Salty roads

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Chipotle, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Chipotle

Chipotle New Member

Quick question for the experienced PT users: Dare I take my PT Pro out on the road today? We are experiencing some of the first nice weather of the Spring and there is salty water all around. Would you use a different wheel?

Tags:

2. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

If we're just talking puddles then that wouldn't keep me from taking out my PT Pro wheel, and I'd have a hard time *not* taking the PM out on the first outdoor ride of the Spring. Just give it a good cleanup when you get home.

3. Chipotle

Chipotle New Member

Well, I played it safe and didn't use the PT. Of course, I'm convinced my outdoor power was a personal record but, I can't know. Oh well.

Thanks, keep the comments coming. I'm interested in all opinions.

4. zaskar

zaskar New Member

I don't see how you guys can ride in MI, with the roads the way they are. You must also be one of the lucky ones in MI who has a job.

5. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

Everything is melting here and I use my Pro for these sorts of rides. When I first bought it 3 years ago, it was really touchy about water. You could merely threaten it with water and it would stop transmitting. Saris fixed that and it's been almost water-proof since. I feel like I could take it swimming with me, even though my better sense says not to. :) I've been using it for most winter rides for the past couple of years. I leave the sand and salt on the bike and the wheel for days at a time (it's my winter bike).

As for salt getting into the works, if it gets in with water, I guess there's not much you can do about that. As for the wheel (and the rest of the bike) just wash it off when you get home.

Have you ridden it in wet conditions before? If it's OK in the wet, this time of year is no worse. Most of the wheel (outside the insides of the hub, I guess) is aluminum - not steel - and it's not going to rust like steel would.

6. Chipotle

Chipotle New Member

You said it! We just had one of the best winters (skier) in a long time and now the roads are trashed. We'll be riding CX bikes with fat tires and bomb proof wheels for quite a while. As for the economy, I don't actually know anyone personally without a job or healthy business right now.
    Anyway, salty roads. Does anybody apply grease or other water repellant around the hubs more vulnerable areas? Could that possibly cause greater problems later?

7. Spunout

Spunout New Member

I ride with it in Canada all the time. Just a quick rinse afterwards, no probs.

8. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

If you use the wrong type of grease, it might. A non-conductive grease would be best. http://midweekclub.ca/powerFAQ.htm#Q28

9. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

True, true, you can come back with them white with salt and a bucket of warm water and its as shiny as new in seconds.

10. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

The salt and road debris will stick in the grease and wear away at any moving parts the grease and gritty mix touches. Best to just wash it after each ride before going in. Warm water, or warm water and car wash, simple green, dish detergent anything mild and safe on plastic and rubber.

11. Steve_B

Steve_B New Member

I wash with Simple Green and water too. Just be sure that you rinse everything thoroughly. There have been some well documented issues with Simple Green eating into chains. Not a big deal unless you soak the chain in it full strength, but still, rinse the chain well and you should be OK.

12. Chipotle

Chipotle New Member

Well, my hub survived the very wet ride. However, it didn't fare so well after the washing. I guess pouring rinse water liberally over the hub was a mistake. I went to ride the next day and the hub was no longer sending. I removed the cover and drained - yes, drained the water out, left it open to dry per instructions and it works fine now.
    Can I use dielectric tune-up grease to seal the large o-ring/cover? Even the small o-ring?

13. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

Chipotle-your cover must have been loose or O-ring worn out to the point of being non-existent. Any white grease will do on the o-ring, it doesnt have to be dielectric, but if its what youve got-use it. And then see if Saris will sell/send you a new o-ring and cover.

I have ridden my PT through a downpour on sub 40 degree day and no water in the hub and I have sprayed my hub with the hose and same thing.