SAN DIEGO COOK-IN

Charles Gifford

Guest
As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on a
hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating to
the cook-in will be sent via the cook-in mailing list. If you can attend or if you want to think
about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in the
subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this time. I
will be emailing many of you too.

It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have time
to think about it.

Best, Charlie

Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
what and is there a theme?

Suzan

news:[email protected]...

"Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
> what and is there a theme?
>
> Suzan

I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you cook
whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't actually
have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others bring
several dishes. We always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed with
traditional SoCal Margaritas, food and general excess. The main activity is talking and getting
together with old friends and making new ones. The whole event is very, very relaxed. With
outstanding food!

Charlie

What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking Kahlua bread pudding.

ciao,

Suzan

"Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04...
> > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work.
How
> > is it decided who makes what and is there a theme?
> >
> > Suzan
>
> I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
> cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
> actually have to cook
anything!
> Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others bring several dishes. We
> always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed with traditional SoCal
> Margaritas, food and general excess.
The
> main activity is talking and getting together with old friends and making new ones. The whole
> event is very, very relaxed. With outstanding food!
>
> Charlie

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:20:08 GMT, "Charles Gifford"

>I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
>cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
>actually have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and
>others bring several dishes. We always have lots to eat! The theme, such as it is, is gossip mixed
>with traditional SoCal Margaritas, food and general excess. The main activity is talking and
>getting together with old friends and making new ones. The whole event is very, very relaxed. With
>outstanding food!
>
>Charlie

'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(

I cooked there, as I didn't have a kitchen at the time. I brought almost everything with me, and
then I used the Barto's utensils, equipment, and so forth. I made 3 dishes, one of which was
unintended until I went to the farmer's market in town that morning, and saw lovely squash blossoms.

Christine

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:37 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked like
this:

>As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
>This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on
>a hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating
>to the cook-in will be sent via the cook-in mailing list. If you can attend or if you want to think
>about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in the
>subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this time.
>I will be emailing many of you too.
>
>It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have time
>to think about it.

Sign us up, Charlie!

The one last June was a B-L-A-S-T!!!

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

Charles Gifford wrote:

> "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04...
> > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
> > what and is there a theme?
> >
> > Suzan
>
> I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
> cook whatever you want. You can make something and bring it or cook it at the event. You don't
> actually have to cook anything! Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and
> others bring several dishes. We always have lots to eat!

My advice is that if you really love to cook and are a completely hog center stage by bringing
enough for the whole party all by your lonesome, you owe it to the group to bring some cute,
conversational big eaters. Or as Ron Sulivan once said: I bring men bearing pies. blacksalt

"Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:11:37 GMT, "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> arranged random
> neurons, so they looked like this:
> >
> >It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have
> >time to think about it.
> >
> Sign us up, Charlie!
>
> The one last June was a B-L-A-S-T!!!
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

It was fun indeed! I still think about Peter's Grilled Pork. That was my favorite, but there were so
many good things. I should have made a double batch of Kay's Margaritas though.

Charlie

"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> 'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(

No. That's my fault. I didn't have enough money at the time. I have time now to save up for this one
so I can make them. If Kay comes she can make them herself! Jamie made some excellent coctails
though! There were Fred's Mai Tais and, and, uh, the other one.

> I cooked there, as I didn't have a kitchen at the time. I brought almost everything with me, and
> then I used the Barto's utensils, equipment, and so forth. I made 3 dishes, one of which was
> unintended until I went to the farmer's market in town that morning, and saw lovely squash
> blossoms.

Sorry I ate some of your squash blossoms before you could cook them. I'm such a pig. ;-)

Charlie

> Christine

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Charles Gifford wrote:
> >
> > "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04...
> > > Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work.
How
> > > is it decided who makes what and is there a theme?
> > >
> > > Suzan
> >
> > I'll send you additional information before too long, but to answer your questions briefly: you
> > cook whatever you want. You can make something
and
> > bring it or cook it at the event. You don't actually have to cook
anything!
> > Some folks just bring something like snacks, beer or wine and others
bring
> > several dishes. We always have lots to eat!
>
> My advice is that if you really love to cook and are a completely hog center stage by bringing
> enough for the whole party all by your lonesome, you owe it to the group to bring some cute,
> conversational big eaters. Or as Ron Sulivan once said: I bring men bearing pies. blacksalt

Excellent advice!

Charlie

In article <_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
> what and is there a theme?

