Same old story - carbon w/105 or alloy w/ultegra?

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
All of my life, 22 years, i've been a mountain bike rider. With some good hills to ride in around home, i thought it was something i would just keep on doing. However my friend gave me a ride on his road bike, and i was instantly taken to how rigid the feel was and how exhilarating the speed could be on the road. His bike was nothing special, '05 OCR 2, but it was a totally different riding experience than my usual slog through hills dodging rutts and low branches, which is still unbelievable fun.

Now, who in their right mind wouldn't be blown away by the chance to own a new Cervelo R3 (yes i mean you IzzyG!) or Specialized Roubaix Pro but for the average rider it's not really worth the coins. However i thought i would save myself the trouble of upgrading in the first 6 weeks and go for something a little better than entry level, and i mean very little.

Which would be the better option for me to take? Full Carbon with 105 gears, like a TCR 2 composite. Or something like a TCR 1 alloy frame with Ultegra running gear? I know a lot of you will say go the carbon, for various reasons but keeping in mind ultegra is a half decent step up. Thats open for the critics too.

I know this is an age old question that gets asked far too much in this forum but it's really a decision i don't want to make lightly, having never owned a road bike. Unless someone has a full carbon frame with dura-ace gear they want to off load for under $2000AUD... No? Anyone?

When i bought my bike, i considered going up to Ultegra. But nearly everybody i spoke to said the latest 105 componentry was every bit as good the Ultegra gear. Even the people at the bike shop said that unless i was riding something like 500km/week, that i shouldn't bother going up to Ultegra or Dura Ace. In fact, the sales person i dealt with said she has Dura Ace at the moment, but if she were to buy a new bike, she'd probably go with a 10 speed 105 setup just 'cause the difference is so negligble especially when you consider the massive difference in price.

Always go with the best frame. You can always change the components later.

105 still uses a 9 speed chain. Ultegra is 10 speed. The 10 speed chains don't last as long and they are more expensive. I prefer the 9 speed set up.

I just went through the same decision making process... I went Carbon/105 - it was very recent, so this might not mean much, but I am glad I chose to go that route.

This 105 system feels awfully good to me.

I have 105, my wife has Ultegra. Both are '05. They perform exactly the same.

I've had a mountain bike with LX for 12 years, and it has never had a breakdown of any sort. I expect 105 will last just as well.

Yes, the new 105 10spd gears are definently very good. Although carbon fibre does take some of the road shock out, you can get alloy frames just as light.

I have a carbon mountain frame, and it is pretty forgiving on the body, but my road bike is all aluminum, and it feels just fine. My wife has a Giant OCR1 (all alu) and that bike rides like a Cadillac).

I think the benefits of carbon for most people are a little exaggerated. Just run your tires a little softer.:D

A $1800 carbon frame is extremely different than a $3000 carbon frame -- BUYER BEWARE!!!

a $1800 carbon frame is EXTREMELY different than a $3000 carbon frame. BUYER BEWARE!