Salt-packed anchovies?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Stark Raven, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad just
    stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months? Well, I had
    to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.

    I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened, they
    begin losing their flavor.

    What's the scoop? And can you buy a smaller amount of salt-packed anchovies--something less
    than 2 lbs.?

  2. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:260220040717006471%[email protected]...
    > I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad just
    > stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months? Well, I
    > had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    >
    > I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened,
    > they begin losing their flavor.
    >
    > What's the scoop? And can you buy a smaller amount of salt-packed anchovies--something less
    > than 2 lbs.?

    A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but they had to be boned so I went
    back to oil packed.

  3. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:260220040717006471%[email protected]...
    > > I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad
    > > just stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months?
    > > Well, I had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    > >
    > > I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened,
    > > they begin losing their flavor.
    > >
    > > What's the scoop? And can you buy a smaller amount of salt-packed anchovies--something less than
    > > 2 lbs.?
    > >
    > A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but they had to be boned so I
    > went back to oil packed.

    I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using the
    correct "boned" and not the too common and ignorant "deboned."

    --
    Peter Aitken

  4. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gsv%[email protected]...

    > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > the correct "boned" and not the too common
    and
    > ignorant "deboned."

    Quibble but disagree -- strictly on the basis of precision, the transitive verb "deboned" has but
    one meaning, whereas the word "boned" has numerous of them, and only one of them means the removal
    of bones in meats or fish. In this sense most contemporary dictionaries accord them equal definition
    in opposite senses, such as we have with the infamous "flammable" and "inflammable."

    Not that you in any way committed a boner, Peter...the OED does not recognize "debone."

    pavane

  5. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:gsv%[email protected]...

    > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > the correct "boned" and not the too common
    and
    > ignorant "deboned."

    talking of which I have a bone to pick with you. At your recommendation I bought a knife sharpener
    from some guy who crafts them in his garage in Seattle or somewhere; excellent results, but damn,
    the effort involved!!
    :))

  6. Alzelt

    Alzelt Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:

    > "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:260220040717006471%[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad
    >>>just stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months?
    >>>Well, I had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    >>>
    >>>I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened,
    >>>they begin losing their flavor.
    >>>
    >>>What's the scoop? And can you buy a smaller amount of salt-packed anchovies--something less than
    >>>2 lbs.?
    >>>

    >>A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but they had to be boned so I
    >>went back to oil packed.
    >>

    > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > the correct "boned" and not the too common and ignorant "deboned."

    Actually, Peter, the process of boning an anchovy or Baltic herring is quite simple and fast. I
    watche the SBF do it quite often. Small does not mean difficult. In fact, I had some fresh grilled
    sardines in Collioure a couple of years ago, and boned them myself, even though it was my first
    time. Quite simple.
    --
    Alan

    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
    ter stay home."
    -- James Michener

  7. Pavane

    Pavane Guest

    "pavane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:6uw%[email protected]...

    > "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:gsv%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > > the correct "boned" and not the too common
    > and
    > > ignorant "deboned."
    > >

    > Quibble but disagree -- strictly on the basis of precision, the transitive verb "deboned" has but
    > one meaning, whereas the word "boned" has numerous of them, and only one of them means the removal
    > of bones in meats or fish. In this sense most contemporary dictionaries accord them equal
    > definition in opposite senses, such as we have with the infamous "flammable" and "inflammable."
    >
    > Not that you in any way committed a boner, Peter...the OED does not recognize "debone."

    Nor does my spell-checker, apparently.

    pavane

  8. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Anthony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:gsv%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > > the correct "boned" and not the too common
    > and
    > > ignorant "deboned."
    > >

    > talking of which I have a bone to pick with you. At your recommendation I bought a knife sharpener
    > from some guy who crafts them in his garage in Seattle or somewhere; excellent results, but damn,
    > the effort involved!!
    > :))

    I am glad you are getting excellent results. I think that excellent results with effort are a lot
    more satisfying than excellent results without ffort - do you agree?

    --
    Peter Aitken

  9. Notbob

    Notbob Guest

    On 2004-02-27, pavane <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Not that you in any way committed a boner, Peter...the OED does not recognize "debone."

    Ah, but declam do.

    nb

  10. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Anthony
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:260220040717006471%[email protected]...
    > > I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad
    > > just stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months?
    > > Well, I had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    > >
    > > I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened,
    > > they begin losing their flavor.
    > >
    > > What's the scoop? And can you buy a smaller amount of salt-packed anchovies--something less than
    > > 2 lbs.?
    > >
    > A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but they had to be boned so I
    > went back to oil packed.

    Do you remember where you bought the 2 oz cans? Or a brand name?

    Tks

  11. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:270220040710070560%[email protected]...
    > > A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but
    they
    > > had to be boned so I went back to oil packed.
    > >
    > Do you remember where you bought the 2 oz cans? Or a brand name?

    No, I'm sorry. It was a while ago in a specialty food store I go to very occasionally. I believe
    they were Portugese. If I go there again I'll take a look and post the info. Have you tried to
    google it?

