San Francisco 1 day ride

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Joel Roth, Jun 9, 2003.

  1. Joel Roth

    Joel Roth Guest

    I'll be in San Francisco at the end of June. I have one free day to take a ride. I'm looking
    suggestions for a road bike loop of about 50 miles, beginning downtown.

    thanks

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    joel roth <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'll be in San Francisco at the end of June. I have one free day to take a ride. I'm looking
    > suggestions for a road bike loop of about 50 miles, beginning downtown.

    There is a marked "49 mile scenic drive" through the city. All but one short freeway section is open
    to bicycles and there is an easy alternative to the freeway section. The route visits most of the
    popular tourist sites within the city.

    If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
    Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.

  3. Ken Brown

    Ken Brown Guest

    When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
    terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted
    a trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though
    it eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger
    bomb in a truck.

    The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
    the alerts?

    Ken

    Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

    >If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
    >Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.

    Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
    replying via e-mail

  4. No, the Golden Gate is open. (t is patrolled but most of the patrols are out of sight. Actually on
    the weekends,it is nice, they separate the pedestrians and bicyclists. Each is on their own side.
    You might want to try posting the news group ba.bicycles. It is a bay area group that is very active
    and seems to be very helpful. Do some searches on the web as there are several interesting areas.
    Most bike shops in the area have guide books. Personally, I would get out of the city and get into
    the surrounding areas, either north or south.

    Ken Brown wrote:
    > When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
    > terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted a
    > trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though it
    > eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger bomb in
    > a truck.
    >
    > The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
    > the alerts?
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
    >>Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.
    >

    > Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam"
    > if replying via e-mail

  5. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Ken Brown wrote:
    > When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
    > terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted a
    > trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though it
    > eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger bomb in
    > a truck.
    >
    > The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
    > the alerts?

    It was closed to cyclists for awhile after 9/11, but reopened a long time ago and has not been
    closed for the higher alert levels. Shortly after it reopened I rode across towing my kayak (a kayak
    trip was leaving from Sausalito) and was expecting that I might be stopped, but the patrol guards
    didn't say a word.