San Francisco 1 day ride

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joel Roth

I'll be in San Francisco at the end of June. I have one free day to take a ride. I'm looking
suggestions for a road bike loop of about 50 miles, beginning downtown.

thanks

joel roth <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'll be in San Francisco at the end of June. I have one free day to take a ride. I'm looking
> suggestions for a road bike loop of about 50 miles, beginning downtown.

There is a marked "49 mile scenic drive" through the city. All but one short freeway section is open
to bicycles and there is an easy alternative to the freeway section. The route visits most of the
popular tourist sites within the city.

If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.

When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted
a trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though
it eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger
bomb in a truck.

The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
the alerts?

Ken

Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
>Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam" if
replying via e-mail

No, the Golden Gate is open. (t is patrolled but most of the patrols are out of sight. Actually on
the weekends,it is nice, they separate the pedestrians and bicyclists. Each is on their own side.
You might want to try posting the news group ba.bicycles. It is a bay area group that is very active
and seems to be very helpful. Do some searches on the web as there are several interesting areas.
Most bike shops in the area have guide books. Personally, I would get out of the city and get into
the surrounding areas, either north or south.

Ken Brown wrote:
> When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
> terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted a
> trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though it
> eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger bomb in
> a truck.
>
> The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
> the alerts?
>
> Ken
>
> Ken <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>>If you want more open scenery, head over the Golden Gate bridge (bikes allowed on the sidewalk) to
>>Mt. Tam and/or Tiburon. You can ride back over the bridge or take the ferry.
>
>
> Ken Brown, Toronto Canada Ontario Rail Trails: http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown delete "nospam"
> if replying via e-mail

Ken Brown wrote:
> When I tried to cross the 1000 Islands bridge in May, they had closed the sidewalk because a
> terrorist code Orange was in effect. The bridge authority carried us across in a truck (I posted a
> trip report here on May 24). Apparently we could have carried a bomb in our panniers, though it
> eludes me why they wouldn't be much more concerned about the possibility of a much bigger bomb in
> a truck.
>
> The Golden Gate would be a much more probable target; do they close it to cyclists during
> the alerts?

It was closed to cyclists for awhile after 9/11, but reopened a long time ago and has not been
closed for the higher alert levels. Shortly after it reopened I rode across towing my kayak (a kayak
trip was leaving from Sausalito) and was expecting that I might be stopped, but the patrol guards
didn't say a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.