  12. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:OJy%b.35436$%
    > I am glad you are getting excellent results. I think that excellent
    results
    > with effort are a lot more satisfying than excellent results without ffort - do you agree?
    >

    > --
    Dunno about that, after all I do buy lottery tickets each week. :)

  13. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "alzelt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:fZy%[email protected]...

    > Peter Aitken wrote:

    > >>A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but
    they
    > >>had to be boned so I went back to oil packed.
    > >>

    > > I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    > > the correct "boned" and not the too common
    and
    > > ignorant "deboned."
    > >

    > Actually, Peter, the process of boning an anchovy or Baltic herring is quite simple and fast. I
    > watche the SBF do it quite often. Small does not mean difficult. In fact, I had some fresh grilled
    > sardines in Collioure a couple of years ago, and boned them myself, even though it was my first
    > time. Quite simple.
    > --

    Oh, I know - I do it all the time. My "what a job" comment was in reference to spending 8 hours a
    day at such a task.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  14. Stark Raven wrote:

    > I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad just
    > stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months? Well, I
    > had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.

    Cans? Cans aren't intended to keep after being opened. The ones in a jar will keep for a little
    while if kept in the fridge, so I get the tiny jars and have an occasional anchovie on whatever.

    > I had heard salt-packed would keep indefinitely. But I'd also heard and once the can is opened,
    > they begin losing their flavor.

    Every so often I see dried salted cod or herring. Sardines are closely related to herring (by taste,
    I have no idea about family and genus) so I suppose dried salted sardines are available somewhere
    and they would keep after being opened. Sort of sardine jerky?

  15. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >(Doug Freyburger)

    >Stark Raven wrote:
    >>
    >> I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad
    >> just stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months?
    >> Well, I had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    >
    >Cans? Cans aren't intended to keep after being opened.

    Hmm, I've never seen salt packed anchovy packaged in metal, would eat right through in short order
    unless those cans are of gold; large quantities in wooden kegs, small quantities in glass jars...
    oil packed in tins.

  16. Reg

    Reg Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:

    > Hmm, I've never seen salt packed anchovy packaged in metal, would eat right through in short order
    > unless those cans are of gold; large quantities in wooden kegs, small quantities in glass jars...
    > oil packed in tins.

    Here's some:

    <http://www.agferrari.com/index.php/item/department/Emilia-Romagna/item/3493.html>

    And I don't think your "no salt in metal containers" theory holds up very well.

  17. Reg

    Reg Guest

  18. Alzelt

    Alzelt Guest

    Peter Aitken wrote:
    > "alzelt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:fZy%[email protected]
    > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    >

    >>Peter Aitken wrote:

    > they

    >>>I wonder who bones the oil-packed ones? What a job! By the way, my complements to you for using
    >>>the correct "boned" and not the too common
    >
    > and
    >
    >>>ignorant "deboned."
    >>>

    >>Actually, Peter, the process of boning an anchovy or Baltic herring is quite simple and fast. I
    >>watche the SBF do it quite often. Small does not mean difficult. In fact, I had some fresh grilled
    >>sardines in Collioure a couple of years ago, and boned them myself, even though it was my first
    >>time. Quite simple.
    >>--
    >

    > Oh, I know - I do it all the time. My "what a job" comment was in reference to spending 8 hours a
    > day at such a task.

    I have a feeling that the women doing this work have been doing so for many years. And I bet they
    have some wonderful discussions going on without paying one bit of attention to their work.
    --
    Alan

    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
    ter stay home."
    -- James Michener

  19. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, PENMART01
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >(Doug Freyburger)
    >

    > >Stark Raven wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I thought they'd keep but after a couple of months, they're tasting a little whangey. Not bad
    > >> just stronger, getting closer to the ultra-salty, oil-packed version. Why a couple of months?
    > >> Well, I had to buy a 2 lb. can and we don't eat anchovies every day.
    > >
    > >Cans? Cans aren't intended to keep after being opened.
    >
    > Hmm, I've never seen salt packed anchovy packaged in metal, would eat right through in short order
    > unless those cans are of gold; large quantities in wooden kegs, small quantities in glass jars...
    > oil packed in tins.

    The cans/tins come with a heavy rubber/plastic covers for sealing purposes, but after three months
    the rim is showing some corrosion. Hmmmmm. Maybe that's the whangey taste.

  20. Stark Raven

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Stark Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:270220040710070560%[email protected]...
    > > > A while ago I bought some salt packed in little cans, 2 oz or so, but
    > they
    > > > had to be boned so I went back to oil packed.
    > > >
    > > Do you remember where you bought the 2 oz cans? Or a brand name?
    > >
    > No, I'm sorry. It was a while ago in a specialty food store I go to very occasionally. I believe
    > they were Portugese. If I go there again I'll take a look and post the info. Have you tried to
    > google it?

    Yeap. Briefly. The smallest size seems to be 600 gr which is around 1.3 lbs. They also come in 2.2,
    4.4 and 11 lbs sizes. But so far nothing smaller than 1.3 lbs.