, the number
of people who have any cause to avoid salt while
on Atkins is quite low. Nitrates remain as one
of the most common causes of bloating but avoiding
salt does nothing to effect nitrate bloating.

It isn't harmfull to avoid salt while on Atkins
(unless you avoid it to the point of a sodium
deficiency) so more avoid salt than actually need
to. Do not put any effort into it. All effort
aimed at fighting water is effort wasted from
fighting fat. And ultimately all effort aimed at
fighting water is effort wasted period. No amount
of effort will keep water retention from happening
on occasion. It's a road to frustration, avoid
it.