San Francisco Bay Area Cycling

leeno

Nov 26, 2007
I am planning a move to the Bay Area and would love some feedback on the best place for a cyclist to live there. I am looking for the most conmvenient place to live for access to the best road rides in the area. I typically ride 30-40 miles on weekdays and 60+ miles on the weekends and love climbing even on my spinning rides.

I don't want to live in SF and am leaning more towards Berkeley for professional reasons. However it looks like most of the best rides are in Marin County although I noticed several in East Bay as well. At this point I am just going of pure internet research, but would love some ideas from some cyclists who live there.

So, where is the best place to live in the bay area for a cyclist and why? If I lived in Berkeley, how convenient would it be to get to the BEST rides with lots of climbing in the area.

Thanks in advance!

Justin

I have been out of the area for a few years, and not really into climbing, but I know the hills above Berkeley are reportedly some good hilly rides.

Edit: For comparison, where do you live now? There is good cycling all over the bay area.

I will be in the bay area for six weeks beginning January. I too am looking for some good rides so I will report what I find if you do the same....

WIGGUM1 said:
I will be in the bay area for six weeks beginning January. I too am looking for some good rides so I will report what I find if you do the same....

In Berkeley Hills here - feel free to PM me and I can give you some great local rides....

I live and ride in the Bay Area.

The East Bay has some decent roads for cycling, but it seems to me it's hard to avoid the traffic.

Marin County has a few epic roads, but there's not that many to choose from.

My choice for both quiet back roads and abundant variety is the San Francisco peninsula. There's an amazing variety of climbs within a 30 minute ride of my home in Palo Alto.