Sampson Stratics

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by drj, Feb 1, 2005.

1. drj

drj New Member

Anyone have any experience with the new carbon-fiber Sampson Stratics brake-set?

Tags:

2. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Bump!

I too am wondering if anyone has a set... I mean they are way lighter, just as pretty, and much cheaper than record, so what gives?

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

But will they brake anywhere near as well?:confused:

4. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

I guess it will like the "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a toostie pop" question... unless someone that actually has them can chime in one of these days...

Even without knowing I am willing to try them out, but Eric Sampson told me they are out of stock and have a two month backog on orders so it may be a bit longer before I have an answer (or rather an opinion) to the question to share myself.

5. ctkrohn

ctkrohn New Member

According to excelsports.com, Record brakes are 308 grams/pair, Sampson brakes are 314grams/pair. The Sampson brakes are pretty cool looking though, I must say.

If you're looking for cheap, light brakes, the Cane Creek BRS-200SL brakes are 64 grams lighter and $10 cheaper than the Stratics. They're single-pivot though.

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

dang you are right... www.wrenchscience.com had a problem with its bike builder and it was using the weight for the zero gravity brakes when calculating the custom build. I should have known better when I was building my hypothetical bike and I was able to save $44 AND 225 grams. Oh well, the weight savings isn't that important in the real world, only in the obsessive compulsive minds of cyclists...not that i know what that is like or anything.

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Pardon me, what is a toostie pop? We do not seem to have them here in the Old World? ;)

8. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

It is a lollypop (candy on a stick) with a fake chocolate center... when I was a kid in the US there always was this comercial with some kids questioning an all-knowing owl "how many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie pop?" The owl took like three licks and then bit into it (which everyone does), and then said "the world may never know...". That may not be a totally accurate rendition, but that is the gist of it.

I was really just being a smart-ass because until someone that has them can give feedback the thread is useless (case in point: my posts on this thread :D ).

9. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Ahhh. Now I get it (about the lollypop). I will assist you in maintaining the uselessness of this thread... what the web is really all about! :D

10. drj

drj New Member

Alright. I bit the bullet and bought the brakes. The carbon work is beautiful. the brakes are double-pivot and very similar to DA brakes in construction. All of the hardware is first-rate and the brakes are definitely light! I didn't pull out a scale but they are significantly lighter than the 2000 vintage Campy Record brakes that were on the bike.

Stopping power seems fine although I haven't tried a screaming descent from a mountain yet. All in all, I think it was a $199 (including shipping) well-spent. I'll get my Roubaix Pro under 16 lbs. yet.

11. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

Cool thanks for the update. Did you order them direct from Eric?

12. drj

drj New Member

Yep. Very prompt service too. I have a feeling these are going to be VERY popular once word gets out. I really can't tell the difference in stopping power from the Campy Record brakes and they look waaaay cool!