> Suzan

Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve. The
Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Charles Gifford wrote:

> As you might have seen in another thread, it is almost time for the 5th annual Sandy Eggo Cook-In.
> This year it will be Saturday, June 12th. It will be at Katherine and David Barto's lovely home on
> a hill above Poway. There will be more information posted later. Most of the information relating
> think about it, please let me know here or email me at [email protected] and put COOK-IN in
> the subject line. A bunch of people could not make it last time but said they would like to this
> time. I will be emailing many of you too.
>
> It is only 4 months away so set that date aside for your rfc friends and cooking fun! You have
> time to think about it.
>
> Best, Charlie

Hi Charlie

Patti and I had a great time at the last one, so you can pretty much count on us this time as well.
We'd like to invite our son and his wife if that'd be OK.

Rich

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:14:49 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>
>> 'cept we didn't have the Margaritas last time..... ;(
>
>No. That's my fault. I didn't have enough money at the time. I have time now to save up for this
>one so I can make them. If Kay comes she can make them herself! Jamie made some excellent coctails
>though! There were Fred's Mai Tais and, and, uh, the other one.

Delilahs

>Sorry I ate some of your squash blossoms before you could cook them. I'm such a pig. ;-)

But you're a nice pig. You liked the rest of my food too.

I should put up the pictures from that cook-in. I have them already to be uploaded to the site where
I put pictures for viewing. I have tons from that cook-in. I will try to do it sometime this week.

The only thing that didn't come out right was the little video I shot on my camera, of Jamie mixing
the Delilahs, and Brian singing Delilah as she shook them. That was priceless!

Christine

> : > What a great time! I'm looking forward. Hmmmmmmmm, I'm thinking
Kahlua bread pudding.
> : >
> : > ciao,
> : >
> : > Suzan
> :
> : I'm thinking about Kahlua brad pudding now. Yum! I'll look
> forward to it.
> :
> : Charlie
> :
> : ======
>
> Recipe please!!!!!!???

I can't remember where I got the recipe, but here it is;

Kahlua Bread Pudding

1 loaf of country egg bread 6 cups heavy cream
1/2 bar of Mexican sweet chocolate
2/2 cup Kahlua coffee liqueur 6 eggs 1 cup brown sugar 1 Tbsp cinnamon or 2 cinnamon sticks 3
Tbsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, then cut bread into 1 inch slices. Heat cream, raisins, chocolate and
Kahlua until hot.

Whisk eggs until frothy, add the sugar cinnamon and 1/2 of vanilla and salt to the egg mixture
until combined.

Remove cream mixture from the stove and whisk into the egg mixture.

Build the bread pudding by placing 1 layer of bread into pan. Pour 1/4 of the custard mixture over
the layer, making sure to cover all surfaces of the bread. Repeat the process until the pudding is
built to the top of the pan.

Pour the remaining custard mixture over the pudding and bake for about 1 hour or until the bread
pulls away from the sides. The bread pudding will be firm, yet a little wobbly.
**************************
Sometimes I add dried cherries, and sometimes I leave out the chocolate, it's a very manipulatable
(?) recipe. And I love desserts w/booze in them.

Suzan

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
>>what and is there a theme?
>

>>Suzan
>

> Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve.
> The Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.

Harry,

I think it must be allowable for Minnesotans to drink at Cookins out of their home areas. :)

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and avoid the people, you might bet-
ter stay home."
-- James Michener

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:47:17 GMT, alzelt
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article <_5LYb.9252$tM5.6545@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Charlie, I will be going, but don't know how these cook-ins work. How is it decided who makes
>>>what and is there a theme?
>>

>>>Suzan
>>

>> Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve.
>> The Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.
>
>Harry,
>
>I think it must be allowable for Minnesotans to drink at Cookins out of their home areas. :)

Yikes, Alan.

I had believed it was a requirement when you travelled to the Left Coast, eh? [or anywhere out of
Minniesota].

Harry

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:09:03 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
like this:

>Think potluck. Some folks prepare their offering on the premises, some bring it ready to serve. The
>Californians drink a lot. The Minnesotans don't drink. It's why we're so boring.

Yuh, right <eyeball rolling> That *was* Miz Barb "Minnesota" Schaller at Margaret Suran's brunch
suckin' down a few of the bloody marys Bill made, nu?

You'll have to come out for the Sandy Eggo cookin. I have a rollaway you'll just love!