Sam Posey is a fucking idiot

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steven L. Sheff, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. He's got the gift of gab, but he's full of shite!

    "In 1997, only a month before the Tour de France, Miguel Indurain retired."

    Funny ... I thought January 2, 1997 was 6 months before the Tour, not 1 month.

    "In 1992, Indurain's biggest rival was Toni Rominger" ... Uh ... Yeah ... Considering that Bugno and
    Chiapucci were 3rd & 2nd (respectively), and Rominger wasn't even AT that Tour, somehow I doubt that
    Toni caused Big Mig any grief in '92

    Tags:

  2. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BB20DF2B.142D%[email protected]...

    > He's got the gift of gab, but he's full of shite!

    No he's not because he reads from a script. Posey would actually need a little knowledge about
    cycling to be full of crap. Reminds me of when he worked in the Lemond tours. I think his thing was
    race car circuit.

    B-

  3. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    And he talks funny.

    I hate him - lets pay gypsies to kidnap him.

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BB20DF2B.142D%[email protected]...

    > He's got the gift of gab, but he's full of shite!
    >
    > "In 1997, only a month before the Tour de France, Miguel Indurain
    retired."

    > Funny ... I thought January 2, 1997 was 6 months before the Tour, not 1 month.
    >
    > "In 1992, Indurain's biggest rival was Toni Rominger" ... Uh ... Yeah ... Considering that Bugno
    > and Chiapucci were 3rd & 2nd (respectively), and Rominger wasn't even AT that Tour, somehow I
    > doubt that Toni caused Big
    Mig
    > any grief in '92

  4. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BB20DF2B.142D%[email protected]...
    > >
    > > He's got the gift of gab, but he's full of shite!

    I think his thing was race car circuit.

    > B-

    And, as a commentator, he was crap at that, too.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Read. Think. Type. Send.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, k?

    For some people, quantity IS quality...

  5. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    He did soem F1 for speedvision.

    OMG what a retard. The other two commentators actually CORRECTED him! Even Murray Walker was
    never that bad.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. Howard Kveck wrote:
    >> "Steven L. Sheffield" wrote:
    >>>
    >>> He's got the gift of gab, but he's full of shite!
    >>
    > I think his thing was race car circuit.

    Great, let's get Jackie Stewart to do commentary for TIOOYK!

    "Oouch! Loook at LAnce taeking that chicane with care",

    "uh, Jackie, he's going slow because its an uphill 20% grade..."

    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

  7. Bikerecker

    Bikerecker Guest

    Posey is an articulate, forceful commentator on F1 and other motorsports. He drove in a couple of F1
    races and won Sebring, with Brian Redman, back in the
    70s. He is widely repected in motorsports circles. And, apparently, he has covered Le Tour, way,
    way back when. Don't know who shovelled the stuff he delivered on OLN the other night, but he
    is usually pretty damn good, whether the subject is cars or bikes. IMO, having a "crossover"
    like Sam talk about cycling lends a lot of credibility to our sport. Greg

  8. "Bikerecker" < wrote in message > (Some very positive Posey stuff. And not badly done.......)

    Look, Sam Posey is a motorsports guy. Simply, that's how it is. Caldwell Can-Am (anyone else
    remember Charley Fox of C&D parking the Hudson Wire Special upside down in a tree? OOPS, before you
    were born), Trans-Am Challengers, F3000 Surtees/Posey, he is who and how he is. He IS articulate,
    thanks to Kent/Cornwall prep ed, but if I had to pick a motorsports guy to talk cycling it is either
    Rahal or Tracy.

    Preference to Rahal. He rode a carbon Look back in the day, and went AL when it mattered. I
    asked him about that; he answered, " I was able to get on top of the gear", and 'nuf said. What
    enables YOU?

    Ewoud, this is not unlike Alcala pulling a TDF stage out on Spa. Rolls up, rolls down, and out of
    sight is out of mind. A hard jump, out of sight around the bend, and gone. Bart can identify with
    that. Let's face it, Europhiles: in motorsports, Merckx in Belgium is Ickx. Love the x-consonant,
    btw...................................................

    -Chris Mitchell Back from futbol, sobriety-impaired.

  9. "Bikerecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Chris Mitchell wrote:
    > >but if I had to pick a motorsports guy to talk cycling it is either Rahal or Tracy.
    >
    > Why would these guys present the sport better than Sam? They both ride
    bikes,
    > but neither is a racer, and neither is a pro commentator as far as I know,
    so
    > they would not have any greater credibility than any other rec rider. Sam supposedly has
    > journalistic experience on the Tour (I heard him
    mention
    > this during one of his Road bits), which your CART boys both lack. I am sticking with the class
    > act, Sam.

    I'd pick Brian Drebber. Former announcer at T-town, now announces AMA motorcycle roadracing
    for Speed.

  10. >Carl Sundquist <> wrote in message I'd pick Brian Drebber.

    > Bikerecker <> wrote in message Why would these guys present the sport better than Sam? > > Sam
    > supposedly has journalistic experience on the >Tour which your CART boys both lack. I
    am sticking with the class act, Sam.
    >Greg Lemond. But, wait a minute, he is about as scintillating as warm
    sardines.
    >Not to mention Brian Lisles (I will give you a quarter if you can tell me
    who he is without a google search).

