Salzburg to Vienna

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Alex Starke, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Alex Starke

    Alex Starke Guest

    Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
    really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.

    --
    Alex Starke

    Tags:

  2. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    There is bike path the whole way. Both Bikeline http://www.bikeline.at/ and Schubert & Franzke
    http://www.map2web.cc/schubert-franzke/html/touristischeangebote/radkarten/radkarten.html have
    guides in English (but websites in German).

    I cycled the path in October and had a couple of rough sections because of the floods, but they were
    passable and should be 100% by spring. See my photos at
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

    The most spectacular section is from Krimml to Salzburg so, if you have the time, I suggest you
    start at Krimml. Take the train from Salzburg to Zell am see, stay overnight there, take the
    narrow-gage train to Krimml and cycle back to Zell. That way you can stay two nights in the same
    hotel or hostel and leave most of your stuff. There is a good hostel in Zell.

    Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
    >really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.
    >
    >--
    >Alex Starke

  3. Alex Starke

    Alex Starke Guest

    Great photos Ken! Did you stop in Grein or Enns? We went from Linz to Vienna in May 2000 and it was
    beautiful in the Wachau. When we got to Melk the wind had been at us all day from Grein so we jumped
    a boat down to Durnstein. We liked Durnstein so much we stayed 2 days at the Stockingerhof. Good
    food and excellent wine (but we didn't have any bad meals in the whole country). Thanks for the info
    on your trip. That will be my next one and I hope to do a guidebook on it.
    --
    Alex Starke [email protected] "Ken Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There is bike path the whole way. Both Bikeline http://www.bikeline.at/ and Schubert & Franzke

    http://www.map2web.cc/schubert-franzke/html/touristischeangebote/radkarten/r adkarten.html
    > have guides in English (but websites in German).
    >
    > I cycled the path in October and had a couple of rough sections because of the floods, but they
    > were passable and should be 100% by spring. See my photos at
    > http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm
    >
    > The most spectacular section is from Krimml to Salzburg so, if you have the time, I suggest you
    > start at Krimml. Take the train from Salzburg to Zell am see, stay overnight there, take the
    > narrow-gage train to Krimml and cycle back to Zell. That way you can stay two nights in the same
    > hotel or hostel and leave most of your stuff. There is a good hostel in Zell.
    >
    > Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
    > >really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Alex Starke

  4. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    I did not stop in either town, nor in Durnstein except for the time it took to take off my rain gear
    and take a couple of photos. That was the 4th day with rain and I was getting discouraged. Now I
    feel I should go back to the Wachau and see it properly.

    Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Great photos Ken! Did you stop in Grein or Enns? We went from Linz to Vienna in May 2000 and it was
    >beautiful in the Wachau. When we got to Melk the wind had been at us all day from Grein so we
    >jumped a boat down to Durnstein. We liked Durnstein so much we stayed 2 days at the Stockingerhof.
    >Good food and excellent wine (but we didn't have any bad meals in the whole country). Thanks for
    >the info on your trip. That will be my next one and I hope to do a guidebook on it.

  5. Bikerider7

    Bikerider7 Guest

    "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<%Lh%[email protected]>...
    > Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
    > really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.

    I biked from the Swiss border to Linz, passing through Innsbruck, Saltzburg. My original plan was to
    go all the way to Vienna, but I abandoned that plan because, well, I found the whole route to be
    kind of boring.

    If you are headed toward Passau, I would forget Saltzburg and go to Cescke Budejovice instead. The
    route north from Linz follows a really nice river. On hot summer days, the locals hang out at the
    river, drinking beer, inner-tubing, etc.

    I biked to Passau from Cescke Budejovice in a day (a long day). Goes through farmland on a broad
    plateau. I spent half the day climbing up a long, gradual gradiant, then a long thrilling
    downhill into Passau. I saw a several German bike tourers along the way, so it must be a fairly
    popular route.

  6. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Gee, the Copenhagen to Berlin route on the Bikeline site looks interesting. Has anyone done it? I
    don't know the N Germany countryside and wonder if it is interesting.

  7. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    There is a German language equivalent to rec.bicycles.rides,
    de.rec.fahrrad. It has about 4 times as many messages every day than we have here (I guess we should
    be embarassed). If you speak German or are prepared to use bablefish or some other translation
    program, you would probably get many responses. You could also post in English because a lot of
    people on there speak English.

    Ken

    [email protected] (Ken) wrote:

    >Gee, the Copenhagen to Berlin route on the Bikeline site looks interesting. Has anyone done it? I
    >don't know the N Germany countryside and wonder if it is interesting.

  8. Sewnsurg

    Sewnsurg Guest

    Has anyone cycled north from Linz all the way to Prague? Any info about the route?

    Andrew

    news:[email protected]...