Salzburg to Vienna

Alex Starke

Guest
Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.

--
Alex Starke

There is bike path the whole way. Both Bikeline http://www.bikeline.at/ and Schubert & Franzke
http://www.map2web.cc/schubert-franzke/html/touristischeangebote/radkarten/radkarten.html have
guides in English (but websites in German).

I cycled the path in October and had a couple of rough sections because of the floods, but they were
passable and should be 100% by spring. See my photos at
http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm

The most spectacular section is from Krimml to Salzburg so, if you have the time, I suggest you
start at Krimml. Take the train from Salzburg to Zell am see, stay overnight there, take the
narrow-gage train to Krimml and cycle back to Zell. That way you can stay two nights in the same
hotel or hostel and leave most of your stuff. There is a good hostel in Zell.

Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
>really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.
>
>--
>Alex Starke

Great photos Ken! Did you stop in Grein or Enns? We went from Linz to Vienna in May 2000 and it was
beautiful in the Wachau. When we got to Melk the wind had been at us all day from Grein so we jumped
a boat down to Durnstein. We liked Durnstein so much we stayed 2 days at the Stockingerhof. Good
food and excellent wine (but we didn't have any bad meals in the whole country). Thanks for the info
on your trip. That will be my next one and I hope to do a guidebook on it.
--
Alex Starke [email protected] "Ken Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There is bike path the whole way. Both Bikeline http://www.bikeline.at/ and Schubert & Franzke

http://www.map2web.cc/schubert-franzke/html/touristischeangebote/radkarten/r adkarten.html
> have guides in English (but websites in German).
>
> I cycled the path in October and had a couple of rough sections because of the floods, but they
> were passable and should be 100% by spring. See my photos at
> http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown/austria1.htm
>
> The most spectacular section is from Krimml to Salzburg so, if you have the time, I suggest you
> start at Krimml. Take the train from Salzburg to Zell am see, stay overnight there, take the
> narrow-gage train to Krimml and cycle back to Zell. That way you can stay two nights in the same
> hotel or hostel and leave most of your stuff. There is a good hostel in Zell.
>
> Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
> >really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.
> >
> >--
> >Alex Starke

I did not stop in either town, nor in Durnstein except for the time it took to take off my rain gear
and take a couple of photos. That was the 4th day with rain and I was getting discouraged. Now I
feel I should go back to the Wachau and see it properly.

Ken "Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Great photos Ken! Did you stop in Grein or Enns? We went from Linz to Vienna in May 2000 and it was
>beautiful in the Wachau. When we got to Melk the wind had been at us all day from Grein so we
>jumped a boat down to Durnstein. We liked Durnstein so much we stayed 2 days at the Stockingerhof.
>Good food and excellent wine (but we didn't have any bad meals in the whole country). Thanks for
>the info on your trip. That will be my next one and I hope to do a guidebook on it.

"Alex Starke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%Lh%[email protected]>...
> Anybody out there ever taken this route. I have biked from Linz to Vienna along the Donau. I am
> really curious about the Salzburg to Passau biking.

I biked from the Swiss border to Linz, passing through Innsbruck, Saltzburg. My original plan was to
go all the way to Vienna, but I abandoned that plan because, well, I found the whole route to be
kind of boring.

If you are headed toward Passau, I would forget Saltzburg and go to Cescke Budejovice instead. The
route north from Linz follows a really nice river. On hot summer days, the locals hang out at the
river, drinking beer, inner-tubing, etc.

I biked to Passau from Cescke Budejovice in a day (a long day). Goes through farmland on a broad
plateau. I spent half the day climbing up a long, gradual gradiant, then a long thrilling
downhill into Passau. I saw a several German bike tourers along the way, so it must be a fairly
popular route.

Gee, the Copenhagen to Berlin route on the Bikeline site looks interesting. Has anyone done it? I
don't know the N Germany countryside and wonder if it is interesting.

There is a German language equivalent to rec.bicycles.rides,
de.rec.fahrrad. It has about 4 times as many messages every day than we have here (I guess we should
be embarassed). If you speak German or are prepared to use bablefish or some other translation
program, you would probably get many responses. You could also post in English because a lot of
people on there speak English.

Ken

[email protected] (Ken) wrote:

>Gee, the Copenhagen to Berlin route on the Bikeline site looks interesting. Has anyone done it? I
>don't know the N Germany countryside and wonder if it is interesting.

Has anyone cycled north from Linz all the way to Prague? Any info about the route?

Andrew

news:[email protected]...