San Diego : travel tips

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
I'm off to San Diego and California for a 9 days, shortly.
A good friend of mine is getting hitched (married) out there.

My friend has told me all about Ocean Beach, Pacfic Beach, Misson Beach etc and the Blarney Stone in Claremont.

Staying in SD for a few of days and then intend to travel on to Sacremento and San Fran for a couple of more days.

Can anyone recommend "must see" places over there?

Thanks

If you are into people watching, in the Bay Area, you simply must go to the Castro District, and to the University of Berkeley while you are there.

Muir Woods is a wonderful place to drive to if you like a wooded area.

The Napa valley to take in a winery or two if you are a wine drinker, or are just interested in the wine making process..

In San Francisco's Golden Gate Park is a nice little Japanese tea house for a relaxing pot of tea if you enjoy that sort of thing.

I forget the name of the place, but there is a little hole in the wall restaurant on route 92 in Half Moon Bay just off of Highway 1 that has a wonderful crab sandwich that I like to eat whenever I get back to the area.

If you like seafood, there are several nice places in San Francisco down at/near Fisherman's Wharf. One of my favorites is Alioto's. The chain, "Joe's Crab Shack" also has a restaurant near there... a fun place to eat.

In San Diego, eat at ****'s Last Resort. Quality dining at its best. Watch out for the St. James hotel: sure, it is across the street from a Hustler store, complete with dancing girls in the windows, but some of the beds in the hotel have bed bugs. Those bites itch like crazy. Do go to the hotel once to ride what used to be the world's fastest elevator. Yup. It provides an interesting perspective on technology.

Greg & Alien : thanks very much for the sightseeing/visitor tips.

I look forward to visiting your beautiful part of the world.

Thanks

Off to the Great Satan tomorrow.

Gonna miss the opening of the Giro next weekend, but it's a friends wedding, so I'll make an exception this year.

My mate lives near Oakhurst, but his bride is from San Diego, so the weddings in SD.

Gonna get to see San Fran and Sacremento.
And I've to catch up some other stuff while I'm over there - couple of issues to sort out once and for all.

Was hoping to bring my beloved Pinarello with me.........but Mrs Limerickman has once dictated otherwise.

limerickman said:
Off to the Great Satan tomorrow.

Gonna miss the opening of the Giro next weekend, but it's a friends wedding, so I'll make an exception this year.

My mate lives near Oakhurst, but his bride is from San Diego, so the weddings in SD.

Gonna get to see San Fran and Sacremento.
And I've to catch up some other stuff while I'm over there - couple of issues to sort out once and for all.

Was hoping to bring my beloved Pinarello with me.........but Mrs Limerickman has once dictated otherwise.
ssssssssssssssss

Just back from west coast of USA : great trip.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Jetlagged though.