SAN DIEGO COOK-IN

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Charles Gifford, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
    This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on a
    hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating to
    the cook-in will be sent via the cook-in mailing list. If you can attend or if you want to think
    about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in the
    subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this time. I
    will be emailing many of you too.

    It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have time
    to think about it.

    Best, Charlie

    Tags:

  2. Orion

    Orion Guest

    Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    what and is there a theme?

    Suzan

    "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
    > This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on
    > a hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating
    > to the cook-in will be sent via the cook-in mailing list. If you can attend or if you want to
    > think about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in
    > the subject line.
    > bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to
    this
    > time. I will be emailing many of you too.
    >
    > It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have
    > time to think about it.
    >
    > Best, Charlie

  3. "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:_5LYb.9[email protected]...
    > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    > what and is there a theme?
    >
    > Suzan

    I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you cook
    whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't actually
    have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others bring
    several dishes. We always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed with
    traditional SoCal Margaritas, food and general excess. The main activity is talking and getting
    together with old friends and making new ones. The whole event is very, very relaxed. With
    outstanding food!

    Charlie

  4. Orion

    Orion Guest

    What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking Kahlua bread pudding.

    ciao,

    Suzan

    "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work.
    How
    > > is it decided who makes what and is there a theme?
    > >
    > > Suzan
    >
    > I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
    > cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
    > actually have to cook
    anything!
    > Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others bring several dishes. We
    > always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed with traditional SoCal
    > Margaritas, food and general excess.
    The
    > main activity is talking and getting together with old friends and making new ones. The whole
    > event is very, very relaxed. With outstanding food!
    >
    > Charlie

  5. On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:20:08 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

    >I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
    >cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
    >actually have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and
    >others bring several dishes. We always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed
    >with traditional SoCal Margaritas, food and general excess. The main activity is talking and
    >getting together with old friends and making new ones. The whole event is very, very relaxed. With
    >outstanding food!
    >
    >Charlie

    'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(

    I cooked there, as I didn't have a kitchen at the time. I brought almost everything with me, and
    then I used the Barto's utensils, equipment, and so forth. I made 3 dishes, one of which was
    unintended until I went to the farmer's market in town that morning, and saw lovely squash blossoms.

    Christine

  6. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:37 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
    <[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
    this:

    >As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
    >This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on
    >a hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating
    >to the cook-in will be sent via the cook-in mailing list. If you can attend or if you want to think
    >about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in the
    >subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this time.
    >I will be emailing many of you too.
    >
    >It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have time
    >to think about it.

    Sign us up, Charlie!

    The one last June was a B-L-A-S-T!!!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  7. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    Charles Gifford wrote:

    > "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    > > what and is there a theme?
    > >
    > > Suzan
    >
    > I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
    > cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
    > actually have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and
    > others bring several dishes. We always have lots to eat!

    My advice is that if you really love to cook and are a completely hog center stage by bringing
    enough for the whole party all by your lonesome, you owe it to the group to bring some cute,
    conversational big eaters. Or as Ron Sulivan once said: I bring men bearing pies. blacksalt

  8. "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:37 GMT, "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> arranged random
    > neurons, so they looked like this:
    > >
    > >It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have
    > >time to think about it.
    > >
    > Sign us up, Charlie!
    >
    > The one last June was a B-L-A-S-T!!!
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    It was fun indeed! I still think about Peter's Grilled Pork. That was my favorite, but there were so
    many good things. I should have made a double batch of Kay's Margaritas though.

    Charlie

  9. "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking Kahlua bread pudding.
    >
    > ciao,
    >
    > Suzan

    I'm thinking about Kahlua brad pudding now. Yum! I'll look forward to it.

    Charlie

  10. "Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > 'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(

    No. That's my fault. I didn't have enough money at the time. I have time now to save up for this one
    so I can make them. If Kay comes she can make them herself! Jamie made some excellent coctails
    though! There were Fred's Mai Tais and, and, uh, the other one.

    > I cooked there, as I didn't have a kitchen at the time. I brought almost everything with me, and
    > then I used the Barto's utensils, equipment, and so forth. I made 3 dishes, one of which was
    > unintended until I went to the farmer's market in town that morning, and saw lovely squash
    > blossoms.

    Sorry I ate some of your squash blossoms before you could cook them. I'm such a pig. ;-)

    Charlie

    > Christine

  11. "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Charles Gifford wrote:
    > >
    > > "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work.
    How
    > > > is it decided who makes what and is there a theme?
    > > >
    > > > Suzan
    > >
    > > I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
    > > cook whatever you want. You can make something
    and
    > > bring it or cook it at the event. You don't actually have to cook
    anything!
    > > Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others
    bring
    > > several dishes. We always have lots to eat!
    >
    > My advice is that if you really love to cook and are a completely hog center stage by bringing
    > enough for the whole party all by your lonesome, you owe it to the group to bring some cute,
    > conversational big eaters. Or as Ron Sulivan once said: I bring men bearing pies. blacksalt

    Excellent advice!