    Greg,

    Your quarter is safe. I searched and found http://www.fittipaldionline.com/

    Drebber could do the job:

    Thursday, April 17, 2003
    42:30A OLN BICYCLE JOURNAL: "Tour of Somerville" Join host Brian Drebber in Somerville, NJ for a
    profile on America's most venerable one-day professional road race and also the Bicycle Hall
    of Fame (30)

    OT- I cannot remember the original Mayors Cup Series announcers. The duo from Wheat Thins/Mayors Cup
    circa 1985-86-87 were good. Not that they would translate that ability to television........

    -Chris Mitchell

  11. "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]>

    > OT- I cannot remember the original Mayors Cup Series announcers. The duo from Wheat Thins/Mayors
    > Cup circa 1985-86-87 were good. Not that they
    would
    > translate that ability to television........

    Jeff Roake and a mixture of others. There was a core group of support that were at all the big
    races: Fred Patton, Beth Wrenn Estes, Greg Estes, et. al.

  12. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]>
    > >
    > > OT- I cannot remember the original Mayors Cup Series announcers. The duo from Wheat Thins/Mayors
    > > Cup circa 1985-86-87 were good. Not that they
    > would
    > > translate that ability to television........
    > >

    > Jeff Roake and a mixture of others. There was a core group of support that were at all the big
    > races: Fred Patton, Beth Wrenn Estes, Greg Estes, et. al.

    It was always Brian Drebber at the s/f (at least at the dozen or so that I did) and usually Jeff or
    Pat Saunders(?) on the backstretch. Abouat all you had to do was hang on to the finish to get a
    paying place.

    -WG

  13. Tc Rider

    Tc Rider Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:300620032124132127%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]>
    > > >
    > > > OT- I cannot remember the original Mayors Cup Series announcers. The
    duo
    > > > from Wheat Thins/Mayors Cup circa 1985-86-87 were good. Not that they
    > > would
    > > > translate that ability to television........
    > > >

    > > Jeff Roake and a mixture of others. There was a core group of support
    that
    > > were at all the big races: Fred Patton, Beth Wrenn Estes, Greg Estes,
    et.
    > > al.
    >
    > It was always Brian Drebber at the s/f (at least at the dozen or so that I did) and usually Jeff
    > or Pat Saunders(?) on the backstretch. Abouat all you had to do was hang on to the finish to get a
    > paying place.
    >
    > -WG

    Roake was a first class every time I saw him; Drebber always seemed like a bit of a blowhard
    (combined hype and ignorance in pretty significant amounts) and it didn't help that I had to give
    him a ride to SF Airport after one of Roake's Vulcan Tour stage races in NorCal. If the drive had
    lasted another hour, one of us would have died.

    -TC

  14. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:22:35 GMT, "Chris Mitchell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Look, Sam Posey is a motorsports guy. Simply, that's how it is. Caldwell Can-Am (anyone else
    >remember Charley Fox of C&D parking the Hudson Wire Special upside down in a tree? OOPS, before you
    >were born).

    NOT before I was born. I remember talking to Ray Calwell about his ideas for a Group 7 car and he
    was thinking a solid front axle and DeDion rear might be just the ticket for keeping those wide
    skins flat on the pavement.

    >Trans-Am Challengers, F3000 Surtees/Posey, he is who and how he is. He IS articulate, thanks to
    >Kent/Cornwall prep ed, but if I had to pick a motorsports guy to talk cycling it is either Rahal
    >or Tracy.

    Also knew Sam when he and Hans Stuck were driving the factory BMWs on the IMSA circuit. I was
    driving a privateer BMW. He was never quite as quick as Hans, but then who was in those days? True,
    Sam was/is a bit of an idiot but he was never as bad as Peter Gregg. ;-)

    To get this back to cycling, addressing the original poster's comments; Sam is clearly just reading
    the script as prepared by OLN's research department. Blame them for being idiots.

  15. I have no problem with sam Posey, I mean what sports commentators dosen't say the wrong things from
    time to time. Sam was definetly a strong competitor in whatever he did. Two stories I remember about
    Sam are in the early 70's he was driving a Ferrari Daytona at Riverside going down the back strait
    when after several hot laps the brakes failed at top speed, about 170mph, at the end of the strait
    Sam pitched the car sideways, scrubbed off the speed and stopped the car about 3 feet from the
    barriers. He looked over at the passenger who had almost fainted, smiled and said "I saved it!" The
    other story was from Lemans in 1971 where he finished 3rd in a Ferrari 512M behind two Porsche
    917's. A great drive really and one where he said that the feeling of driving down the 3 mile strait
    away at over 225mph and being passed now and then by the 240MPH Porsches left his Ferrari pitching
    in their wake like a weather vain and that was a very nervous feeling. He's still the man in my
    book. Not many people in this life compete like he did....so I'd give him a break Freddy

  16. John Everett > wrote in message
    > NOT before I was born. I remember talking to Ray Calwell about his ideas for a Group 7 car and he
    > was thinking a solid front axle and DeDion rear might be just the ticket for keeping those wide
    > skins flat on the pavement.

    Just the ticket for keeping all that horsepower on, err..over... the pavement.

    To topic: most announcers are tasked to several differing sports or events. The preparation done by
    the announcer usually shows in the quality of the announcer's performance. Maybe we should juice the
    announcers. Think of Sam Posey whacked on pot belge. -Chris Mitchell

  17. Lewdvig

    Lewdvig Guest

    OK - that is a good story. I like him now.