Same procedure as last winter...

Mikael Seierup

Guest
First snow fell yesterday and heres what happened...

- "I haven't heard of any snow" (The Department head of Roadservice Copenhagen.)
- "You haven't seen that white stuff on the ground?"
- "Ah thats slush. We've had some slush and slippery roads but nothing I'd call snow."

In this most of the cyclists in Copenhagen plus the Meteorological Institue disagrees. When I went
out at 11 AM there were lots of places where you had to ride slowly cause the bikepath hadn't been
cleared and was dangerously icy. Luckily my TE-clone was up to it with its wide, knobby
lowpressure tires.

Its a friggin farce though. They fired two leaders and 30-40 employees after last years fiasko.
Should have shot a few instead. ;o)

Mikael

>When I went out at 11 AM there were lots of places where you had to ride slowly cause the bikepath
>hadn't been cleared and was dangerously icy.

Here in Finland some slush is not a problem, but sometimes in weekends they do not plow the snow
from bikepaths, although there is so much that you just cannot keep the bike moving. It usually
starts snowing on friday afternoon :(

Rain is up-front, in-your-face bad, doing its worst in front of God and everybody. Snow too.. no
apologies, whump! Here it is. Deal with it.

But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark then
hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a sunshiny day!
Ice is bad.

> Rain is up-front, in-your-face bad, doing its worst in front of God and everybody. Snow too.. no
> apologies, whump! Here it is. Deal with it.
>
> But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark then
> hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a sunshiny
> day! Ice is bad.

I still like it in my tea this time of year.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"GeoB" skrev...
> Rain is up-front, in-your-face bad, doing its worst in front of God and everybody. Snow too.. no
> apologies, whump! Here it is. Deal with it.

Trouble with snow is that if its left to its own devices and subjected to enough bikes it turns to
ice... bad ice. ;-) This is what happened here because the people in charge of dealing with it are
incompetent.

Mikael

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rain is up-front, in-your-face bad, doing its worst in front of God and everybody. Snow too.. no
> apologies, whump! Here it is. Deal with it.
>
> But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark then
> hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a sunshiny
> day! Ice is bad.

Ice. Ice. What is ice? Isn't that something that comes in cubes in the freezer? We don't got no
stinkin' ice here in Silicon Valley, 'cept in our tea.

However it was 30F this morning at 6 when I would have left to ride to work, had I not had a Dr's
appointment. Brrrrr. Can you say "popsicle toes?"

<Chas> In warm, wet, Silicon Valley CA recovering from his back injury

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Rain is up-front, in-your-face bad, doing its worst in front of God and everybody. Snow too.. no
> apologies, whump! Here it is. Deal with it.
>
> But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark then
> hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a sunshiny
> day! Ice is bad.

Here in NE Ohio it's easy to see the ice. Just look where there isn't snow. :)

Hillel wrote:

> > But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark
> > then hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a
> > sunshiny day! Ice is bad.
>
> Here in NE Ohio it's easy to see the ice. ...

Especially clinking in one's glass - there, ice is GOOD!

Hillel wrote:

> "GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > But ice... ice is sneaky and tricky, disguised, doing its worst, quietly forming in the dark
> > then hiding in shadows and low spots, under leaves, ambushing the unwary in the middle of a
> > sunshiny day! Ice is bad.
>
> Here in NE Ohio it's easy to see the ice. Just look where there isn't snow. :)

Here in Wyoming one only has to watch for tire tracks leading off highway into snow banks to
recognize ice.

Have lanyards to gates in conical plastic buckets front and rear of BikeE to dribble sand under
tires through small tubes.

Works GREAT so long as I don't fail to top off buckets at end of each day's ride.

Fell once from a upwrong and that HURT!

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Trouble with snow is that if its left to its own devices and subjected to enough bikes it turns to
> ice... bad ice. ;-) This is what happened here because the people in charge of dealing with it are
> incompetent.
>
> Mikael

Mikael, Get use to it Mikael. I was listening to a programme and they said because of global
warming, the ocean currents are disrupted and the Gulf stream feeding heat to Northern Europe during
the winter will diminish in strength. You'll have weather like we have in Canada.

"Edward Ing" skrev...
> Get use to it Mikael. I was listening to a programme and they said because of global warming, the
> ocean currents are disrupted and the Gulf stream feeding heat to Northern Europe during the winter
> will diminish in strength. You'll have weather like we have in Canada.

Actually so far winters have been warmer. Green winters we call them. I dont mind ice and snow as
such. I do mind that the people we pay taxes to clear roads, bikepaths and sidewalks don't do
their job.

Mikael

On 21 Dec 2003 19:23:58 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Ing)
wrote:

>Get use to it Mikael. I was listening to a programme and they said because of global warming, the
>ocean currents are disrupted and the Gulf stream feeding heat to Northern Europe during the winter
>will diminish in strength.

Oh dear. We'll all be killed.

"Zippy the Pinhead" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 21 Dec 2003 19:23:58 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Ing) wrote:
>

> >Get use to it Mikael. I was listening to a programme and they said because of global warming, the
> >ocean currents are disrupted and the Gulf stream feeding heat to Northern Europe during the
> >winter will diminish in strength.
>
> Oh dear. We'll all be killed.

You could move to Africa? :)