    Charlie

  12. In article <[email protected]>, "Orion" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    > what and is there a theme?

    > Suzan

    Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve. The
    Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  13. Charles Gifford wrote:

    > As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
    > This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on
    > a hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating
    > think about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in
    > the subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this
    > time. I will be emailing many of you too.
    >
    > It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have
    > time to think about it.
    >
    > Best, Charlie

    Hi Charlie

    Patti and I had a great time at the last one, so you can pretty much count on us this time as well.
    We'd like to invite our son and his wife if that'd be OK.

    Rich

  14. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:14:49 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> 'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(
    >
    >No. That's my fault. I didn't have enough money at the time. I have time now to save up for this
    >one so I can make them. If Kay comes she can make them herself! Jamie made some excellent coctails
    >though! There were Fred's Mai Tais and, and, uh, the other one.

    Delilahs

    >Sorry I ate some of your squash blossoms before you could cook them. I'm such a pig. ;-)

    But you're a nice pig. You liked the rest of my food too.

    I should put up the pictures from that cook-in. I have them already to be uploaded to the site where
    I put pictures for viewing. I have tons from that cook-in. I will try to do it sometime this week.

    The only thing that didn't come out right was the little video I shot on my camera, of Jamie mixing
    the Delilahs, and Brian singing Delilah as she shook them. That was priceless!

    Christine

  15. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rich McCormack
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Patti and I had a great time at the last one, so you can pretty much count on us this time as
    > well. We'd like to invite our son and his wife if that'd be OK.

    Only if they know how to eat!

    :)

    --
    Dan Abel Sonoma State University AIS [email protected]

  16. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    :
    : "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    : > What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm
    thinking Kahlua
    : > bread pudding.
    : >
    : > ciao,
    : >
    : > Suzan
    :
    : I'm thinking about Kahlua brad pudding now. Yum! I'll look
    forward to it.
    :
    : Charlie
    :
    : ======

    Recipe please!!!!!!???

  17. Orion

    Orion Guest

    > : > What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking
    Kahlua bread pudding.
    > : >
    > : > ciao,
    > : >
    > : > Suzan
    > :
    > : I'm thinking about Kahlua brad pudding now. Yum! I'll look
    > forward to it.
    > :
    > : Charlie
    > :
    > : ======
    >
    > Recipe please!!!!!!???

    I can't remember where I got the recipe, but here it is;

    Kahlua Bread Pudding

    1 loaf of country egg bread 6 cups heavy cream
    1/2 bar of Mexican sweet chocolate
    2/2 cup Kahlua coffee liqueur 6 eggs 1 cup brown sugar 1 Tbsp cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks 3
    Tbsp vanilla

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then cut bread into 1 inch slices. Heat cream, raisins, chocolate and
    Kahlua until hot.

    Whisk eggs until frothy, add the sugar cinnamon and 1/2 of vanilla and salt to the egg mixture
    until combined.

    Remove cream mixture from the stove and whisk into the egg mixture.

    Build the bread pudding by placing 1 layer of bread into pan. Pour 1/4 of the custard mixture over
    the layer, making sure to cover all surfaces of the bread. Repeat the process until the pudding is
    built to the top of the pan.

    Pour the remaining custard mixture over the pudding and bake for about 1 hour or until the bread
    pulls away from the sides. The bread pudding will be firm, yet a little wobbly.
    **************************
    Sometimes I add dried cherries, and sometimes I leave out the chocolate, it's a very manipulatable
    (?) recipe. And I love desserts w/booze in them.

    Suzan

  18. Alzelt

    Alzelt Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    >>what and is there a theme?
    >

    >>Suzan
    >

    > Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve.
    > The Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.

    Harry,

    I think it must be allowable for Minnesotans to drink at Cookins out of their home areas. :)

    --
    Alan

    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
    ter stay home."
    -- James Michener

  19. On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:47:17 GMT, alzelt
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
    >>>what and is there a theme?
    >>

    >>>Suzan
    >>

    >> Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve.
    >> The Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.
    >
    >Harry,
    >
    >I think it must be allowable for Minnesotans to drink at Cookins out of their home areas. :)

    Yikes, Alan.

    I had believed it was a requirement when you travelled to the Left Coast, eh? [or anywhere out of
    Minniesota].

    Harry

  20. On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:09:03 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
    <barbsc[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
    like this:

    >Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve. The
    >Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.

    Yuh, right <eyeball rolling> That *was* Miz Barb "Minnesota" Schaller at Margaret Suran's brunch
    suckin' down a few of the bloody marys Bill made, nu?

    You'll have to come out for the Sandy Eggo cookin. I have a rollaway you'll just love!